You guys HAVE to do this!

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Our vacation from w. Texas to the Pacific NW has been packed full of wonderous sights, I LOVE the desert and all the rocks!

Left Friday am - I am trying to do all the flying in the mornings, low level, and vfr so we can enjoy the sights and it is working out great. Got to Santa Fe NM and stayed 2 nights. Lots of walking around the Plaza, plenty of history to take in, Trolley tour, hike in the mountains (should have taken O2!), drive up to the bluff overlooking the Rio Grande; gorgeous skies with a huge thermonuclear cloud each afternoon over the mountains, restaurants out the wazoo, movies (not the usual hollywood baloney), stayed in an apartment decked out with all really ancient wood and multicolored adobe.

This am (Sun) left KSAF for Moab, Utah with diversions to check out Shiprock (see pic) in nw NM, the Four Corners (too much desert so no fences or manmade indications of the state lines...just the cars and RVs milling around the marker), then over Natural Bridge, direct Lake Powell and north along the deep canyon of the Colorado River into Moab.
Landed, got car and hotel, headed off to the Arches Nat Park..AMAZING rock formations!! Some of them are astounding with their size and sheer faces, standing alone unsupported as if they do not belong there. Some you would swear were huge fields of mud that trucks had dumped in neat piles. Some of the groups of columns made me laugh they looked so ridiculous, like something you would give to kids (very large kids) to play with! Huge arches of rock, gigantic holes in the rock. Gorgeous colors. Pics not indicative of the enormity and beauty of the place.

Wiped out by too much fun, too much sun. Tried to stay ahead of the dehydration game with forced water breaks, but still no "P" til after the second beer tonight!
I love the SW desert! You guys have to see this place in person.

Attachments

• NM (31).jpg
    NM (31).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 34
  • Utah 022.jpg
    Utah 022.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Utah 023.jpg
    Utah 023.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Utah 097.jpg
    Utah 097.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Utah 094.jpg
    Utah 094.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Utah 016.jpg
    Utah 016.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 29
Shiprock! 5V5, the only airport I'd ever been to where starting hundreds of miles away I was warned of massive amounts of debris on the runway!

BTW - the sand dunes near Shiprock are amazing. What everyone learns the desert "really" looks like, that's what that area looks like. Unlike the real desert, where its actually filled with yucca and plants.

When I was a kid, we had a different, childish name for that last rock formation. I'd recognize it anywhere. LOL.

This is the stuff I see every time I go flying. Lots more to see on your next trip Dave.

Jon

Another great place to see in the general area is Monument Valley. It's cool from the air but you need to see it on the ground to get the real sense of scale.

The only thing that can make such formations mre beautiful, is a hand-crafted wooden-wing in the foreground.

That, and a POA hat. (grin)

Nice pictures, Dave. There is some totally awesome countryside through there. Flying over the Canyonlands area, I got the feeling I was looking at terrain that has never had a human foot print on it. Hope the rest of your trip is as good.

Barb

Our vacation from w. Texas to the Pacific NW has been packed full of wonderous sights, I LOVE the desert and all the rocks!

When are you arriving in the Pacific northwest? and where?

Cool write-up, Dave!

Thanks for letting us gotta-be-at-work folks live vicariously!

Hope the weather stays your friend...

Yesterday was another wild day of racing around from fantastic view to incredible sight in Canyonlands NP, Utah in the rent car; some pics attached.

Today we left Moab heading NW. We were going to saunter up, but found out the wx was supposed to close in at destination by tomorrow so we decided to beat feet almost direct to Dad's place on Vancouver Island - through Ut, Nv, Or, Wa. Did pass by some more wonderful stuff - time is a bit short and I'm very tired from hours in the air, so here are a few unedited pics, hope not too large:

Bonneville Salt Flats Utah
Recognize these peaks? (yes we stayed out of the tfr/notamed area) that is not an ordinary cloud above the one peak.
The Columbia River
Near San Juan Islands (right past Tom's)
Love what Utah did with their rocks so I had to throw another of those pics in.

Attachments

• Utah2 038.jpg
    Utah2 038.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 16
  • OregonWashington 125.jpg
    OregonWashington 125.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 15
  • OregonWashington 102.jpg
    OregonWashington 102.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Utah2 062.jpg
    Utah2 062.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 16
  • OregonWashington 078.jpg
    OregonWashington 078.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 16
  • OregonWashington 035.jpg
    OregonWashington 035.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 15
  • OregonWashington 022.jpg
    OregonWashington 022.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 11
  • OregonWashington 094.jpg
    OregonWashington 094.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Wow Dave, it sounds like you and Janet are having a GREAT time! I love your pictures! I especially liked the one of the Columbia River...I bet that was fun to fly. :yes:

Keep posting those pictures!

Back