You didn't think that TiVo was collecting personal infomation for NOTHING, did you?

Re: You didn't think that TiVo was collecting personal infomation for NOTHING, did yo

wsuffa said:

They've always had the "Press Thumbs Up for more info" on some ads. Although they will collect every key press on the remote, it gets anonomized and aggregated the second it leaves your TiVo box.... and you can opt-out of even that.

They are able to give instant Nielsen-type ratings.

I say if they get a revenue stream that gets them around, more power to 'em. The new TiVo CEO says they are in talks without everybody on potential deals.

What concerns me is when they get on the edge of being intrusive, like they're doing with the small overlay windows that can pop up when you fast forward through an ad. I haven't had one of those yet. because they aren't yet on the older TiVos.

Just wait until they take your demographic information and sell "customized" or "personalized" commercials to advertisers. That is the "Holy Grail" in media today. Individualized. It commands a 50-100% premium over standard ads. You live in Chicago with high income? You must want a Cadillac. You live in Texas, you must want a truck.

TiVo can do it today, even better than an internet site can.

Re: You didn't think that TiVo was collecting personal infomation for NOTHING, did yo

wsuffa said:
Just wait until they take your demographic information and sell "customized" or "personalized" commercials to advertisers.

Except they aren't going to sell my information. All they have is unit #12293939 in the 606nn zip code. Nothing else gets into their database. They made that promise early on to the FCC and other worried parties.

That is the "Holy Grail" in media today. Individualized. It commands a 50-100% premium over standard ads. You live in Chicago with high income? You must want a Cadillac. You live in Texas, you must want a truck.

TiVo can do it today, even better than an internet site can.

I'd be all for it if it meant that I'd get less of the informercials for morons. I can zap the "Do you need to learn about computers" guy but that isn't good enough. I want the button to cause him severe pain.

mikea said:
Except they aren't going to sell my information. All they have is unit #12293939 in the 606nn zip code. Nothing else gets into their database. They made that promise early on to the FCC and other worried parties.

They don't have to sell your information. In fact, they don't have to sell any specific information. They tell the advertiser they will target households with certain specific demographic characteristics. They need store very little in their database, they can target it through the zip code, telephone number and/or broadband link. And outside data.

I'd be all for it if it meant that I'd get less of the informercials for morons. I can zap the "Do you need to learn about computers" guy but that isn't good enough. I want the button to cause him severe pain.

be careful what you wish for :eek:

I don't care what they do - I'd never give up my TiVo!!!

BillG said:
I don't care what they do - I'd never give up my TiVo!!!

I love my Tivo too. Television on my terms. :yes:

Best thing is that I don't have to remember when something is on, just set up the season pass and forget about it.

Jeannie

Heck, I don't even KNOW when some of my shows are on. They just show up on TiVo like magic and I watch 'em whenever I want. I'm still working on the spring season finales. Should be done just in time for the fall season premieres... :)

I used to work for TiVo. The official statement from TiVo has always been that they collect anonymous data from people, unless they opt out, to feed that information to advertisers and such. This seems to fit right in with their original plan. They are staying true to their word it seems to me.

I'd rather have a stupid little thumbs up icon, or even a mini ad when fast forwarding, than the alternative, which would be to find a way to prohibit fast forwarding through commercials.

FWIW - I no longer have the TiVo service since I no longer get it for free. Instead, I use the DVR that I get for free from Comcast. Comcast struck a deal with TiVo for the markets that use the Motorola DVRs. Unfortunately, Albuquerque uses Scientific Atlanta instead, so I don't get the new features. BAH!!!

Back