Your Aviation Career

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
If you are/were a commercial (or ATP) pilot for a living I am interested in your career. What is an average day for you like? How is the quality of life? What do you love most about your job? If you work in a non-flying aviation field what is it and why is it great?

I have been researching and not really many shadowing videos, books, or articles out there. Obviously FWA, Ice Pilots NWT, Dust Up, etc are not exactly what the average pilot does. For that matter the magic of television cuts out 99% of the reality.

Please think of me as virtually shadowing you during an average day. I know I want to fly commercially but I don't know exactly what each commercial gig does. Sure Ag pilot, you dust fields but that's not all that they do. Since I will not have the chance to shadow any pilots, this is my try.

Here's an example from shadowing a family member who is a mechanic:
0500-Woke up
0600-On the road
0615-Coffee from 7-11
0713- Arrived at first site
0725- On roof inspecting generator
0800- I lug a flywheel, power shaft, and 2 cooling fans up four stories on a narrow ladder...We have the wrong flywheel!
0815- Correct flywheel on roof
0850- Parts installed
0915- Leave the site, I drive, he does the paperwork
1008- Arrive at warehouse, I find the trucks we are going to work on
1430- All three trucks are running again. Truck one: new engine fan Truck two: fuel pump replaced, Truck Three: Box door repaired, new wooden panels, fluids filled, brakes replaced, and refer unit's electronics replaced.
1500-Lunch/Paperwork
1600-Drop off paper work for the generator
1700-Emergency call for an overheating truck on 495
1950-Got home

PS: Pay doesn't matter! It's about enjoyment.

You'll probably get as many different answers as there are people answering, and I'm no different.

No two days are the same for me, as a rule. Most flying jobs are about the same in that you wait for a flight assignment or a scheduled flight, take it, rest, then do it again.

Some people work one or two jobs most of their career, but most in aviation have multiple jobs. I know only a hand full of people who have had just a handfull of jobs. Most have had many more.

I've worked for quite a few different companies in a number of different countries, and spend a lot of my time abroad, usually working in places that aren't tourist destinations.

In my present assignment, when I do go to work, usually it's a wake-up about four to five hours before departure. I spend an hour or two preparing for the flight, then wake up the crew an hour before it's time to leave the hotel. We leave the hotel two hours before departure, and take a van or taxi to the airport. From there we clear customs, get to the aircraft, do our preflight planning, program the nav computers, do the paperwork, and depart.

Because of the locations I usually operate, I can't discuss specifics of the flight, but duty days are typically 18-30 hours long, and involve typically 5-15 hours of flying. Typically I get 11 hours of rest before starting the next day. Days don't run during regular hours; one day may start at four in the morning, the next at two in the afternoon. There's a lot of changing of time zones, which does interfere with sleep patterns; often 11 hours of "rest" doesn't equate to much, if any sleep. We tend to stay tired all the time. A typical trip is about three weeks long, sometimes about five weeks or so, before we have a chance to go home. Time at home can be a week or two, before starting again.

Twice a year we attend ground school in one month, then simulator training the following month. This adds to the time we're gone from home.

In our case, the employer flies us commercially to the airplane, where ever it is, and we begin operating from there. Sometimes we'll go commercial to a location in the lower 48 states, and ride one of our aircraft to some point globally where we'll begin operating.

We do two basic kinds of flying. One is from certain locations to regular remote destinations in hostile areas, with multiple stops in the hostile areas, then back to the place we started It makes for a long day.

The other kind of flying typically involves 18 hour duty days, with 8-10 hours of flying. We may go from New York to Liege, where we get off the airplane, another crew gets on, and keeps flying to Bahrain. Or we may deadhead from New York to Liege, then get in the pilot seats and operate from there. From Bahrain the airplane may come back to Amsterdam, or may go on to Hong Kong via stops in intermediate locations. From there the flight typically goes to a fuel stop in japan or Siberia, then to Anchorage, chicago, Newark, and beyond.

We also do a lot of ad-hoc flights into Africa and South America, Australia, various Pacific destinations, Asia, and numerous middle eastern locations. I spend a great deal of my time in the middle east and locations east of here, in southwest Asia. Presently I'm on a "reserve" assignment, and have been given a 24 hour period of time off duty, for rest.

I've done a lot of other kinds of flying, some of which was interesting, some of which wasn't. Some of that flying has been atmospheric research, law enforcement, firefighting, ambulance, corporate, fractional, charter, cargo, airline, agricultural (crop dusting), various government employment, flight instruction, banner towing, search and rescue, aerial photography, back country work, air tour flying, etc. Because much of aviation ends up being temporary in nature and because things change, I've also spent much of my career in aircraft maintenance in varying capacities. I've always encouraged people to seek a diverse aviation background if they intend to stay in the business, and a maintenance background dovetails nicely with a flying background.

My personal opinion is that one ought to seek as broad a background as possible; learn as much about your craft as you can, and don't specialize too narrowly. There are just too many times in your career that you'll find yourself seeking work, especially in today's world when businesses close, merge, downsize, bankrupt, etc. Be ready to take supplementary jobs, especially early in your career. Don't plan on making much profit for the first ten years or more. It's expensive, it pays peanuts for a long time and it involves being ready to move multiple times to find work. Make sure you have an understanding partner or spouse.

Good luck.

Unless you go to the 121 world and fly for the airlines or else are working in some kind of supporting function for a company that has fixed hours, most aviation jobs have no two days identical with no fixed schedule. Today I'm not flying, which means that I'm at home working on the house. Tuesday, I woke up at 3 AM to go fly a part for a drilling machine from South Carolina back to PA.

More often, I wake up at 5-6 AM on flying days, but sometimes I don't need to take off until noon or later. It all depends on the customer's needs for the day, which is the nice part about 135. The less nice part is that if you don't fly, you don't get paid.

Then there's the Cloud Nine stuff, which I don't get paid for. That's typically wake up around 6 AM, fly for 8-10 hours, save a bunch of dogs, come home and go to sleep.

Heh I just thought what you do seems interesting. I guess it's the veil of secrecy in front of it.

Career counselors now advise their students to expect and prepare for the probability that they will have more than one career during their working lifetime. Now I that I know they have come to that conclusion, I don't feel so bad about all of mine.

Career counselors now advise their students to expect and prepare for the probability that they will have more than one career during their working lifetime. Now I that I know they have come to that conclusion, I don't feel so bad about all of mine.
Yes, the workforce has changed. The "go to college, get a job with a good company, work 25-30 years and retire" days are over. Have been for some time. Technology changes to quickly, entire occupational fields rise and fall rapidly. Couple that with a volitile economy and whammo. Problem is, for those of us in our mid 20's to mid 40's, we had no one warning us about this when we went to school. It is what it is. That is why I have no quams about switching careers at 38. There is no job security. It's a myth. Might as well do what makes you happy;)

For me it's pretty much a Monday - Friday 8-4 flying job. There are some dad that start earlier and get off later. Pay is not as GOP as some places but I am home almost every night to tuck my little boy into bed which means much more to me.

Like other have said no 2 days are the same

Flying in the 121 world, it can get repetitive. Your experience throughout your career will definitely change, depending on what you fly and who you fly for, but as an example here's a typical international trip:

Have a show time around 10am for an 11am departure to Tokyo. Get to the airport a little early to stop by the crew room to pick up whatever latest revisions to manuals and Jepps I might have in my v-file. There is usually at least one in there.

Meet up with the rest of the cockpit crew about 1:30 prior to departure. Print out schedule and paperwork. Gather up charts, etc and go over flight plan with the other pilots, checking weather, route (and escape routes if necessary), ETOPS requirements and redispatch requirements if required. Also figure out who is doing what break for the flight, and possibly what breaks everyone wants on the way home as well.

Head on over to the gate, meet up with the flight attendants and say hellos. Captain will give the brief for the flight, going over areas of forecast turbulence, security issues, etc.

Get on board and get the plane ready. On this flight there are 4 pilots (over 12hrs of block). 4 pilots getting a 2 pilot airplane ready makes it pretty simple. The two flying pilots will get the cockpit set up, loading the route and doing system and ETOPS checks, picking up the ATIS and getting the PDC over the ACARS. Verifying route and ETOPS entry and exit points. One of the IROs will do the walkaround while the other IRO will do the "house cleaning" chores: checking the crew rest bunks and polar environmental suit for proper servicing, checking the "brick" for all the ETOPS alternates that we don't carry in our normal Jepps, getting trash bags and water from the flight attendants, menu for our crew meals, and just general help with whatever pops up such as calls to ops for maintenance issues.

When all four pilots are up front, we do a brief. A general brief to set the tone of the flight is done by the captain and he or she will go over aborts, general plan for irregular/emergency operations, single engine special departure procedure, etc. Whoever is flying will brief the departure, noise abatement procedures, engine out procedures, any applicable weather issues, transition levels, terrain, etc.

Departure time, plane gets buttoned up and we get the all clear from the ground personnel to push. Now it's just a relaxing flight. All the BS is finally over when the tug disconnects and the motors are turning. Take off and get up to cruise altitude. On a 4 man flight we split the breaks into 2. Two guys will take the first break and the other two will take second. The CA and FO get first choice in which breaks they want with the IROs getting what's left. On a morning departure out of NYC going to NRT, the IROs will usually get first break and the crews swap out somewhere over Alaska.

Up at altitude there is a lot of updating weather forecast for the ETOPS airports to ensure they are still valid alternates. Keeping the winds updated and checking them to the forecast winds as well. Fuel, always a concern, is constantly checked against the flight plan passing nearly every waypoint. Check ins with different FIRs and log on to CPDLCs. A gaze out the window over Alaska is always beautiful and if you are upfront during the first portion of the flight you can usually see the "ice roads" of Ice Road Truckers fame in Canada.

Read-read that paragraph for about 12hrs...

Coming in to NRT everyone is up front again for the arrival. Pilot Flying briefs the arrival and approach, noting weather, terrain, single engine ops, expected runway turn off and taxi path to the gate. Flying Pilot makes an incredibly beautiful landing in NRT. Off the plane, through customs, then to the hotel, getting there about 2-3am east coast time.

Take a shower and new clothes it's not time to go out and have some fun. Usually some of the crew will meet up and go to dinner, have some drinks, and explore. Each city has a different "routine" so to speak. Narita is a fairly quiet one.

Somewhere in there you need to get some sleep. Heading back is a reverse procedure of the trip over. It's night for most of the first part of the flight, as opposed to almost all daylight flying for the trip over to NRT (especially during the summer months).

Land back home. If you left on a Tuesday you would be back on a Thursday. Due to rest requirements you need at least two days off before the next trip. Because of FAR limits and the way the monthly lines of flying are built, you will probably be off 3-7 days before working again. In general, we would only do 3 of those trips in a month. That's fine with me, though. Bouncing between two cites that are 13 time zones apart is tough on the body.

It all depends on the customer's needs for the day, which is the nice part about 135. The less nice part is that if you don't fly, you don't get paid.
Speak for yourself! :eek:

I figure I get paid to be available. That means that on the days I'm working (as opposed to being off) I might have a scheduled trip. If I don't, there's always the possibility that I'll get called for a pop-up. I just go about my own business although I can't stray too far away. We're supposed to be within an hour of the airport. It all pays the same.

As other people have mentioned, there's a wide variety of job descriptions. Even working for the same employer I've gone through a number of evolutions. I started out doing doctor outreach, air ambulance and charter, then was assigned to a couple different managed airplanes flying a combination of 91 and 135.

Speak for yourself! :eek:

Sorry, I should've stated that with my 135 job I only get paid if I fly.

If your company is hiring, though, I bet we'd move to Denver... ;)

Typical 135 gig here.

Some days are good, some can be long.

A 2 hour flight can be an all-day event.

Last edited:

This part is very true. Flying someone 2 hours will typically consume around 8 hours of my day. Of course, the drive to the plane being about 2 hours 30 minutes round trip is part of that.

Unless you go to the 121 world and fly for the airlines or else are working in some kind of supporting function for a company that has fixed hours, most aviation jobs have no two days identical with no fixed schedule. Today I'm not flying, which means that I'm at home working on the house. Tuesday, I woke up at 3 AM to go fly a part for a drilling machine from South Carolina back to PA.

More often, I wake up at 5-6 AM on flying days, but sometimes I don't need to take off until noon or later. It all depends on the customer's needs for the day, which is the nice part about 135. The less nice part is that if you don't fly, you don't get paid.

Then there's the Cloud Nine stuff, which I don't get paid for. That's typically wake up around 6 AM, fly for 8-10 hours, save a bunch of dogs, come home and go to sleep.

If thats the case you are working for the wrong company. If I don't fly I get paid. If I fly I get paid. The company has an option on your time. That is something of value and you should be paid for it!

If thats the case you are working for the wrong company. If I don't fly I get paid. If I fly I get paid. The company has an option on your time. That is something of value and you should be paid for it!

My contract is a bit different. They don't monopolize my time, I have a number of other things I do. Since they don't pay for me to be sitting around on standby, that means if they call me up and I say I can't do the flight, they can't complain.

But you are correct, I am working for the wrong company...

If you are/were a commercial (or ATP) pilot for a living I am interested in your career. What is an average day for you like? How is the quality of life? What do you love most about your job? If you work in a non-flying aviation field what is it and why is it great?

I have been researching and not really many shadowing videos, books, or articles out there. Obviously FWA, Ice Pilots NWT, Dust Up, etc are not exactly what the average pilot does. For that matter the magic of television cuts out 99% of the reality.

Please think of me as virtually shadowing you during an average day. I know I want to fly commercially but I don't know exactly what each commercial gig does. Sure Ag pilot, you dust fields but that's not all that they do. Since I will not have the chance to shadow any pilots, this is my try.

Here's an example from shadowing a family member who is a mechanic:
0500-Woke up
0600-On the road
0615-Coffee from 7-11
0713- Arrived at first site
0725- On roof inspecting generator
0800- I lug a flywheel, power shaft, and 2 cooling fans up four stories on a narrow ladder...We have the wrong flywheel!
0815- Correct flywheel on roof
0850- Parts installed
0915- Leave the site, I drive, he does the paperwork
1008- Arrive at warehouse, I find the trucks we are going to work on
1430- All three trucks are running again. Truck one: new engine fan Truck two: fuel pump replaced, Truck Three: Box door repaired, new wooden panels, fluids filled, brakes replaced, and refer unit's electronics replaced.
1500-Lunch/Paperwork
1600-Drop off paper work for the generator
1700-Emergency call for an overheating truck on 495
1950-Got home

PS: Pay doesn't matter! It's about enjoyment.

It's amazing what tone can say about us. The tone of your shadowing storyline emphasizes the idea that being a mechanic is mundane. Guess what. Flying behind an autopilot from point A and point B and looking at weather products ad nauseam is incredibly mundane. The problem is your PS statement. Pay DOES matter man. I hypothetically love "riding roller coasters", but I'm not going to accept cotton candy as compensation to do it for a living, which means I wouldn't do anything for a living just because I love it. Your PS statement is the reason there will NEVER be a pilot shortage. This job is and always be held down by the hobby pilot attitude crowd. Couple that with the fact the rest of non-aviation jobs out there have been watered down to the point where nobody expects any semblance of job security anymore (no pensions, career changes are expected et al) and it becomes much easier to rationalize doing the pilot gig for chump change because hey, at least flying is "neato".

I fly for the military and enjoy the tactical kind of flying I do. I do it in the Reserves where I had the choice of volunteering for the kind of flying I was going to do. Yep, choosy because I could afford to be. It's my life I'm pawning after all, getting to serve in the capacity I wanted to was a fair trade for my signature on the dotted line. I signed that line right after getting done running away from two degrees in aerospace engineering and one showing of the movie "Office Space", so it wasn't like I was twiddling my thumbs at my parent's basement and decided "hey I would like to fly jets" sight unseen, so I understood the concept of opportunity cost in pursuing one avenue of employment over another; I had qualifications to pursue more than just one option.

I fully admit I wouldn't have found this job interesting if I had gone airlift/cargo. That kind of flying simply isn't my cup of tea. I also do not enjoy many of the hardships that come with accepting this job. It's incredibly prohibitive to my social liberties and that is not something inconsequential. I also know this gig will come to an end in short order. Im well compensated for a flying gig. I will not do airline work, as I find it eye-gougingly boring and consider the pay structure, the non-laterally portable seniority system and the domicile base insecurity/de facto need for commuting, too volatile and not commensurate with the responsibility and time away from home it is asked of me. I will do something else for money that I can tolerate and fly for fun on the side. If the airline model ever changes those sticking points for the better, I might consider it. Footstomp: that [airline work model changes] will never happen.

Doing something for a living because it's neato is just as dense as hating your life because your boring mundane job pays great but you have no time to spend the money you make on what you really want to be doing. It really is the same difference. Find a better balance. Mechanics can have a mundane lifestyle, but if he's getting to do what he wants on his time off (based on the presumption that the majority of people don't find self-actualization in the mundane nature of the archetypical 'mechanic' day timeline), then he could very well be happier than the guy flying an Airbus with the A/P on most of the time. To include affording a private airplane the airline pilot may or may not be capable of affording mind you. For every widebody CA (who spends less than 1/3 of his career in that seat and pay level, mind you) seat there are thousands of chump change regional seats of hungry people praying their tolerance for subpar compensation and mundane lifestyle doesn't run out before they can make it to that seat. Might as well gamble your paycheck for better returns on your time, but to each their own. Find a balance. Good luck.

It's amazing what tone can say about us. The tone of your shadowing storyline emphasizes the idea that being a mechanic is mundane. Guess what. Flying behind an autopilot from point A and point B and looking at weather products ad nauseam is incredibly mundane. The problem is your PS statement. Pay DOES matter man. I hypothetically love "riding roller coasters", but I'm not going to accept cotton candy as compensation to do it for a living, which means I wouldn't do anything for a living just because I love it. Your PS statement is the reason there will NEVER be a pilot shortage. This job is and always be held down by the hobby pilot attitude crowd. Couple that with the fact the rest of non-aviation jobs out there have been watered down to the point where nobody expects any semblance of job security anymore (no pensions, career changes are expected et al) and it becomes much easier to rationalize doing the pilot gig for chump change because hey, at least flying is "neato".

I fly for the military and enjoy the tactical kind of flying I do. I do it in the Reserves where I had the choice of volunteering for the kind of flying I was going to do. Yep, choosy because I could afford to be. It's my life I'm pawning after all, getting to serve in the capacity I wanted to was a fair trade for my signature on the dotted line. I signed that line right after getting done running away from two degrees in aerospace engineering and one showing of the movie "Office Space", so it wasn't like I was twiddling my thumbs at my parent's basement and decided "hey I would like to fly jets" sight unseen, so I understood the concept of opportunity cost in pursuing one avenue of employment over another; I had qualifications to pursue more than just one option.

I fully admit I wouldn't have found this job interesting if I had gone airlift/cargo. That kind of flying simply isn't my cup of tea. I also do not enjoy many of the hardships that come with accepting this job. It's incredibly prohibitive to my social liberties and that is not something inconsequential. I also know this gig will come to an end in short order. Im well compensated for a flying gig. I will not do airline work, as I find it eye-gougingly boring and consider the pay structure, the non-laterally portable seniority system and the domicile base insecurity/de facto need for commuting, too volatile and not commensurate with the responsibility and time away from home it is asked of me. I will do something else for money that I can tolerate and fly for fun on the side. If the airline model ever changes those sticking points for the better, I might consider it. Footstomp: that [airline work model changes] will never happen.

Doing something for a living because it's neato is just as dense as hating your life because your boring mundane job pays great but you have no time to spend the money you make on what you really want to be doing. It really is the same difference. Find a better balance. Mechanics can have a mundane lifestyle, but if he's getting to do what he wants on his time off (based on the presumption that the majority of people don't find self-actualization in the mundane nature of the archetypical 'mechanic' day timeline), then he could very well be happier than the guy flying an Airbus with the A/P on most of the time. To include affording a private airplane the airline pilot may or may not be capable of affording mind you. For every widebody CA (who spends less than 1/3 of his career in that seat and pay level, mind you) seat there are thousands of chump change regional seats of hungry people praying their tolerance for subpar compensation and mundane lifestyle doesn't run out before they can make it to that seat. Might as well gamble your paycheck for better returns on your time, but to each their own. Find a balance. Good luck.

I had to quote that again because it should be read twice. Excellent post.

- And that's coming from someone who does the mundane airline flying.

I arranged the schedule so that crew rotations on the Gulfstream-V are approximately 6 weeks duration. I am paid "portal to portal" so the clock starts when I leave home and stops when I return home. My only expense while on the road are golf and other recreational and personal items. Two sets of golf clubs fit nicely in the G-V's hell-hole, using the stand-up spaces that were designed for a set of jacks that we don't carry due to the weight and impracticality of thinking that they would ever make a difference in our ability to continue a trip.

While on the road, we have a dedicated car and driver on call 24/7, since we're never sure when somebody will want to go somewhere. For that same reason, I abstain from any alcoholic beverages other than at the end of a duty day when we are sure the flying is done for at least 12 hours.

Base pay ($750/day) for a 6-week stint is ~$31,500, so working three rotations/year provides a decent ROI for 18 weeks/yr of aimlessly flying around the world or sitting in a 5-star resort in some major city or upscale resort area. The aircraft owner pays for recurrent training provided that I fly at least one rotation/yr. I can fly as many rotations as I want but have cut down significantly due to the unsettled political situation and my dislike for being away from home.

Flight plans are obtained from Universal, Air Routing or other such services, but we do our own handling and associated book-work. The other guy typically prepares the expense sheet for each trip and I do the spreadsheets and financial analyes for each rotation. During each tour we will typically make several round-trips from somewhere in the NYC area to somewhere in Europe or Middle East, and sometimes a trip to Malaysia, Indonesia of India as well. One of the more interesting aspects of this particular job is that the crew is often given the shopping list for wine and spirits purchases the duty-free store. Depending on the store's inventory of Cristal, the typical cost for each booze run is $25-30k.

The aircraft is equipped with multiple safes and multiple security systems, and each crewmember has exclusive control and accountability for a confidential and undisclosed amount of cash during each tour (think purchase price of late-model Mooney) that can be used for whatever purpose necessary, including ransom of passengers and negotiating with bad guys--and sometimes some good guys. On one trip to Indonesia, for example, we found that the fuel price was $3.67/gal if we used the card and .67/gal if paid with US$.

We operate the plane as a two-pilot crew, which can make for some long days when flying non-stop from New England to Kuwait or Rome to San Francisco. Fortunately, the cabin crew includes a Lebonese chef who brings a wonderful assortment of food for each trip, as well as coffee and espresso of sufficient strength that nobody could ever fall asleep. The cabin crew takes care of cleaning, including laundry and cleaning of all linens (napkins, table-cloths, etc) and all of the cabin supplies. All in all, not a bad gig.

When I'm not working on the primary airplane, I'm free to fill in on other airplanes, mostly on domestic trips for local/regional-based airplanes and an occasional trip as an international training captain.

My day job is operating the aviation consulting and research business that I founded almost 20 years ago. It isn't as much fun as some of the flying, but pays much better (most years, anyway) with very little need for travel.

..snip..
Base pay ($750/day) for a 6-week stint is ~$31,500, so working three rotations/year provides a decent ROI for 18 weeks/yr of aimlessly flying around the world or sitting in a 5-star resort in some major city or upscale resort area. The aircraft owner pays for recurrent training provided that I fly at least one rotation/yr. I can fly as many rotations as I want but have cut down significantly due to the unsettled political situation and my dislike for being away from home.

...snip...
My day job is operating the aviation consulting and research business that I founded almost 20 years ago. It isn't as much fun as some of the flying, but pays much better (most years, anyway) with very little need for travel.

Indeed. Thank you Wayne for illustrating my point in a much more exotic way than I did earlier. I rest my case.

And for the OP, shadowing Wayne's international contract pilot 'day' while he's on the road would be as useful to you as the runway behind you. Think median outcomes young man, not statistical outliers. They retired the Space Shuttle the other day too, just in case people are still basing their vocational choices on a re-run of Top Gun (oops, guilty....). Setting expectations from statistical outlier outcomes (Wayne's "access" level in aviation is atypical for the median American pro pilot) is where disappointment is born. Median expectations leave room for exceeding those expectations and worst case, no disappointment in your life choices if the middle is all you attain.

My 135 job:

-Wake up, plan entire day.

-Nope, get call...you are going to fly asap, pack for X days. Hurry/Pack/Drive to airport.

- 1 Hour to get the plane ready. Sit for another hour waiting for pax. Get call, they are going to be 2 hours late. Sit at fbo for another couple hours. "Hurry up and wait."

- Pax show up, they are rude, trash the airplane and very unappreciative of anything.

- Land, they leave. You clean the airplane for an hour. Eventually head to the hotel/or home so you can do it all again tomorrow.

Serious question for you. Why do you do it? Seriously. What prompts you to accept that construct in lieu of anything else, aviation or non-aviation alike? Is it lack of family pressures? The view? Flying is neato? Why do you do it?

I rather manage a Chik-fil-A and putz around on a zippy 2 seater prop job on the weekends than do what you describe, and I fly military turboprops upside down at 6Gs and 250knots in formation for a living FWIW. I want to understand the motivations that lead some people in aviation to do what they do. I offer no judgement, I simply wish to be able to empathize with all my brothers in the profession.

My job varies so much, it's impossible to tell what I'm going to do from day to day. Today, I'm not flying, but still had to go into work. 7:30 show time, up at whatever time you need to be ready to roll (I got up at 7). Went in, waited around for 3 hours or so for weather to develop/clear before launching the ship. Just ground crew today, so assisted moving the airship around on the ground. Rest of the day is waiting around at a hotel in case we are needed for a early landing, or go out to airport around 7PM to land. I have days where I fly for 4-6 hours and I have days that I'm on board for 16 hours. 16 hour duty day's aren't really that uncommon for me. Some days we go into work at 7AM, some days we go in at 3PM, depending on what kind of event we are covering.

I'd agree pay doesn't matter, what does is Quality of Life. And with my gig, there isn't much. Sure, I have no house to spend money on, no car to insure or make payments on, but I live in hotels 330+ days a year. I share vehicles with between 11 and 16 other people.

It's amazing what tone can say about us. The tone of your shadowing storyline emphasizes the idea that being a mechanic is mundane. Guess what. Flying behind an autopilot from point A and point B and looking at weather products ad nauseam is incredibly mundane. The problem is your PS statement. Pay DOES matter man. I hypothetically love "riding roller coasters", but I'm not going to accept cotton candy as compensation to do it for a living, which means I wouldn't do anything for a living just because I love it. Your PS statement is the reason there will NEVER be a pilot shortage.

What I intended with the PS was that I wouldn't want a job specifically for the pay. I know folks that don't have a HS diploma and make crazy money yet hate what they do and the hours that they do it. Obviously some would fly virtually for free but it's not something I would personally do. Makes no sense to learn a skill and then give it away.

I meant pay doesn't matter as in let's say $22/hr to fly a twin locally and come home every night vs. $32/hr to fly big jets and travel the world. In such a case I would take the lower pay for local flying. These figures are dependent upon experience of course.

I rather manage a Chik-fil-A and putz around on a zippy 2 seater prop job on the weekends than do what you describe, and I fly military turboprops upside down at 6Gs and 250knots in formation for a living FWIW. I want to understand the motivations that lead some people in aviation to do what they do. I offer no judgement, I simply wish to be able to empathize with all my brothers in the profession.

Sounds like you've never worked in aviation outside the military. You may be in for a rude awakening one day when you decide to make the switch.

Sounds like you've never worked in aviation outside the military. You may be in for a rude awakening one day when you decide to make the switch.

What switch? Re-read my posts. I've already stated my intention NOT to pursue civilian professional flying jobs outside the government/military. My squadron is made up of airline/corp pilots from all ranks, regionals to international widebody cargo. I'm fairly well educated on the idiosyncrasies of civilian pro flight. I attained my civilian ratings before I did a single day in the military (did it all part 61). I turned down a part 141 macdonalds wage CFI gig for the military. What switch again?

Just to reiterate my point, which I believe you missed, the intent of my comment was to suggest that even from my present position of enjoying aviation and the current kind of flying I do (i.e. doing what I love for a living), I would rather walk away from it all and do the archetypical 'mundane' thing of proverbially managing fast food than to accept the working conditions and compensation structure of these civilian flying jobs.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs. One cannot love what one says one loves when it leaves you unable to feed, cloth and shelter you and marginalizes you from the social interaction and validation of the people who matter to you and are around you. Can't self-actualize when you can't eat.

Last edited:
what are you gonna do after military? cubicle in your future...

Maslow's hierarchy of needs. One cannot love what one says one loves when it leaves you unable to feed, cloth and shelter you and marginalizes you from the social interaction and validation of the people who matter to you and are around you. Can't self-actualize when you can't eat.

Again, proof positive that you don't know much about making it in the civilian world of aviation.

Maslow wasn't an aviator, either.

Many civilians, who don't have the benefit of having all their expensive flight training given to them on anothers' dime, usually manage by working several jobs and doing without for a number of years, in order to establish a career.

Your own viewpoint isn't uncommon, and it's really comical sometimes to see the shock on the face of a tactical pilot who thinks his handful of hours ought to merit something more than a poverty commuter job when he gets out.

I've done a lot of different flying, from well appointed corporate jets to very austere aircraft and operating conditions in combat zones. I don't know that I'd characterize any of it as "mundane," although certainly differences exist from one kind of flying to another.

What switch? Re-read my posts. I've already stated my intention NOT to pursue civilian professional flying jobs outside the government/military. My squadron is made up of airline/corp pilots from all ranks, regionals to international widebody cargo. I'm fairly well educated on the idiosyncrasies of civilian pro flight. I attained my civilian ratings before I did a single day in the military (did it all part 61). I turned down a part 141 macdonalds wage CFI gig for the military. What switch again?

The switch that takes place when the military stops paying your salary. That switch.

I meet a lot of guys who think they're well educated on the civilian world, until they actually start working in it. It's generally a shock. Few can resist the urge to keep saying "in the USAF/USMC/USN/USAR, etc, we did it this way..."

Just to reiterate my point, which I believe you missed, the intent of my comment was to suggest that even from my present position of enjoying aviation and the current kind of flying I do (i.e. doing what I love for a living), I would rather walk away from it all and do the archetypical 'mundane' thing of proverbially managing fast food than to accept the working conditions and compensation structure of these civilian flying jobs.

I got your point the first time. It's a common viewpoint held by military aviators. It's arrogant,but common. You'd rather do something that you think is beneath you than lower yourself to the level of working as a civil pilot. Got it.

Serious question for you. Why do you do it? Seriously. What prompts you to accept that construct in lieu of anything else, aviation or non-aviation alike? Is it lack of family pressures? The view? Flying is neato? Why do you do it?

Because it has its good days as well. Im 27 years old, make a good salary and probably work like an actual 10 days a month...if that. The rest of the time is spent doing anything I want for fun which includes flying my own citabria.

Hows that?

Last edited:
I got your point the first time. It's a common viewpoint held by military aviators. It's arrogant,but common. You'd rather do something that you think is beneath you than lower yourself to the level of working as a civil pilot. Got it.
I don't share your view of former military aviators and I have never been in the military myself. I've flown with pilots from a large variety of backgrounds and I have observed that former military aviators have at least as good an attitude as anyone else.

As far as the career thing goes, people dreaming about being a pilot need to realize that is is a job. Your employer is not providing the airplane for your entertainment. There's a reason you get paid. It's all a compromise, just like any other job. What's different is that you're doing something that other people pay good money to do. However, for the most part, you are not doing it on your own terms. It seems to me that people looking in from the outside have a skewed view of what it's like to work as a pilot. They either think it would be the best thing since paper clips, or they think it would be awful.

You know, I get tired of some of the career pilots here who act like such crybabies. "I work so hard, nobody appreciates me!" Boo hoo. Well, guess what? Life is hard. Most of us have to work hard to get what we have.

And hindsight2020, I'm going to call BS on your story. Thing about the internet is anyone can claim anything with no proof. You're not upside at 250 knots, 6 Gs "for a living", etc. Give me a break. The tone of your posts indicates you don't like your job. But this is not unique to the aviation world. So go cry yourself to sleep, then get up tomorrow and do something to make a change instead of putting others down who have chosen a different path in life.

All of this.

As far as the career thing goes, people dreaming about being a pilot need to realize that is is a job. Your employer is not providing the airplane for your entertainment. There's a reason you get paid. It's all a compromise, just like any other job. What's different is that you're doing something that other people pay good money to do. However, for the most part, you are not doing it on your own terms. It seems to me that people looking in from the outside have a skewed view of what it's like to work as a pilot. They either think it would be the best thing since paper clips, or they think it would be awful.

Slipping the surly bonds of earth loses some of the lustre when somebody else is telling you when, where and how to slip them.

All of this.

Slipping the surly bonds of earth loses some of the lustre when somebody else is telling you when, where and how to slip them.

Either that, or you enjoy it because you get to fly nicer equipment than you could afford, and you get paid to do it.

I like being part of getting a job done, so I enjoy flying for someone else.

I also like flying for myself, but do very little of that, because I don't personally have the need to travel that much. Then again, I've got that German work ethic about me.

As far as the career thing goes, people dreaming about being a pilot need to realize that is is a job. Your employer is not providing the airplane for your entertainment. There's a reason you get paid. It's all a compromise, just like any other job. What's different is that you're doing something that other people pay good money to do. However, for the most part, you are not doing it on your own terms. It seems to me that people looking in from the outside have a skewed view of what it's like to work as a pilot.

Well said.

Again, proof positive that you don't know much about making it in the civilian world of aviation.

Maslow wasn't an aviator, either.

Many civilians, who don't have the benefit of having all their expensive flight training given to them on anothers' dime, usually manage by working several jobs and doing without for a number of years, in order to establish a career.

Your own viewpoint isn't uncommon, and it's really comical sometimes to see the shock on the face of a tactical pilot who thinks his handful of hours ought to merit something more than a poverty commuter job when he gets out.

I've done a lot of different flying, from well appointed corporate jets to very austere aircraft and operating conditions in combat zones. I don't know that I'd characterize any of it as "mundane," although certainly differences exist from one kind of flying to another.

The switch that takes place when the military stops paying your salary. That switch.

I meet a lot of guys who think they're well educated on the civilian world, until they actually start working in it. It's generally a shock. Few can resist the urge to keep saying "in the USAF/USMC/USN/USAR, etc, we did it this way..."

Lots of angst against mil folks in here I see, POA. That's a real shame.:nonod:

I was gonna let go the personal jabs but I smell "pay your dues" contempt in your words. We need to debunk that generalization you made about military pilots. As I stated, I'm not an AF academy kid, I'm the son of public employees; I went to public college like the rest of the riff raff. I was a civilian worker before I was a Servicemember. I paid for all my ratings up to CFII on my own dime and time before I ever set foot in the military. I worked retail through graduate school for $6.95/hr in order to save up for said ratings while going to college full time. I've worked in academia, first as a TA and then as guest lecturer for the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics at Purdue University, after which I attained a MSAE from said Department. I later turned down an offer from Louisiana Tech University to work as an assistant professor for, you guessed it, military flying. I won't even give credence to the flying bit accusation. I was staring at a CFI gig at KPDK for chump change, where I masked both my Masters degree and my affiliation with the AF Reserves in order to ensure I wouldn't be shown the door, against federal law mind you. They like "pay your dues" drones you see, they don't like people with options. Civilian employers wipe their rear with USERRA to be sure, so let's get that pseudo support argument from civilian employers out in the open; it's not all handouts and red carpets for us Citizen Airmen. BLUF: NONE of those efforts were to the end of attaining some pie in the sky widebody right seat job. Pilots are just not that special, and neither is the job. Which is why people can do it just because is neato, and why people get paid chump change to do it, in aggregate. I'm statistically helping you, by staying away from the pool of hungry "pay your dues" ten-to-a-crashpad dreamers competing for that job. But don't ping on me because I call it how I see it. Plenty of military pilots who do think the industry is worth it, and get on that treadmill. Your beef is with them (my squadron bros, many furloughed, others at above average positions in the 121 world). I'm just some guy who saw the industry and thought "I can do better for my family" and you got your butt hurt.

The real arrogance is you asserting I have no concept what it is to work in the civilian sector, as if to suggest I'm some sort of sheltered welfare queen basking on my Tricare government cheese, who hasn't taken from his own hide in order to feed his family. The thing about being a Reservist is that we're both, civilians and military. We understand better than anybody the trial and tribulations of juggling the idiosyncrasies of both as well as their incompatibilities. Your whole tone sounds like sour grapes against mil flyers who enter the civilian flying world and bypass or otherwise minimize, by their direct placement, your precious "pay your dues" system that is all the measure of [false] equity you've gotten out of the civilian flying industry..that or some mil pilot bumped you out of Xmas holiday by pulling some MLOA and you're on a vendetta against any 'arrogant strutting' mil pilot who says anything about anything.

Either way, you're barking up the wrong tree chief, I made a personal assessment of the value of a civilian flying career and you don't like people you perceive as "line cutters" commenting on the relative merits of the profession that hussles you like a bit-h. Tough. Do not equate my lack of interest for a civilian flying job as the equivalent of me being ill-prepared or ignorant about the wide world of civilian occupations out there, to include those I've participated in and those in which I'm formally trained for and educated in, prior to my entrance into the military. Again, all that shows is your contempt for military pilots, because they minimize the precious value of that tired old civilian pilot mantra of "paying your dues".

As to my perspective on your precious industry, it's not arrogance, it's knowing when it's time to quit while you're ahead and stop putting your family and loved ones through the ringer because you're too stubborn to see a bad hand when it's pointed to you with a big effing neon sign, and divorce papers perhaps. Shiny Jet Syndrome, Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome, call it what you will. A guy who gets stuck at a regional for decades due to the industry and no longer can hold on to restart at the right seat of mainline and/or risks getting furloughed as soon as he hits mainline is simply a guy who didn't have the proper luck in the industry. That the mil guy was largely able to spare the lock-in at the regional is nothing personal against the civi guy. But people need to recognize that such avenue [regional/cancelled check flying/135 et al] was good when the model was a quick sit and jump; it was never intended to be a "how loyal are you" rat race to the bottom.

I guess I shouldn't even mention those mil pilots who do "recall to active duty", or take extended MLOA from their carriers in order to accrue seniority above the 5 year point in order to attain the kind of pay and schedules they desire for their families. Considering the civi guys don't have that option available to them probably makes your blood boil. Again, go lash out at them, I'm just some guy who said working at the post office is a better use of my time and federal creditable years for retirement purposes than flying for a civilian outfit.

Lastly, if civilian pilots were so seasoned in the ins and out of making it in the real world, why oh why are so many of them locked into that j-o-b while my government-cheese-eating butt can pick amongst 3 different employment avenues (engineering, academia, flying) and a 4th one (GI bill for a third degree) in order to transition into the civilian job market and still manage to attain better pay and job continuity than all mainline first year FO? In essence, your argument civilian pilots are better prepared for the civilian job market is simply unsubstantiated. What it makes them is stubborn. But that's immaterial to my point to you. Just stop lumping military pilots under that bitter guise of entitled naked-emperors, ignorant of the reality of the civilian job market we serve to preserve.

I do wish you success in it if that's what you truly want. I just know it's not for me and I don't buy into the pay your dues mantra. I can see how someone taking pot shots at what you're vested in upsets you. We agree to disagree. Like I said earlier, my lack of presence in those application pools is good for people like you, if it is of any solace.

Because it has its good days as well. Im 27 years old, make a good salary and probably work like an actual 10 days a month...if that. The rest of the time is spent doing anything I want for fun which includes flying my own citabria.

Hows that?

2ilo75h.jpg

Congrats. Your description of your day sounded like someone who hates their job. I wanted to inquire as to what made it worth your while. I think you profered solid reasons for your choice. Again, congrats and tailwinds.

And hindsight2020, I'm going to call BS on your story. Thing about the internet is anyone can claim anything with no proof. You're not upside at 250 knots, 6 Gs "for a living", etc. Give me a break. The tone of your posts indicates you don't like your job. But this is not unique to the aviation world. So go cry yourself to sleep, then get up tomorrow and do something to make a change instead of putting others down who have chosen a different path in life.

I don't know what to tell ya brother. Believe what you want to believe. KDLF, look it up on skyvector. T6 Texan II. It's a pony. Hate the location, love the job. Pays me enough to get out of here on the weekends and have a life. I get to serve my Country so there's that added non-economic value. The job will come to an end, they all do. That said, Im still not flying an airplane for no retirement and bankruptcy wages, for the responsibility of flying people around the skies safely. An faa cubicle has better retirement. I don't need to pull Gs until 60 to feel satisfied with my career. I do need to make enough money to enjoy my life. To each their own.

come on down to Mejico, PM me if you're ever in the area (and can stomach the drive to hell). Tailwinds.

Lots of angst against mil folks in here I see, POA. That's a real shame.:nonod:

As there should be. More than a fair share of military aviators/pilots come off as holier than thou, have no concept of how to operate within the NAS and generally act like they are some how superior simply because I/we paid for them to learn how to fly.

Congrats. Your description of your day sounded like someone who hates their job.

You are correct, when i posted that reply i had just gotten done with a long-ish day and my post reflected that. There are a lot of great days in 135 as well, the job that might have long days sometimes is the same one that can put you on a beach in the caribbean for a week. I certainly dont hate my job. But all professional pilots are complainers and thats a fact. ;)

The real arrogance is you asserting I have no concept what it is to work in the civilian sector, as if to suggest I'm some sort of sheltered welfare queen basking on my Tricare government cheese, who hasn't taken from his own hide in order to feed his family.

You've got a lot of issues, it's clear. Among them appears to be a chip on your shoulder. You're adamant that you know all about working in civil aviation even though you've never worked a day as a professional pilot outside the military.

While sitting on a ramp in Afghanistan a few days ago, I had a very disturbing conversation with a pilot who's never flown anything but civil aviation, who was asserting that he knew all about killing people because he played x-box. He clearly had no clue what he was talking about, and he surely picked the wrong venue and the wrong audience to spout his naive crap.

Likewise, your attempting to assert your mastery of the world of civil aviation because you took civil flight instruction and went to college is equally naive and foolish.

You can certainly talk about your duties inside the military as an IP in the Texan, but you really don't have a leg to stand on when discussing the civil world. A masters degree doesn't grant you that ability, nor does having taken a year of flight instruction.

Civilian employers wipe their rear with USERRA to be sure, so let's get that pseudo support argument from civilian employers out in the open; it's not all handouts and red carpets for us Citizen Airmen.

Every location I've worked, which is a LOT more than you, has taken USERRA very seriously, as does my current employer. Then again, we have a lot of military aviators employed, from the Chief Pilot on down. We have USAF, USAR, USCG, USN, and USMC pilots, as well as pilots who have flown government, contract and numerous other duties. I'm among them, incidentally. We have pilots who still take leave regularly to military service, and we don't shun them any more than we shun any other background. Employers who don't take USERRA seriously run afoul of the law, and I've never worked for, nor been acquainted with any employer in aviation that did so. More proof that you really have no understanding of the industry. Your "understanding" appears to be what you took away from a job you didn't ever work, and for which you were never hired. You falsified your background, hid details from the employer, and this is your vast experience.

NONE of those efforts were to the end of attaining some pie in the sky widebody right seat job. Pilots are just not that special, and neither is the job. Which is why people can do it just because is neato, and why people get paid chump change to do it, in aggregate.

I don't get paid chump change. Perhaps you do, or perhaps that's all you're qualified to earn were you to make the transition to civil life. Don't condemn the industry for that. It's not the industry's fault that you lack the qualifications and experience to make a better living. You might have to put in the effort to get that qualification if you want more, but that's entirely up to you, and you've already stated that you're unwilling. Again, don't condemn the industry for your unwillingness.

I'm statistically helping you, by staying away from the pool of hungry "pay your dues" ten-to-a-crashpad dreamers competing for that job.

You're not helping me, statistically or otherwise. I live in a house with wife and kids, and am neither hungry, nor paying dues. I've never lived in a "ten-to-a-crashpad" place full of dreamers, either. Where ever they are, I'm sure they're gushing with thanks for your decision not to compete, however. Congratulations.

I'm just some guy who saw the industry and thought "I can do better for my family" and you got your butt hurt.

My butt isn't hurt. I'm making a living in the industry that you think you know, but really don't. Doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Your whole tone sounds like sour grapes against mil flyers who enter the civilian flying world and bypass or otherwise minimize, by their direct placement, your precious "pay your dues" system that is all the measure of [false] equity you've gotten out of the civilian flying industry..that or some mil pilot bumped you out of Xmas holiday by pulling some MLOA and you're on a vendetta against any 'arrogant strutting' mil pilot who says anything about anything.

Wow, you're really bitter, aren't you?

I never said anything about paying your dues. You came up with that all by yourself.

As to my perspective on your precious industry, it's not arrogance, it's knowing when it's time to quit while you're ahead and stop putting your family and loved ones through the ringer because you're too stubborn to see a bad hand when it's pointed to you with a big effing neon sign, and divorce papers perhaps.

The difference for you is that you didn't quit while you were ahead. You just quit. You were never there.
In essence, your argument civilian pilots are better prepared for the civilian job market is simply unsubstantiated.

I didn't make that argument. You did. You asserted that you know all about working in the world of civil aviation, although you've never done it. You attacked and condemned it as though from a position of authority, despite your zero experience.

Your vitriol and anger speaks volumes about your position in all this. Most of your venom regards arguments that were never made. You're really sensitive on this subject, clearly, and it's obvious that although it hasn't come up (except for what you've introduced), you've heard the discussions before. You jumped the gun a bit, didn't you? You didn't even wait for someone to bring these things up: you've introduced them and begun arguing them, but you're the only one in the room doing so.

Is anyone here condemning the military pipeline? No. There's no need. There's no need to condemn civil aviation either, but you're hellbent on doing so. Why is that?

Just stop lumping military pilots under that bitter guise of entitled naked-emperors, ignorant of the reality of the civilian job market we serve to preserve.

The only one fitting that classification is you, but then those are your words too, not mine.

Like I said earlier, my lack of presence in those application pools is good for people like you, if it is of any solace.

Your "lack of presence" doesn't help or hurt me a bit, mate, because you're not remotely qualified to compete, but in my career I don't compete. I apply, and I'm doing quite well presently, thanks. Your solace isn't needed, but thanks for donating it anyway. You've strayed far from the thread, in which a civil student wanted to know about career tracks. Your venom and sour view has granted some insight into those military aviators who carry a chip on their shoulder, but really paints most military aviators in a bad light, because most shouldn't be compared to your attitude.

For the original poster: the military is a viable avenue to a career, or can be a career all by itself. Don't let the attitude of some turn you off to that possibility. You can make a good living and have a good life as a military aviator, and you can make a transition to numerous points in the civil world if you wish. You should be aware that there are altruistic reasons for doing military service that are higher than getting flying hours: you generally don't finish a military commitment with a great deal of hours (even those with a full career). It's a line of work that has more going for it than just dollars, and more going for it than hours, type ratings, or other qualifications. It's a career all by itself, and some sample it for a short time while others put in a big chunk of their lives.

For those who do put in a full hitch, the retirement is a big plus if and when you decide to transition to civil flying. I know a lot of pilots who could leave their job any time because they're already drawing a full military retirement: they're largely unaffected by furloughs, downsizing, and other hazards of working the civil side of the house. Military service is honorable, the training is good and it's a recognized and known standard. Don't let people like hindsight2020 convince you otherwise. His attitude is common among those who don't know much or anything about civil aviation, but not common among those who successfuly make the switch. It's definitely not common among those who do both, and there are quite a few of those.

I recently met a Marine in a location in Afghanistan who's doing reserve work but who flies for a major international freight carrier as his regular job. His attitude didn't reflect that of hindsight2020 at all. His attitude was excellent, had no venom, and he carried no chip. Then again, he was experienced, and knew both worlds quite well. Take what you hear with a grain of salt, talk to as many people as you can, and when you're ready, begin your training with dedication. It all pans out in the end.

Back