You tube videos general question

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Hello,

I notice people can post you tube videos in the body of the post. I go into insert link and it will just post the link. I would like to post the video in the body of the post how do you do that?

Thanks in advance!

Surround the link in [yt ] and [/yt ] tags.

Or, ythd if you want the high Def version

And not the whole youtube link, just the ID at the end of the URL

so if the link is youtube.com.blahblahblah.id=YDSJ$2320K

just include: YDSJ$2320K in the YT tags

Any similar method for Vimeo?

-Rich

Yes there is. There is a (somewhat hard to find) link on PoA that explains all the valid tags:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

But I have noticed that the Apple Safari browser on my iPad doesn't seem to display any preview screenshot or even a link when using the Vimeo tags. With the "yt" tags Safari at least shows a clickable link, though not the screenshot. I have to remember to tack on a redundant link for Safari users.

It also looks like "ytold" should show the preview screen on Safari for Youtube videos.

Yes there is. There is a (somewhat hard to find) link on PoA that explains all the valid tags:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

But I have noticed that the Apple Safari browser on my iPad doesn't seem to display any preview screenshot or even a link when using the Vimeo tags. With the "yt" tags Safari at least shows a clickable link, though not the screenshot. I have to remember to tack on a redundant link for Safari users.

It also looks like "ytold" should show the preview screen on Safari for Youtube videos.

Thanks! Now I can embed my long, boring videos right into my long, boring posts.

-Rich

Thanks! Now I can embed my long, boring videos right into my long, boring posts.

-Rich

Saw a bunch of salamanders this weekend in the Adirondacks. No idea if it was chance or a booming population. Cute little orange buggers.

Speaking of YouTube, is it no longer possible to post a video without creating a Google Plus account with its open-to-the-world homepage featuring my name, picture and birthday? Which I will never visit because I'm not into the whole social media, post my entire life online thing?

Or do I need to visit somewhere else instead? If so, where?

This is even worse than when Microsoft insisted that I create [and apparently keep active] a Hotmail account in order to use Office on my home computer. Instead, they are refunding my purchase price and I'm using alternative software for word processing and spreadsheets.

Speaking of YouTube, is it no longer possible to post a video without creating a Google Plus account with its open-to-the-world homepage featuring my name, picture and birthday? Which I will never visit because I'm not into the whole social media, post my entire life online thing?

Or do I need to visit somewhere else instead? If so, where?

This is even worse than when Microsoft insisted that I create [and apparently keep active] a Hotmail account in order to use Office on my home computer. Instead, they are refunding my purchase price and I'm using alternative software for word processing and spreadsheets.

Last time I checked, all new YouTube accounts came with a Google+ account, and existing users' accounts were severely crippled (unable to even post comments, for example) until they "upgraded" to Google+. I've been told, however, that Google has backed off a bit on that because millions of users told them to stick the service where the sun doesn't shine and closed their accounts there was widespread dissatisfaction with the policy.

At present, here is what Google says about the relationship between Google+ and YouTube:

https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/3024173?hl=en&ref_topic=3024169

In classic Google style, most of the information uses as many words as possible to avoid answering the questions posed, so good luck making sense of it. But in theory, you should be able to find your answers there.

For my part, I couldn't be bothered reading all that crap just to upload some stupid videos, so I decided to just use Vimeo instead. The other option was hosting the videos on my own server, but I'm not big on reinventing the wheel.

-Rich

Thanks. I found that last night, all about the benefits of having my YouTube channel automatically connected to a Google Plus account. There's no mention of doing anything any more without creating a Plus account, so that everything about me will be right there on my google plus homepage, a "benefit" in which I am so uninterested as to be interested in NOT having it.

Why would you put your name, picture, and birthday on your google plus page if you don't want it there?

My + page is pretty darn thin and I pretty much just ignore the fact that it exists. https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/105188129745216103338/

Why have a homepage pre-populated with what google wants to tell the world about me?

Why have a page made for you that you want to never visit?

Why be forced to sign up for things you don't want to sign up for?

Back