You can call me Captain

DavidWhite

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DW
Passed my 135 checkride for an outfit out of Bethel today....starting OE tomorrow hopefully and then I'll get the reins all by myself by monday. It was my best checkride ever - I flew it like I was on rails. I'm pretty stoked!

Congrats now enjoy your new position.

Congrats. Good luck. We're all counting on you.

What was the AC for the checkride?

Congrats Dave! Out of curiosity, what's the ultimate career goal? Airlines?

Passed my 135 checkride for an outfit out of Bethel today....starting OE tomorrow hopefully and then I'll get the reins all by myself by monday. It was my best checkride ever - I flew it like I was on rails. I'm pretty stoked!

Very cool David. If I had life to do over again I would be competing with you for that spot. ;)

Well done Captain Dave! :D

Last edited:
Congrats, David. In addition to interesting flying, I imagine you're going to meet some interesting people. Have fun with it!

Way to go Dave, enjoy your time in AK. I loved my time there and go back as often as I can.

Very seriously, David, your journey and "growing up" over the last 4 years or so has been fun to watch. Have a great time with it!

(please don't ever really grow up...none of the rest of us have. Especially me. As you well know)

Part 135 huh? Do you get to wear Dork Bars and a Hat without people making fun of you?

Do you prefer Captain Plebe or Captain FNG? ;)

Seriously, congrats! If I didn't have a great job and a wonderful wife, I'd certainly be interested in doing what you're doing. Flying in a place so beautiful, where people depend on aviation rather than ridiculing it, would be really nice... Even if it's colder than here! (sometimes.)

Have fun and fly safe!

Hmmm, David is in Alaska, so what's deli-girl up to? is it time to sample some pastrami on rye? (snark, snark, snark)

There he is in a captains shirt and cap.
Imperious dowager wearing a diamond choker will point at a stack of luggage a hundred yards away and say, 'here boy, load my things. Oh, and bring me a coffee with double sugar and light on the cream. And I do hope you know how to fly this uhhh, thing, don't you?"
So much for the power of being 'the captain' :D
Ask any air taxi pilot who's been around a while.
You are just a glorified bus driver and errand boy, whether 'you' know it or not.

And, good on ya, for making the grade.

Imperious dowager wearing a diamond choker will point at a stack of luggage a hundred yards away and say, 'here boy, load my things. Oh, and bring me a coffee with double sugar and light on the cream. And I do hope you know how to fly this uhhh, thing, don't you?"
You are just a glorified bus driver and errand boy, whether 'you' know it or not.

Downside: He has to load the luggage.

Upside: There isn't a whole lot of it.

Hey, congratulations! There are a lot of people here excited with you.

You are obviously unaware of the tribulations of flying in Alaska. Glorified bus driver? No.

Am I going to be wearing captains bars and hat? No.

So far, all of the passengers I have flown with thought it was very cool. We have rampers to load/unload when we are at base (but we supervise them) but we do have to load stuff when we aren't at the base. The people up here are very respectful, and would never do something like that to a pilot. We are their lifeline to the outside world.

Last edited:

Congratulations, but that Avatar of yours, and the thought of you being at the controls of a flying fuel tank going hundreds of miles an hour is a little frightening.

If your passengers share their food with you, and some of it is, umm, different from what they eat in Lincoln, be sure to tell us about it. I want to hear!

Just dont forget all your old friends when you become a rich and famous airline pilot.

:D

And of course... Congrats!! We're proud of ya.

Do you prefer Captain Plebe or Captain FNG? ;)

Seriously, congrats! If I didn't have a great job and a wonderful wife, I'd certainly be interested in doing what you're doing. Flying in a place so beautiful, where people depend on aviation rather than ridiculing it, would be really nice... Even if it's colder than here! (sometimes.)

Have fun and fly safe!
Better Captain Dave than JAFO Dave.
Congrats Dave (no longer JAFO!)

In a few years when David has flown everything with wings and has more ratings than God, I'll be telling other retirees at fly-in breakfast that I met him when he was just a kid selling T-shirts.

Back