You Are Hungry, What Do You Eat To Lose Weight?

Hopefully it's not microwave popcorn! You don't want to get popcorn lung inhaling those fumes :nono:

No, I own my own little air popper. My popcorn gets one tablespoon of butter and some spice (using Old Bay at the moment).

Hopefully it's not microwave popcorn! You don't want to get popcorn lung inhaling those fumes :nono:

Well plus the oil in those things adds horrid calories. Same with oil popped corn.

Well plus the oil in those things adds horrid calories. Same with oil popped corn.

Ever open a bag of unpopped microwave popcorn? The contents looks like a white hockey puck. It has to be seriously hydrogenated to be that solid at room temperature. Better to make it in a pan, or air pop it if you're really trying to avoid calories.

I don't eat to lose weight. I eat to not gain weight. I exercise to lose weight. I've been making sure we have a lot more veggies and fresh fruit around, and try to keep the bad stuff (ice cream, chips, etc) out of the house - I know I have problems avoiding that stuff when I'm in a grazing mood. Bell peppers, carrots, lettuce, apples, Cuties, organic peanut butter, etc. And I don't remember the last time I had a burger or for that matter pretty much any red meat. It's been months, much to my wife's chagrin. Lots more fish (salmon, especially) and some chicken.

For popcorn, you guys seriously need to try a Whirly Pop. It will pop up a batch of popcorn with, I swear, a teaspoon of oil. Perfect, every time. We had an air popper for a while, but it made nasty, chewy popcorn. Maybe they are better now, but Whirly Pop is the bomb diggity. Makes great kettle corn too, if you're in the mood for something sweet.

Ever open a bag of unpopped microwave popcorn? The contents looks like a white hockey puck. It has to be seriously hydrogenated to be that solid at room temperature. Better to make it in a pan, or air pop it if you're really trying to avoid calories.

Yeah. Stuff is horrid.

I'll have to look into that. I love popcorn, but not that cardboard tasting stuff that comes out of all the air poppers I tried.

Steingar, I might have to try a little of that old bay. I love that stuff on seafood. But I try to avoid too much of it because of the salt. I have been using granulated garlic and a little cayenne. I don't even miss the salt that way.

For popcorn, you guys seriously need to try a Whirly Pop. It will pop up a batch of popcorn with, I swear, a teaspoon of oil. Perfect, every time. We had an air popper for a while, but it made nasty, chewy popcorn. Maybe they are better now, but Whirly Pop is the bomb diggity. Makes great kettle corn too, if you're in the mood for something sweet.

I'll have to look into that. I love popcorn, but not that cardboard tasting stuff that comes out of all the air poppers I tried.

Steingar, I might have to try a little of that old bay. I love that stuff on seafood. But I try to avoid too much of it because of the salt. I have been using granulated garlic and a little cayenne. I don't even miss the salt that way.

I don't mind the air popped stuff at all, but of course it will taste better if popped in oil. Just more calories that way.

I was using a Cajun spice mix until I ran out, I reacted badly to its replacement and have been using Old Bay ever since. Nothing wrong with garlic and cayenne, I just can't do without the salt. Got kidneys, so no worry.

Yeah, I stay away from the commercial stuff in the bag. You can make your won with some corn, a little oil and a paper bag. At least that way you can use oil that's step up from bearing grease.

Protein and a lots of water. Hard boiled eggs,egg salad,chicken salad ,tuna salad. No carbs.

It's not what you do eat, it's what you don't eat.

Tom nailed it. People may come down on me for this but when I lost weight I ate nothing but ham sandwiches (ham and bread) and chicken noodle soup. I never went hungry. I could eat all I wanted. I'd occasionally have a candy orange slice for a treat.

I.....I was using a Cajun spice mix until I ran out, I reacted badly to its replacement and have been using Old Bay ever since. ......

Never heard of Old bay.. I will look for it next time I am shopping...
I got addicted to this stuff 30 years ago... Great on anything, especially popcorn...:yes:.. I buy it 6 lbs at a time....

http://evergladesseasoning.com/history/

It's all about calories. You can eat lard and lose weight as long as you burn more calories that you take in.

It's all about calories. You can eat lard and lose weight as long as you burn more calories that you take in.

Our OP's problem, however, has been hunger. True, you can eat anything and loose weight if you employ portion control, exercise and discipline. Not everyone can accomplish this in the face of the resultant hunger, especially when caloric foods are easily within reach. Hence the rather good question about which foods are filling but non caloric, and the very good answers.

I used to always say the same thing, but after ditching grains and most carbs, I'm convinced there is more to it. For one thing cravings go away which makes everything so much easier.

I've have great success with the frozen food diet. Calories are a measure of heat. Your body has to give up calories to warm frozen food to body temperature. A frozen Snickers bar nets out at zero calories. A handful of frozen peas is actually negative calories. You have to be careful - to much frozen low-cal foods and you can starve to death.

Graze to your heart's content, as long as it's frozen.

I used to always say the same thing, but after ditching grains and most carbs, I'm convinced there is more to it. For one thing cravings go away which makes everything so much easier.

Not exactly the same thing. You can consume more lard calories than grain calories because lard is harder to break down and absorb. Grain (carb) calories are absorbed completely and quickly broken down to glucose. Fats and proteins have to be broken down in to aminos, then starches, then to glucose which is a longer and inefficient process.

In either case, all foods have to be broken down to glycogen for energy and/or fat storage.

Snacks for me are pistachios, pecans, celery, black olives and cheese sticks. Regular diet is eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast, tuna salad or ham rollups for lunch and a small salad and some kind of meat or fish for dinner.

This may sound strange. Since I started taking Fish Oil 1200mg (Omega-3) three times a day as indicated on the bottle I started to loose weight at a rate of 3 pounds per week. So far lost 15 pounds in one month. This got me worry since I have not changed my diet or my activities. Except for daily routine walking at home and at work I do no other excersice. I have noticed however that my bowel movements are more routine with slightly bigger discharge amount than before. It makes me feel that I am wasting money on food when I flush. I think what it does it helps metabolize the food better and more efficient.

Before I was taking Fish Oil 1000mg but just once a day and never noticed any change in weight. I read on the web that 3000mg daily is the optimal dose. After taking it three times I day I noticed no pain at all getting in my Mooney. Looks like all my previous minor joint pains are gone.

It appears that the difference is on the dosage. I take the CVS Pharmacy brand at meal times. The pill is big but easy to swallow. It is some sort of jelly like.

Wonder what others have experienced with Fish Oil. The web is full of positive comments about it and I was skeptical about it until I tried three times a day.

Comments on the above are welcome.

José

This may sound strange. Since I started taking Fish Oil 1200mg (Omega-3) three times a day as indicated on the bottle I started to loose weight at a rate of 3 pounds per week. So far lost 15 pounds in one month. This got me worry since I have not changed my diet or my activities. Except for daily routine walking at home and at work I do no other excersice. I have noticed however that my bowel movements are more routine with slightly bigger discharge amount than before. It makes me feel that I am wasting money on food when I flush. I think what it does it helps metabolize the food better and more efficient.

Before I was taking Fish Oil 1000mg but just once a day and never noticed any change in weight. I read on the web that 3000mg daily is the optimal dose. After taking it three times I day I noticed no pain at all getting in my Mooney. Looks like all my previous minor joint pains are gone.

It appears that the difference is on the dosage. I take the CVS Pharmacy brand at meal times. The pill is big but easy to swallow. It is some sort of jelly like.

Wonder what others have experienced with Fish Oil. The web is full of positive comments about it and I was skeptical about it until I tried three times a day.

Comments on the above are welcome.

José

Thanks for the details about your poop. :lol:

I started taking fish oil about a year ago on the advice of my then-doctor, who was concerned about my triglycerides. I really haven't noticed any difference -- in my poop, my triglycerides, or otherwise.

But I'm only taking 2 grams a day, all at once. Maybe I'll try taking 1 gram T.I.D.

-Rich

Last edited:
Stray cats. Pound them thin, sauté with lemon and capers.

Back