Young Eagle thank-you notes

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
We took 80 more kids flying this year as a reward for completing the Mark Twain reading program, and I just got through reading 80 thank-you notes. These were great kids, and they were all very appreciative; they all acknowledged that flying was expensive and they appreciated our taking the time and expense to take them flying. Their teacher did a good job with these kids. They were also a hoot to fly with.

Here are portions of a few thank-you notes:

“Thank you very much for taking us flying I had so much fun when we were up in the air. The loop ti loop was so much fun and I wish I could have that much fun every day.”

“Thank you so much for taking us all flying. It was my first time flying and I loved it so much. Just knowing, if I finished my books I could fly has made me want to read. Since I finished my books I haven’t wanted to stop reading. I am so glad I finished. Thank you so much.”

“I just want to thank you for taking us flying. I really liked when I got to fly and when we did the woopdy doo. I had a wonderful time and will remember this for a very long time. This makes so many kids want to read and get better at reading. It is a great reward to go flying, especially to get out of school.”

“Thank you so much for taking me flying. God bless you and the others for all the gas and the time. I hope you feel good for what you do because words do not express it enough. I personally have learned a lot from those 80 books I have read from five-eight grades. I have become a better reader and I now enjoy reading and very fast at it too. So thank you dearly for taking not just me but lots others, soaring through the air to learn more and to have a goal to finish the books and a reward for finishing the 20 books each year. Thanks again and God bless.”

“Thank you for taking us all flying. I thought it was very nice considering the cost of fuel. I had a great time in the air. Also, thank you for letting me fly the plane. I thought the inside of the plane looked cool. There are a lot of buttons! It was also cool flying over my house and the school. Too bad my dad wasn’t home. I wanted to see what he was doing. Overall I had an awsome time. And again, thank you so much!”

“Thank you for taking time out of your day to take us flying. I enjoyed flying with you. My favorite part was when we got to see my house and the school. I also liked it when you showed us when the baby squealed. THANK YOU!!!!”

“I would just like to thank you for taking us all flying. This was my first time flying with the Mark Twain Readers. I had such a good time flying. I know that gas costs an arm and a leg, and I appreciated that you do this for all the Mark Twain Readers. I wish to become a pilot someday, and do the same great things that you do for the community. I know that flying can be very risky especially when you have three teenagers flying with you. So, I thank you for making this event possible.”

“Thank you very much for taking me flying and flying all the way out to my house. It is a wonderful think that you guys do for the kids here; you really do a good job at encouraging us to read which will help us in our future. I will remember this experience for a very long time and it will definitely be one of my better memories. Thank you once again!”

“Thank you so much for the experience of a lifetime.”

“Dear Flying people,
I had a great time flying and thought it was fun. I went home and bragged to my brothers that they should have read the Mark Twain books. Going up was really fun; I feel really sorry for you because you have to fly a lot of kids. Up in the air you are really good by keeping the plane on track and not being distracted by people. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for a real enjoyable time.”

“Thank you for taking me flying. I had a blast. Thank you again for taking time out of your day to make mine better.”

“Thank you very much for spending your time and money to take me and others out to fly. It was a great experience getting to fly. It is a time that I will remember for a long time. This experience encourages me to read not just because I got to fly, but because I’ve seen what good comes out of reading a book.”

“It was very nice of you to take us flying. I had never been in an airplane before. I really truly liked every part of it. My favorite part was the landing because it was very bouncy.”

“Thanks a lot for taking all of us kids. You are extremely genorous. Flying was the only thing I could think of for 3 days after ward. No kidding! Thanks again.”

“Thank you!!! I had a lot of fun flying. Thank you for the bracelet. The scariest part of the ride was landing. The coolest part of the ride was when we turned sideways and saw the shadow of the plane. I had a great time.”

One of the kids signed his letter: "Future Flyer" :)

Attachments

• YE 15.JPG
    YE 15.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 27
  • YE 13.JPG
    YE 13.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 28
  • YE 16.JPG
    YE 16.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 21
  • YE 17.JPG
    YE 17.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 22
  • YE 7.JPG
    YE 7.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 24
  • YE 19.JPG
    YE 19.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 24
  • YE 3.JPG
    YE 3.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 22
  • YE Group 2.JPG
    YE Group 2.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 26
  • YE Group 3.JPG
    YE Group 3.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 38
Thats awesome Diana! I like the Loop ti loops too!

I've hosted a few young eagles events, its very rewarding!! The smiles on the kids faces makes the whole event worthwhile.

Great Job Diana

My favorite part was the landing because it was very bouncy:goofy:

diana -
you rock!
Tony, you are too sweet. Actually, these kids rock. They were a great bunch and we all had a good time.

Thats awesome Diana! I like the Loop ti loops too!

I've hosted a few young eagles events, its very rewarding!! The smiles on the kids faces makes the whole event worthwhile.
Yep, those smiles say it all. :yes:

Great Job Diana

My favorite part was the landing because it was very bouncy:goofy:
:D I had to check that one to see if it was one of mine!

Awesome, Diana! :yes:

“It was also cool flying over my house and the school. Too bad my dad wasn’t home. I wanted to see what he was doing.”

"*gulp* You did WHAT at school today???" :eek: :D

“I also liked it when you showed us when the baby squealed.”

Huh? What are they talking about? I can tell you have a language of your own for these rides... Whoopty do's and all. :)

“It was very nice of you to take us flying. I had never been in an airplane before. I really truly liked every part of it. My favorite part was the landing because it was very bouncy.”

:rofl: It's always interesting to hear how others perceive the experience, isn't it? :)

Huh? What are they talking about? I can tell you have a language of your own for these rides... Whoopty do's and all. :)
That's one of Tom's things. :D It's the stall warning, and he tells them about it ahead of time and also mentions it on the pre-flight walk-around. I think he calls it something else, but I can't remember what it is now. I think maybe it's the baby crying? The whoopty do is just nosing over a bit, pulling up a bit and then pushing over. We don't do zero G :no: and I always explain it first and ask them if they want to do it first. They always love it. :)

:rofl: It's always interesting to hear how others perceive the experience, isn't it? :)
Absolutely! I'm amazed at the things that they remember the most, or the things that impressed them the most. That's one of the things that I love about reading their notes...discovering what they were really thinking.

To the Honorable Diana Richards, Ambassadress of Aviation:

Way to go, Grrrl!!!:goofy::princess::wonderwoman::cheers:

Seriously, what you and Tom do...Priceless.

Thanks for being such great ambassadors.

Seriously, what you and Tom do...Priceless.

Thanks for being such great ambassadors.
Awww, thanks Jim! It's fun to do this as a team with Tom, and with a few other pilots. It's hard to find pilots who can get away to go flying during the weekday to take these kids. Sometimes the farmers who usually help us are busy this time of year. Hey! Maybe next year you could fly over here and help us out! :)

That's one of Tom's things. :D It's the stall warning, and he tells them about it ahead of time and also mentions it on the pre-flight walk-around. I think he calls it something else, but I can't remember what it is now. I think maybe it's the baby crying?

Aha, that makes sense - That's what I figured it was. :)

The whoopty do is just nosing over a bit, pulling up a bit and then pushing over. We don't do zero G :no: and I always explain it first and ask them if they want to do it first. They always love it. :)

I gave a ride to an eight-year-old girl once, and we hit a pocket of turbulence. She giggled and asked if I could do that again. I did some "whoopty do's" too, and you're right - They always love it. :)

You are sooooo cooool, Diana!!
Thanks!

Kent said:
Diana said:
“I also liked it when you showed us when the baby squealed.”

Huh? What are they talking about? I can tell you have a language of your own for these rides...

Stall horn maybe?

Diana, that's awesome!! Thanks for sharing your story, pictures, and their notes. Precious!

On my recent Young Eagles Flight with Haley, I just got an email from EAA headquarters bending my arm, telling me they can't record her name in the logbook until I renew my membership. :) You know, RULES RULES RULES!

That's okay--I need to renew before Airventure anyway.

You are sooooo cooool, Diana!!
Thanks!
:redface: What a sweet thing to say Kaye. :)

Their teacher is really cool. :) She makes sure they are all happy and snuggled into the airplanes and then comes over as they are getting out and reminds them to say "Thank you" and then she makes sure they all write thank-you notes. She loves the kids and they love her. It's a pleasure working with her on this project. Everybody wins. :)

I don't get involved with young Eagle flights, as I am not in an EAA Chapter. However I do give a lot of first flights in my Fly-ins. When I do I always give them a Certificate. Here is what it looks like. Bob

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    879.7 KB · Views: 11
  • First Flight Cert. (C).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Great job, Diana! You really do rock!

I'm going to be working ground crew at my first Young Eagles event on Sunday - reading things like this make it so I can't wait!

I don't get involved with young Eagle flights, as I am not in an EAA Chapter. However I do give a lot of first flights in my Fly-ins. When I do I always give them a Certificate. Here is what it looks like. Bob
Bob,
You don't have to be in a local chapter; you can give Young Eagle flights on your own as you're doing now. The advantage of doing it as a "Young Eagle" flight is that they'll get some stuff, there's a "cool" factor to having their names in the big logbook, and EAA is working on a program to give them a second free flight after they've done something to "earn" it, such as doing some continuing aviation education or something. Hey, as a kid, having a letter from Harrison Ford has got to be pretty neat, too! That said, what you're doing is GREAT, and don't stop!

Diana, as a kid I think you'd have been my "favoritest grownup"! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

(Bob, as an adult, if you give me a ride in the R44 you may be in competition for that title!:goofy::rofl:)

Now there's something that will put a real smile on your face! Flying those kids is a gift that gives even more back to you, isn't it?

Reminds me of my favorite quote:
While practicing generosity, we should always remember how very fortunate we are to have this opportunity. (by Gomo Tulku)

You're a good girl, Diana......:yes:

Welcome to the blue board Kim! :cheerswine: I hope you will be able to spend time with us here when you can. :yes: I know the purple board keeps you pretty busy.

Now there's something that will put a real smile on your face! Flying those kids is a gift that gives even more back to you, isn't it?
Absolutely. :yes:

Reminds me of my favorite quote:
While practicing generosity, we should always remember how very fortunate we are to have this opportunity. (by Gomo Tulku)
Wow, I love that...how true!

You're a good girl, Diana......:yes:
Thank you Kim, that is very sweet of you to say. :)

It's nice to have you here. :yes:

Back