Young Eagles........

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
Sometimes you just never know what you might start in motion by flying a Young Eagle. One of our members flew Joshua in 2008.

Instead of brushing up on his Xs and Os in the days before the National Football League’s April 27 to 29 draft, former University of Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs was assisting college aeronautics teammates during the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) competition in Tucson, Arizona. During draft week the aerospace engineering major who was selected in the fourth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers was instead focused on his senior engineering project to design, build, and fly a miniature folding-wing aircraft in the AIAA competition sponsored by aviation powerhouses Cessna and Raytheon.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/may/10/steelers-new-qb-dobbs-is-aerospace-engineer

Good story . . . I've been thinking about Young Eagles since I gave up on CAP a couple years ago. I flew CAP cadet orientation rides a bit, but the environment was stifling, so I tended to focus on mission flying, until that, too, became a goat rope.

I have a buddy (also former CAP) who got deep into Angel Flights, and another in Pilots for Paws (I think that's what it's called) - but giving someone a chance to try out flying, and maybe have it open a door for them, is cool to consider.

Man I'd like to do YE stuff but nothing around my area. Maybe I'll stop down to LZU sometime and get in on that action.

Do young eagle flights every month,find it very rewarding.

You can do what several of us have done, there are no EAA chapters where I live so we contacted a chapter 100 miles away and asked to help us get started. We joined their chapter which allows us to be covered by the EAA INSURANCE and have access to people who set up these events all the time to help guide us. It has worked well and we have flown around 150 young eagles since we started. They sometimes fly in to help us with larger events and we fly out to help them. It has been a lot of fun and we have made new friends. You do not have to be a chapter member , simply an Eaa member to fly Young Eagles. It does however make it easier for larger events. Call th Young Eagles coordinator at EAA headquarters for forms and guidance.

Back