Young Eagles . . .

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
my step-son's boys checking out my bird.

HR

Attachments

• Young Eagles #1.jpg
    Young Eagles #1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Young Eagles #2.jpg
    Young Eagles #2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 22
  • Young Eagles #3.jpg
    Young Eagles #3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Young Eagles #4.jpg
    Young Eagles #4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23
Cute Kids Harley..................... Did you take them for a Ride.they look to young to qualify for YE but if you want i'll send them Certs. with there names on them. Email me thier names. gaiski@comcast.net
Dave G
P.S. unless you already have Certs.

I'll have to admit I used the term Young Eagles out of context. The boys were only hangar-flying, although the 4 year-old was quick to say, "Let's go somewhere". He's sharp as a tack.

During several summers my former wife and her brother split the cost of a cabin for a month on Peaks Island, off the coast of Portland, ME. Renaud, Rouen, and their Mom and Dad would be there on weekends. The house I recently bought is on a hill, amongst the trees, not far from the ocean but not in sight of water. The boys made their first visit while their grandmother was here from Florida. While out on the elevated deck the young one pronounced, "Hey, this is just like Peaks Island but without the water".
Out of the mouths of..........

We hope to get the boys in the air when they have more time to visit from New Hampshire.

HR

If I recall, there's a provision in the YE rules that allow for younger than 7 to fly. If you would like, I'll followup. Not sure of the specifics.

Thanks to you and Shipoke for your insights; however, I'd need to first "get it past" the boys' mother, and that might not be easy. But, in time .............
and I'll be needing a reason to fly to Manchester(NH) when the time is appropriate.
Their mother's first home was at the end of Manchester Airport. She was single at the time. When married, and needing a bigger home, she was one of the last holdouts against the city which needed to buy her house to accomplish the extended runway several years ago.

HR

HR

Last edited:
If I recall, there's a provision in the YE rules that allow for younger than 7 to fly. If you would like, I'll followup. Not sure of the specifics.
Yes, there is. I've taken advantage of it before. The child must be old enough to appreciate the flight. But, since it a) involves a flight in an airplane (which apparently hasn't happened yet), and b) requires the pilot to be an EAA member, I don't think it matters much here. Harley, are you an EAA member? If so, then make the first flight for the kids a bona fide Young Eagles flight! Check out www.youngeagles.org!

BTW, here are the rules about age from that site:
What if the child does not meet the age criteria? The program guidelines state that
children should be between the ages of eight and 17 (up to the child’s 18th birthday). We
encourage you to keep to the guidelines. The minimum age was set at eight for several
reasons. First, the child is mature enough to be able to function alone – without mom or
dad. Second, they are most likely physically large enough to see out of the windows on
an airplane and, lastly, they should be able to grasp the basic concepts of flying.

Those over the age of 18 are adults and as adults are not eligible for the Young Eagles
program. Registrations from children who are outside the age guidelines will be returned
to the pilot for clarification.

Last edited:
Chapter 87, Maine's very first EAA Chapter. Did you read the Dan Namowits article --AOPA - Pilot(August) about the Hampton(NH) Airport flea market of recent? There were three Chapter 87 members in that double page photo. One of them has been the President for many years. I'll get the boys up......... sometime.

HR

Actually, I'm not opposed to flying NORTH to provide the Young Eagles flight myself. As to the kids functioning without Mom and Dad, I've yet to fly without one of them in the plane. The good news is all I have to do is bring enough headsets for the kids to keep PorM out of the loop.
It's your call. I really don't need an incentive to fly to Maine. It's one of the nicest places to visit.

Back