Young students

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by RalphInCA, Dec 4, 2018 at 4:10 PM.

1. RalphInCA

RalphInCA Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    RalphInCA
    I am a new CFI, about four months. Not a new person about 58.

Just took on a new student who is 16. A young man. Smart, energetic, enthusiastic, wants to be a professional pilot.

Any “special handling” suggestions as I lead him through to his certificates?

I want to keep him motivated, and instill in him and attitude of safety, without scaring him off or burning him out, or having him think aviation is not worth it.

2. Dana

Dana Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    16 year olds usually thing they know it all. At some point when he gets too cocky, giving him just enough rope to scare himself is a good thing. A CFI did that to me when I was 17, scared the crap out of me, and taught me a lesson I'll never forget.

3. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Depending on how he was raised and the stock he came from, you should be able to treat him like anyone else, if you can’t, he shouldn’t be in the cockpit.

GRG55, dmspilot, Ryanb and 1 other person like this.
  4. kath

kath Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Katherine
    Young people are just like older people: all different.

I'm in a very similar boat as you: I got my CFI in August, I am 44, and I currently have two students. One is 18, the other is 21. Both want to be professional pilots. They are as different as night and day! One is a "listener", the other is a "talker".
    You can "size up their personality" just like you would with learners of any age.

GRG55 likes this.
  5. Ryanb

Ryanb Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    This.

Not all teenagers need to be on a leash, so I’d just tailor the lessons based upon their mentality.

FWIW:
    I started at 16.

6. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Talk to him,find out what he expects from the training. Also ask him what teaching style works best for him.

7. BillTIZ

BillTIZ Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    BTIZ
    I instruct a lot of teenagers, 14-15-16 yr olds. Every once and a while you need that one on one discussion, how can I trust you with an airplane when you are doing x or y. That usually wakes them up.

It can be fun watching a timid 14 yr old turn into a confident 16 yr old rated pilot.

8. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Heck, most adults can’t tell me their teaching style

Aside from that aviation does not care, physics don’t care, and 80 or 16 you’ll turn into a gut pile just the same, age is not a factor, I treat them all the same, just as gravity will treat them all the same.

9. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Biggest distraction is their cell phones, texting friends and such. If you can momentarily disconnect them from that, so they focus on learning, it's helpful.

10. skier

skier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skier
    Make sure he keeps having fun and enjoying flying. I’ve said it other places here as well, but the one of the most helpful things to me in getting my license at 17 was that my instructor kept it fun. When I got stressed, he would back off a bit and take me to a grass field for a few landings. Or he’d ask what I wanted to do. Or he’d take me up in actual IMC (before I finished my private). Or he’d take me up in a different plane. The list goes on.

11. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Y’all baby sitters or CFIs, if a student is zoned out in their phone, I charge for full time and tell them to **** off.

This ain’t boutique tennis lessons, if you suck here you die, and my numbers and ink won’t be tied to that.

12. Zeldman

Zeldman Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Yes it is.

13. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Today's kids ain't like you were when you were a kid. Get used to it, it aIn't changin'. Maybe one of these days you'll be forced to fly with one professionally, while they sit the right seat. Good luck with charging full rate and telling them to...;)

14. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Let me rephrase, I do not care.

You’re up to it and are good to go, or you suck the big one, it’s that simple.