Young Eagle/Special Needs Fly-in

Shipoke

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
shipoke
We had are Fly-in the first weekend in May and this is the letter i got from the coordinater, along with some pictures. This event was held at KCXY. Hope you enjoy reading this. Dave G.

Edit by Greebo: Pictures were converted to JPG format (< 200k) from BMP format (>1.5MB) for the sake of our lower bandwidth users.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it was a resounding success! Wow! I can't wait for our next Young Eagles event.
Bravo!

Terry

It Is a resounding event terry, and the Special Needs kids really enjoy it.The pilots do too,but i guess you know that. Dave

Shipoke said:
We had are Fly-in the first weekend in May and this is the letter i got from the coordinater, along with some pictures. This event was held at KCXY. Hope you enjoy reading this. Dave G.
Dave, this is wonderful! It's so fulfilling to be able to touch lives this way. Sounds like everyone had a great time, including the pilots. There were a lot of smiles in those pictures. :)

THIS is the event for which I joined the EAA last year. I will probably never build a plane, but I need to be a Young Eagles pilot for this event.

My wife and I missed your event this year, but we ground crewed for Neil Martin in 2004. We were sunburned and exhausted at the end of the day. But, this was the MOST rewarding thing I have ever done in my life to date.

How do we get advance notice of the date? Neil called us to crew this year, but he didn't think to ask until about 2 days before, and we already had something else scheduled. This is an even that we do not ever want to miss again if we can help it. The event is not particularly advertised, outside of the organizations that do it. Nonetheless, there were hundreds of kids, mostly special needs children, lined up all day that day for airplane rides. When not up in one of the planes, they got rides in really neat sports cars (many vettes, a Viper, several classic hot rods). There were also some carnival rides and other forms of entertainment to keep all those kids entertained in the long line for flights. The ground crew walked them out, helped sort out weight and balance, and took pictures. And smiled a lot. The pilots did more than a dozen flights apiece that day, and they smiled a lot too!

Several of the pilots are themselves special. Neil, who we crewed for, lost an arm in a motorcycle accident some years ago. I still get moist eyed when I think about our last flight of the day, with the little girl who had also lost an arm, absolutely enraptured at Neil, the pilot with the missing arm. If you don't believe in love at first sight, you didn't see that guy and the little girl look at each other. I think they adopted each other on the spot :D

EAA does some good things. This is the best of them. Shipoke, if there is a mailing list for this event, email me, please. I want to be on it. By next year, I will have the 300 hours one needs to fly. If I don't, I will gladly sunburn to be ground crew again.

Jim G

It's a great event and a great cause. And an opportunity to practice operating in a high density traffic environment. The high speed fixed wings flew counterclockwise routes to the South. The slower fixed wings flew clockwise routes to the North and the helicopters flew a smaller clockwise route to the North inside and below the fixed wing route. And of course the airport was open for normal traffic which included a couple business jet arrivals and a student solo.

I've given rides for the last two years in my Bell Jet Ranger. This year I think that I did 30 flights with an average of 3 pax (excluding me) per flight. Oh yeah, I also flew the bloodhound and several of the volunteers.

Here's a shot taken by the tower crew chief after the event.

Next year's event is May 6, 2006 at CXY. The contact is Wayne Laughner 717 579 8383.

Mike

mike21951 said:
It's a great event and a great cause. And an opportunity to practice operating in a high density traffic environment. The high speed fixed wings flew counterclockwise routes to the South. The slower fixed wings flew clockwise routes to the North and the helicopters flew a smaller clockwise route to the North inside and below the fixed wing route. And of course the airport was open for normal traffic which included a couple business jet arrivals and a student solo.

I've given rides for the last two years in my Bell Jet Ranger. This year I think that I did 30 flights with an average of 3 pax (excluding me) per flight. Oh yeah, I also flew the bloodhound and several of the volunteers.

Here's a shot taken by the tower crew chief after the event.

Next year's event is May 6, 2006 at CXY. The contact is Wayne Laughner 717 579 8383.

Mike

I remember your copter from last year's event. You were probably the hottest ride going, with a VERY long line of kids waiting to get on. I remember thinking that I should have brought my daughter so that I could get a ride in the beautiful chopper ;)

Jim G

Any one interested in Info give me a call at 717-554-8247, i'd be glad to help Dave G

I'm very glad the event was a success! :)

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of changing the file format of the attachments to something taking up about 1/15th of the space. :)

Back