You have the right to remain silent...

I think you're misquoting me. The question is searches when attempting to board, not whether spectators can be searched. In any event, the cases are cited and you can look them up yourself if you want.

And my point is, I am not attempting to board an airliner at the security checkpoint. There are workers that pass through the checkpoint every day that are not attempting to board an airliner.

And my point is, I am not attempting to board an airliner at the security checkpoint. There are workers that pass through the checkpoint every day that are not attempting to board an airliner.
But nowadays you need to show your boarding pass to get through security unless you are a worker. Wouldn't buying a ticket show you have intent to travel? What other reason would you have for buying one?

But nowadays you need to show your boarding pass to get through security unless you are a worker. Wouldn't buying a ticket show you have intent to travel? What other reason would you have for buying one?

If I had disposible income...just to be a pain in the butt. Also, the TSA never checks that close. I print out my boarding pass on normal 8.5 x 11 paper. Nothing a quick photoshop job can't change the date on. Then I can just wander around. I am not attempting to board any airliner, just walking about the terminal area.

There are still exceptions Mari. There are times I need to get through security without any intent on flying. For instance, when picking up a person that requires assistance at the gate. Once can still get a pass to enter the secure area. Another, and one I use a lot, is to have a business meeting in the airline lounge biz centers. We often will have two or three people fly in. Some of use just drive to the airport, we all meet at the lounge for the day, then the fly in people fly out. To do that type of exercise all we do is book the meeting and give a list of attendees to the airline. We then get a pass at the check in counter to get through security.

I guess I am saying is that not all civilians in the security line have an intent to travel.

When questioned about the ID check and intrusive questioning, Francine Kerner posted this in the TSA blog. This is the justification they use for intrusive questioning, which - bolstered by the court decision that you CANNOT terminate the inspection and leave anytime you want bolsters the TSA screeners that engage in this sort of conduct.

Francine Kerner said:
The definition of “screening function,” which focuses on physical inspection—the most intrusive form of screening—cannot be read to limit the Administrator’s broad expanse of authority under the operative language of section 1540.105(a)(2) to establish “systems, measures or procedures” governing sterile area access, including an ID screening process. Certainly, the common definition of screening encompasses methods other than physical intrusion.

Back