You saw it here first - Romanians and French will invade us

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I've noticed this a few times looking at smaller airports on Google Maps but thought it was a fluke. I just found a Google support article explaining it.

For some small airports, the airport name shows up as "aerodrome de _______" whatever the airport name is. And if you click on the marker, the name changes to "Aeroportul _______". See below example of Courtland, Alabama:

upload_2020-6-2_14-25-45.png

upload_2020-6-2_14-26-0.png

I thought my Google account was all kinds of jacked up, but my language preferences still showed English. I finally stumbled onto this support article about what I'm seeing: https://support.google.com/maps/thread/32362895?hl=en

The airports are not being renamed. Someone is adding the name in another language. Since the name in English has not been added, the only name available - the added name in French in the above example is displaying.

So I don't know how or when it happened, but it looks like someone mass-updated US airports with names in a different language. I think it's a plot so their pilots don't get confused when they invade us. :)

Back