You think the weather is bad there?

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
One of the most interesting weather-reporting locations is Mount Washington, New Hampshire. (MWN)
I looked at it the other day and the winds were 280 at 93 gusting to 116 with a peak wind of 125 at 28 minutes past the hour.
This weather station is built on top of a mountain. Often the ceiling reports are "///" which indicates a cloud deck below the station!:lightning:
ApacheBob

Drove to the top one year on my motorcycle with my wife sitting behind me. She said she had her eyes closed the last third of the trip. Fascinating views.

I've hiked in those mountains for years. Seen it snow in the summer there. Not sure what the geographic/atmospheric cause is, but that place definitely has the wildest weather.

Once saw one of the "Hutmeisters" carrying a cast iron stove up to the Lakes of the Clouds hut, on his back... It weighed 225 pounds. There was a pump organ in one of the huts - also carried by hand.

Highly recommend the auto road or cog railway in summer - a very fun trip for families.

Funny how you easterners try to make a mountain out of the mole hill

Attachments

• Bootsie pictures 004.jpg
    Bootsie pictures 004.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Bootsie pictures 005.jpg
    Bootsie pictures 005.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 14
NC19143 said:
Funny how you easterners try to make a mountain out of the mole hill
Yes, Tom. You have rocks and they are pretty. But do you have weather?:rolleyes:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/recordwind.php

I hiked up Mt. Washington as a kid many years ago. It was August, we were in 2" fresh snow on top. Great climb, great views, and the weather can turn on a dime (like many places, I guess...) I wish I had a photo of the anemometer that can take a clubbing to remove the ice!

Skip, do you remember the signs as you got above treeline? Something about "if the weather is bad you will DIE if you don't turn back".

This one?
warning_sign.jpg

edit: or this one?
attention.jpg

Skip Miller said:
Yes, Tom. You have rocks and they are pretty. But do you have weather?:rolleyes:

Well seeing we have had 12+ inches of rain in the low country these past 2 weeks, and Baker ski resort opened with 4.5 FEET of snow last Wed. I think they get some weather.

TMetzinger said:
Skip, do you remember the signs as you got above treeline? Something about "if the weather is bad you will DIE if you don't turn back".

Above the tree line????

we got passes that above the treeline..:)

Hwy #20 closed for the season east of Panther creek trailhead, and west of Lone pine Camp Ground. (5420')

Picture taken summer 2005

Attachments

• p1010003.JPG
    p1010003.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 10
And when your little mountain gets mad, does it reduce itself in mass and start over again like this one?

Attachments

• 34 Mt St Helens.JPG
    34 Mt St Helens.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 2
Back