You have made it in this life!

dalealan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dalealan
This weekend there was a 737 on the ramp (unusual). Talked to the line boy and he said a man and woman got off along with 2 pilots. They were in town for a 50th reunion (I assume class reunion).
I would say these folks have made it in this life.
I just wen to mine last month in a new Chevrolet pickup.
Dale

If your goal is money and toys, I guess so.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it makes being miserable a lot more fun.

I was having a discussion with my Instructor the other day about wishing I had a bigger/faster plane; after I thought about it a second I realized there's probably some guy somewhere with a Citation Mustang wishing he could have afforded a Citation X.

I was having a discussion with my Instructor the other day about wishing I had a bigger/faster plane; after I thought about it a second I realized there's probably some guy somewhere with a Citation Mustang wishing he could have afforded a Citation X.

And someone in a Citation X blasting along at FLmoon realizing that all he really wants in life is to be in a J3 Cub puttering along the countryside at treetop level.

SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul reported one exchange. His SR-71 was screaming across Southern California, 13 miles high and its crew were monitoring cockpit chatter as they entered Los Angeles airspace. Though they didn't really control the SR-71, LA monitored its movement across their scope. The SR-71 crew heard a Cessna ask for a readout of groundspeed.
"90 knots" Center replied.
Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same.
"120 knots," Center answered.
An F-18 smugly transmitted, "Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests groundspeed readout."
Center (after a slight pause): "525 knots on the ground, Dusty".
The SR-71 realised how ripe a situation this was for one-upmanship: "Center, Aspen 20, you got a groundspeed readout for us?"
Center (after a longer than normal pause): "Aspen, I show 1,742 knots"
No further groundspeed inquiries were heard on that frequency.

I think there is also a description of airplane envy circulating, where the Piper cub pilot looks at the 210 go by, the Cessna pilot thinks of the Baron pilot, who is watching a jet overhead, and the jet pilot is longingly imagining puttering about the countryside in the Piper.

I think there is also a description of airplane envy circulating, where the Piper cub pilot looks at the 210 go by, the Cessna pilot thinks of the Baron pilot, who is watching a jet overhead, and the jet pilot is longingly imagining puttering about the countryside in the Piper.
I fly Cubs to 210s and I do NOT envy folks when I'm flying the J-3... except when it's too windy to get somewhere. Everything has it's place and if you can be content, that is when you are doing well...

Ryan

I think Jay puts it succinctly. And that could easily segue into a discussion of the holiday this week.

Because I fly, I envy no one.

+1

I envy no one. Good for them. I hope they live long and and more prosperous in the coming years.

I've worked all of my life, been given nothing but common sense and good looks. :yikes:
I am checking items off my bucket list so fast I have had to add more items. ;)

Life is good and I have never looked at anyone else and said I wish I had that. I can think of no greater waste of time than being jealous of someone else's success. If I wanted something I got it.

Last edited:
There's a guy, bases a 737 at my home drone. Amazing airplane, but it does not change the fact that he's a dick.

It's gone, evicted by landlord for non-payment of rent according to landlord's attorney. Rent from sublease tenants also said to be missing.
There's a guy, bases a 737 at my home drone. Amazing airplane, but it does not change the fact that he's a dick.

Above a certain point in "success" it always seems to be the liars and cheats up there doesn't it?

Those with sociopathic tendencies tend to rule the rest of us.

One of the "leaders" of the "Occupy Wall Street" thing in one city was found staying in a $700/night hotel room this weekend, I heard.

Only those not paying attention to history were surprised... Local media probably reading from the AP or another network wire, was covering it as if people were surprised. I don't buy it.

I'm far more surprised when I hear that someone who owns a private 737 is a nice person, than finding out they're a dick. There's a definite pattern within those circles.

Above a certain point in "success" it always seems to be the liars and cheats up there doesn't it?

One of the "leaders" of the "Occupy Wall Street" thing in one city was found staying in a $700/night hotel room this weekend, I heard.

Only those not paying attention to history were surprised... Local media probably reading from the AP or another network wire, was covering it as if people were surprised. I don't buy it.

I'm far more surprised when I hear that someone who owns a private 737 is a nice person, than finding out they're a dick. There's a definite pattern within those circles.

Jealousy takes many forms. I'm not picking on you, but this is what I am talking about. I don't spend 2 seconds worring about others. And I never take what someone says about someone else as fact. I make up my own mind that he is a dick. ;)

We are all dicks...just to different people.

Exactly. Even a dick has good friends.

I am a landlord. I am quite sure tenants think I am dick when I evict them for non payment of rent, for selling drugs, damaging my property. Does that change the fact I still evict them? :no:

I am also sure that because I have airplanes and fly they look at me like and say he is a rich dick.

Last edited:
It's gone, evicted by landlord for non-payment of rent according to landlord's attorney. Rent from sublease tenants also said to be missing.

Proof of what I said, it would appear. I wonder where that butt-muncher went next?

Another source said the plane was moved to Denton for now, hoping to find a hangar at Love.
Proof of what I said, it would appear. I wonder where that butt-muncher went next?

Because I fly, I envy no one.

Only had once case of airborne plane envy, well two but P-51s don't count;). First long XC as a PP my dad and I went to Dallas for xmas. We were fighting headwinds and watching cars pass us when a 337 cruised by about 2k higher and significantly faster. Just cemented my strange desire to own a mixmaster one day.

Everything I have done during a 40-some year career in securities, investment banking and jet/turbine aircraft acquisition consulting has been done with sucessful people, since they are the ones who need these services. They are and have been my only customers, and many are currently friends and golf partners.

Like all other cross-sections of the population, some of them are incredibly nice people, and some are jerks. Speculation here notwithstanding, I haven't seen any evidence to support the contention that the percentages of nice guys or bad guys is different from the at-large population. Instead, I suspect that the visibility and publicity they sometimes generate can influence public opinion and the negatives are more newsworthy than the positives.

As a semi-insider to some of their affairs, I also know that much of the reporting relative to their activities is subject to the same half-baked reporting that plagues general aviation. In many instances they are in a no-win situation if they publicly refute the inaccurate/idiotic reporting, so they simply shrug and remain silent with a "sticks and stones may break my bones" mentality that some of the lesser lights associate with their acknowledgement of the allegations.

So far, in aviation, I've only met a couple of downright dislikable people, neither one of them being as what I would call wealthy.

Just about every face to face I have experienced has been positive. For the most part,GA is composed of a bunch of really nice people. I think the thing that stands out most is their sense of humor and their commitment to what they are doing.

Then there is this board, POA........well.......I have yet to come across anyone who would fall in the downright dislikable category. This group is reflective of most all GA pilots or the support folks who lurk about airports.

Money is a swell thing to have lots of, but from what I have experienced since I have taken up flying, it seems to have little or nothing to do with how we judge each other in aviation.

Quite the contrary in yachting, one is judged by the size of their boat, and how well it is maintained. The big question is, what club do you belong to?

John

Last edited:
We have all made it in this life, at least all of us posting here. In the lottery of life we have been lucky. We are not living in some third world slum.

And someone in a Citation X blasting along at FLmoon realizing that all he really wants in life is to be in a J3 Cub puttering along the countryside at treetop level.
But that's because most people flying a Citation X are probably not doing it for their own entertainment, the exception being the guy who bought one for his charity which I posted about on another thread.

Like all other cross-sections of the population, some of them are incredibly nice people, and some are jerks. Speculation here notwithstanding, I haven't seen any evidence to support the contention that the percentages of nice guys or bad guys is different from the at-large population. Instead, I suspect that the visibility and publicity they sometimes generate can influence public opinion and the negatives are more newsworthy than the positives.
Through my job I have also been exposed to many 1 percenters, maybe even .1 percenters and my observations are the same as Wayne's. In most cases if you met them on the street you would never know.

This weekend there was a 737 on the ramp (unusual). Talked to the line boy and he said a man and woman got off along with 2 pilots. They were in town for a 50th reunion (I assume class reunion).
I would say these folks have made it in this life.

yeah, but a 737? Who needs a 737? More importantly, what's cool about a 737?

Reminds me of the old joke about Bill Gates putting a big parking garage on his house: Even nerds with a billion dollars are still nerds.

Last edited:
Through my job I have also been exposed to many 1 percenters, maybe even .1 percenters and my observations are the same as Wayne's. In most cases if you met them on the street you would never know.

Thread Time Out.......

Does anyone else remember when being a 1%er meant you rode a Harley and an outlaw?

Back to your regularly scheduled thread........

Last edited:
More to the point...

aefdb493-11d8-0812.jpg

Back