You tube Stall spin seen from both inside and outside the plane

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Found this on the Red Board:

Potentially useful learning tool

That guys with dork bars can really screw the pooch hard just like the rest of us.

Sorry, the part where the guy's tapping the pilot on the shoulder to get him to stop spinning the airplane was pretty funny.

Did the pilots initiate a proper recovery? Was the spin diffiult to stop due to all of the weight in the back?

Would have though a high wing plane like that with a big ol rudder would come out of a spin a bit easier

It was an intentional spin and the pilots were having a bit of fun. They started and stopped the spin when they chose to.

It wasn't intentional from what I read of the last parts of the vid.
Looks like it wasn't recovering due to the aft CG till everyone got out.

Last edited:

Several folks did some analysis from the video to show how they were holding pro spin control inputs. Not exactly what on would do if they were trying to stop the spin.

Ha, that's just the video producer's BS to add drama and cover for the silliness of what the pilots did. Probably a publicity stunt. You can see the control inputs during the video. They were constant pro-spin inputs. No attempted recovery inputs made during the spin. Pilots not too concerned about what was going on. A plane that size won't be put out of the aft CG limit by a couple guys in the back. Last jumper out looked like they gave the pilot a pat to indicate they were the last ones out. They recover after that. No way I believe this was accidental.

As a skydiver I would be first out of the door during a spin, does not seem that there are too high g-forces to keep the jumpers in the aircraft. If this was intentional, that is very scary. In an uncontrolled spin a jumper could impact the tail of the aircraft.

This is a video of a stall which was not intentional:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egg8NIBV2HI

Just what is to be learned?
They described that a wing is to be stalled before a spin can happen, the phases of a spin. One can note the position of the rudder & elevator at parts of the video.

Useful to show to a primary student?

They described that a wing is to be stalled before a spin can happen, the phases of a spin. One can note the position of the rudder & elevator at parts of the video.

Useful to show to a primary student?

I couldn't make out the rudder but pretty sure he was hauling back on the yoke...

Looks like they are trying to dramatize an actual incident that took place in Homestead, FL (near Miami) in 1997.

http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentReports/gtmz0g55wwdthcqkjmwial451/H03142012120000.pdf

<quote>
On May 25, 1997, about 1351 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 205, N8214Z, registered to Uninsured 205 LSG Corporation and operated by Skydive, Inc., crashed near Homestead General Airport, Homestead, Florida, while on a Title 14 CFR Part 91 parachute jumping flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed. The aircraft was destroyed. The commercial-rated pilot and five parachutist were fatally injured. One parachutist jumped before ground impact, deployed her chute, and landed uninjured. The flight originated from Homestead General Airport, the same day, about 1345.​

The surviving parachutist stated that the flight was to climb to 3,500 feet and that she was to jump from that altitude. The flight was to then climb to 6,000 and 10,000 feet, and the remaining parachutists would jump. The flight reached 3,500 feet and the pilot slowed the aircraft. The normal jump speed was 80 mph. She took the jump position on the platform mounted on the right main landing gear. She stated the wind resistance at this time was not as great as it had been during past jumps. As she waited for the jump signal from the jump company owner, he moved from the back of the aircraft into the right front seat area which she had vacated. Shortly after this, the aircraft's left wing dropped down and the aircraft began turning to the left. The nose then dropped and the aircraft began to spin to the left. After an unknown number of turns she jumped from the aircraft. As she descended on her chute, she observed the aircraft continue to descend in a spin and crash. She stated the engine sounded normal all the time.​

Witnesses on the ground stated their attention was drawn to the aircraft by the sound of the engine increasing in power. They looked up and observed the aircraft at about 1,500 feet in a spin to the left. As the aircraft descended below 1,000 feet they observed one person jump from the aircraft and descend on a parachute. They lost sight of the aircraft behind trees, still spinning to the left, and about 2-3 seconds later they heard the sound of the aircraft impacting the ground.</quote>​

I took my first AFF jump at Homestead in November and mentioned it to my chiropractor. Turned out he knew the owner of the jump school that among those killed. Present owners have no connection.​

alfadog​

Back