You ready for the engine to quit?

That would have been a lot more interesting if they hadn't edited out the "good" parts - IE, the moment the engine quit, the touchdown, any interaction between the pilot and the other people aboard, etc...

The "S" turns to shed altitude was good, I would have liked to see the landing, but seeing everyone walking around and the kids playing in the fire tells me everyone remained calm and the pilot did a good job............ flying the airplane.

Watch your airspeed. When the prop stops there is much drag from the prop. It is not the same as pulling it to idle. I practice engine off landings a couple times a year. Good fun.

Thanks for sharing that. I had a client on Saturday that was surprised when I made him take the plane all the way down to the runway. This will be excellent for him to watch.

Ryan

The "S" turns to shed altitude was good, I would have liked to see the landing, but seeing everyone walking around and the kids playing in the fire tells me everyone remained calm and the pilot did a good job............ flying the airplane.

Watch your airspeed. When the prop stops there is much drag from the prop. It is not the same as pulling it to idle. I practice engine off landings a couple times a year. Good fun.

Correct me i i'm wrong but there is actually less drag with a stopped vs windmilling prop

How come the links to the videos always look funny and never work for me? I am on an iPhone/iPad and using tapatalk.

I am on an iPhone/iPad and using tapatalk.

Well, that's your first mistake. ;)

When the prop stops there is less drag. But in some aircraft you really have to get it slow to get it to stop (in a 172 it'll be below best glide). So if it's not stopped, and is simply windmilling, that indeed will be more drag then you're used to.

I was ready ready for the engine to quit... eight days ago. :)

One cool thing I've discovered about POA's search is that if you paste in the yt movie tag, in this case jTiGU5TiYCE, it finds it if it's been posted before!

Tapatalk is the problem... it doesn't handle the embedded YouTube or Vimeo movie tags. I wish it would at least show it as a link to the YT or V video.

I just hit the top right button and "Open in Safari" to get to the video stuff.

I just hit the top right button and "Open in Safari" to get to the video stuff.

Cool! I'll try that...

EDIT for original question poser: It's top right button (arrow coming out of a box), "More", then "Open in Safari"...

Good tip, Nate!

Last edited:
I agree with whats been said. Would be nice to see some more of the critical moments, but glad to see they made it OK. Reiterates the fact that you need to be prepared. I'm still "waiting" for my failure...

Back