My son is awaiting his instrument check ride at a part 141 flight school (a 4 year college) and we have learned they may be losing their 141 accreditation. They have not yet officially told the students but word on the street is that deadline is approaching.
My son has liked the program thus far but it’s obvious in the last 3-4 months there’s been a ton of changes and he is beyond frustrated as the line for check rides is out of control. He stayed for most of the summer and finally ended up leaving because he was told they were still about 20 kids in front of him for instrument check ride. That was in June… We are now in September and he’s still waiting.
I know this is not too outside the norm. As I mentioned, he loves the flight program, but he absolutely hates the city it’s in and has really struggled with living there. He stayed for two years because of the program, but he’s getting very close to wanting to leave it.
He has been researching leaving the school and going the part 61 route and finishing his degree online. I know from a lot of pilots in another group that everyone says it doesn’t matter where you go to school as long as you get your hours and your ratings and this makes sense.
Leaving a 141 and going to a 61 school… We just have no idea what this involves and entails. I do think he would be happiest finishing degree online and just being in the air as much as he can.
Anyone out there go this route? Meaning started out a part 141 and left it to go to 61. And if so… Would you be willing to talk to my son so he can pick your brain?
My son has liked the program thus far but it’s obvious in the last 3-4 months there’s been a ton of changes and he is beyond frustrated as the line for check rides is out of control. He stayed for most of the summer and finally ended up leaving because he was told they were still about 20 kids in front of him for instrument check ride. That was in June… We are now in September and he’s still waiting.
I know this is not too outside the norm. As I mentioned, he loves the flight program, but he absolutely hates the city it’s in and has really struggled with living there. He stayed for two years because of the program, but he’s getting very close to wanting to leave it.
He has been researching leaving the school and going the part 61 route and finishing his degree online. I know from a lot of pilots in another group that everyone says it doesn’t matter where you go to school as long as you get your hours and your ratings and this makes sense.
Leaving a 141 and going to a 61 school… We just have no idea what this involves and entails. I do think he would be happiest finishing degree online and just being in the air as much as he can.
Anyone out there go this route? Meaning started out a part 141 and left it to go to 61. And if so… Would you be willing to talk to my son so he can pick your brain?