You Just Can't Make This Stuff Up.

If this guy was a pilot would this be a reportable medical condition? :confused: :rofl:

Would he be restricted to flying planes with yokes only? For fear he might grab the wrong..... never mind. :redface:

Frivolous lawsuits are not limited to aviation product liability.

Oh yeah, like frivolous lawsuits don't happen in the other 49 states. :rolleyes:

In Nebraska you can only sue for actual damages, no punitive damage awards allowed here. Pain and suffering? Very rarely awarded. Frivous law suits are almost none existant. Oh, and if the judge feels it is a frivoulous lawsuit he will throw it out and make the loser pay all attorney fees and costs, both sides. :idea:

If this guy lived in Iowa they would name a street after him . ;)

Last edited:
Isn't there some kind of antidote medicine you can give to undo it? Like a big dose of blood pressure medicine that makes him nearly comatose and gets it "normal" again?

Too strange. Normally riding on a seat like that for bicyclists causes impotence not the other way

Isn't there some kind of antidote medicine you can give to undo it? Like a big dose of blood pressure medicine that makes him nearly comatose and gets it "normal" again?

Too strange. Normally riding on a seat like that for bicyclists causes impotence not the other way

I could have showed him a picture of my x-wife. :dunno:

Thatta dun it. ;)

California is a very litigious state and I live here. I do believe we need tort reform. A loser pays type law would go a long way to fixing it. Too many attorneys will take weak cases on contingency, betting on a settlement (too expensive to fight and easier to settle) and more often than not, it works. The system is broken.

California is a very litigious state and I live here. I do believe we need tort reform. A loser pays type law would go a long way to fixing it. Too many attorneys will take weak cases on contingency, betting on a settlement (too expensive to fight and easier to settle) and more often than not, it works. The system is broken.
The legal system is designed to enrich lawyers. The corruption will continue until we quit electing them to legislatures.

I don't know the particulars, but it is possible that this is a perfectly reasonable suit. If this fellow is suffering an honest to Odin medical condition, and it really was caused by an extended ride on a motorcycle, then the seat may need redesign.

I don't know the particulars, but it is possible that this is a perfectly reasonable suit. If this fellow is suffering an honest to Odin medical condition, and it really was caused by an extended ride on a motorcycle, then the seat may need redesign.

Possibly if it could be reasonably foreseen. But it's an aftermarket seat and BMW is only named (probably, assuming the seat wasn't offered through the dealer in some fashion) because they have much deeper pockets. Tort law makes it advantageous to go after everybody in sight because even if you only contributed 1% of the negligence, you can be hit for lots of money.

John

One person claims a "medical condition" out of tens of thousands of people who have not had a problem and your answer is to redesign the seat? :rofl:

:no:

How about he not ride it any more? :dunno:

One person claims a "medical condition" out of tens of thousands of people who have not had a problem and your answer is to redesign the seat? :rofl:

:no:

How about he not ride it any more? :dunno:

How many of these seats are in circulation? How old is the design? Could this guy be the first of many?

Sorry, when I teach and a student tells me they don't understand something, I tend to think there are more and I'm just seeing the tip of the iceberg. I admittedly could be wrong, I don't know the particulars. But not every product liability suit is baseless antagonism to industry. Even the poster child, the hot coffee suit against McDonald's, actually had a very, very reasonable basis.

If you haven't already done so, you might google priapism. There is a possibility that the seat design may have ruptured an artery. However, if treated, he would not have had a 20 month episode.

There are some guys out there who, if "cursed" with a 20 month erection, would spend money on a bill-board advertisement rather than a lawsuit.

If you haven't already done so, you might google priapism. There is a possibility that the seat design may have ruptured an artery. However, if treated, he would not have had a 20 month episode.

There are some guys out there who, if "cursed" with a 20 month erection, would spend money on a bill-board advertisement rather than a lawsuit.
This does not make sense to me. I can't see how priapism could result from sitting on a motorcycle seat or why it could not be treated effectively by a urologist even if it did happen.

This does not make sense to me. I can't see how priapism could result from sitting on a motorcycle seat or why it could not be treated effectively by a urologist even if it did happen.

Did you look it up on google...

High-flow: High-flow priapism is more rare than low-flow and usually less painful. It is the result of a ruptured artery from an injury to the penis or the perineum (area between the scrotum and anus):eek:, which prevents blood in the penis from circulating normally.

So it is not a completely impossible that a badly designed seat could have injured him. I just don't know why he has waited 20 months to have it treated.

http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/erectile-dysfunction-priapism

Yeah, Gary, what's wrong with you? Don't all you doctors use Google as your primary source of info?
:rolleyes:

Yeah, Gary, what's wrong with you? Don't all you doctors use Google as your primary source of info?
:rolleyes:

Didn't know he was a doctor... Why, then, did it seem so far fetched, to Gary that he got injured that way?

The treatment thing is the only thing I question. 20 months is rediculous.

Didn't know he was a doctor... Why, then, did it seem so far fetched, to Gary that he got injured that way?

The treatment thing is the only thing I question. 20 months is rediculous.
I'm still trying to determine how he could rupture a blood vessel that could do this. I have never heard of this type of injury occurring in this manner before.

I'm still trying to determine how he could rupture a blood vessel that could do this. I have never heard of this type of injury occurring in this manner before.

I've anecdotally heard of urinary problems from bicycle racers, so it doesn't sound beyond the pale of reason.

I've anecdotally heard of urinary problems from bicycle racers, so it doesn't sound beyond the pale of reason.
ED can occur from compression of the perineal nerve. This is a relatively common problem with completely different symptoms.

Well, Gary, being you're the doctor, I'll concede to your expertise and not persue it further (I'm not Henning, afterall). Short of a kick in the donuts, I wouldn't expect it, but hey, what do I know?.

But, once again. Whether or not it is valid, the 20 month thing is a little ridiculous, and makes the lawsuit seem bogus to me.

Well, Gary, being you're the doctor, I'll concede to your expertise and not persue it further (I'm not Henning, afterall). Short of a kick in the donuts, I wouldn't expect it, but hey, what do I know?.

But, once again. Whether or not it is valid, the 20 month thing is a little ridiculous, and makes the lawsuit seem bogus to me.
I'm not that kind of doctor but I do have a basic understanding of how things work down there.

I'm not that kind of doctor but I do have a basic understanding of how things work down there.

Everyone is built a bit different Gary. But now that you mention it, this does sound more like an outlier patient than a design flaw in the motorcycle.

Everyone is built a bit different Gary. But now that you mention it, this does sound more like an outlier patient than a design flaw in the motorcycle.
At least one urologist is scratching his head.

Dr. Michael Lutz, at the Michigan Institute of Urology, who said there is no medical data to support the man’s claim. However, “It’s been long-known that compression of the neurovascular supply to the penis — if it’s compressed for a period of time, whether it be on a bicycle seat or some other device — it can actually cause prolonged numbness of the genitalia,”

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/calif-man-sues-bmw-for-persistent-erection/

At least one urologist is scratching his head.

Dr. Michael Lutz, at the Michigan Institute of Urology, who said there is no medical data to support the man’s claim. However, “It’s been long-known that compression of the neurovascular supply to the penis — if it’s compressed for a period of time, whether it be on a bicycle seat or some other device — it can actually cause prolonged numbness of the genitalia,”

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/calif-man-sues-bmw-for-persistent-erection/

Yeah, but genital numbness isn't likely to result in a continuous release of NO, or any of the downstream effects. I'm actually having a hard time seeing it too, but all sorts of things can happen. Probably an outlier, albeit and entertaining one.

This is one reason why, when I buy a new bike, the first thing I do is replace the seat with a nice WIDE one!

Yeah, but genital numbness isn't likely to result in a continuous release of NO, or any of the downstream effects. I'm actually having a hard time seeing it too, but all sorts of things can happen. Probably an outlier, albeit and entertaining one.
So BMW is expected to design seats for every possible variation in human anatomy? I'm still not convinced the seat was the cause of whatever this guy might (or might not) be suffering from.

So BMW is expected to design seats for every possible variation in human anatomy? I'm still not convinced the seat was the cause of whatever this guy might (or might not) be suffering from.

Actually, neither am I after mulling it over. Can't really blame the guy for his suit, if riding the motorcycle was that correlative it might have been causative. Btu requiring the maker to know in advance that such thing might happen is a bit far fetched.

Fortunately, people are far more familiar with motorcycles than airplanes, so with luck the suit won't gain any traction unless someone can come up with a plausible mechanism of how that seat could cause that problem.

My theory on how this happened is: BMW and the seat are responsible because he had to try out the new setup with an extended ride when he was supposed to be somewhere with his SO. When he got back she kicked him in the groin causing an arterial bleed and hematoma in the corpus cavernosum of the penis with the resulting prolonged erection. If it hadn't been for the bike she wouldn't have had to reprimand him. So BMW is at fault, right? :idea:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back