You + airplane = We?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
So, when it is just you in your airplane (no dogs, wasps, snakes, baby chickens, etc.) are you and your airplane really a "we"? I was reading a book last night and the author used "we" when he was flying alone in his airplane, which seemed right in that particular case. Sometimes on the radio, pilots say "we" when they are the only living person in the airplane. Sometimes I use "we" when it's just me in the airplane. But, I sense that my airplane has soul, so it sometimes feels appropriate to think that. :)

Why do we do that, though? Is there some interesting, historical story behind why some pilots indicate there are two or more souls on board when they are alone in the airplane?

BTW, I'm not asking for a regulatory opinion.

It's a good question, but it's not limited to aviation. I've heard ham radio operators say it too, even though it's just them and the radio in their shack. Maybe it's just habit that we say 'we' even if you're the only one there because the responses where we use 'we' are typical and repetitive, so it's just the first thing our brain kicks back?

That's bizarre, I never thought about it before -- but my radio work is always "we", and I do 95% of my flights solo.

I wonder if they have meds for that, and if I need to disclose them on my next medical exam :D

I've always thought it was the royal we as in "We are not amused".

Joe

I know my airplane has a soul and mind of its own, because when I have a not so pretty landing it has to be the airplanes fault. :D

So, when it is just you in your airplane (no dogs, wasps, snakes, baby chickens, etc.) are you and your airplane really a "we"? I was reading a book last night and the author used "we" when he was flying alone in his airplane, which seemed right in that particular case. Sometimes on the radio, pilots say "we" when they are the only living person in the airplane. Sometimes I use "we" when it's just me in the airplane. But, I sense that my airplane has soul, so it sometimes feels appropriate to think that. :)

Why do we do that, though? Is there some interesting, historical story behind why some pilots indicate there are two or more souls on board when they are alone in the airplane?

~~~~
Hi Diana,
I think it's common for ships to be named and for airplanes to have a name too - think of all that nose art on those WWII planes. My plane's name is Julie and I have a relationship her. If you spend many hours w/ a machine, you get a sense of it having a personality - I think it's that we relate to that and begin to feel it as having some sentience. I know that engineers in ships talk to their engines, pilots talk to their planes, Kevin talks to our bus ... I talk to my plane. I don't think that it would be the same in a rental airplane at all. I think it relates only to a plane that you own and spend time with regularly. And, it makes a difference if it's a machine that your life depends on. I don't talk to the coffee maker for example - although I suppose first thing in the morning my life sorta depends on it :)
Anyway, that's my first thoughts on it... Good question.

Cheers
J

I am pretty sure I always say "I" - even when having a passenger or passengers. Maybe the "we" is a habit of all you folks that have been in relationships so long you've lost all individuality, and you've been ingrained to respond "we" to everything. :D

Any time I'm in a plane there are at least 3 of us... Me, myself, and I... or me and the little guy standing on my left shoulder whispering how much fun we could have if... and then the guy standing on my right shoulder whispering how much of an idiot that guy on my left shoulder is.

I'm really almost never in my plane alone, Rebecca is with me 98% of the time so I/we can't make a real comment, we can only tells jokes on precioussssss.....

Lindbergh wrote a book on this called "We".

If its just me in the plane and I am talking to ATC its "we". Just sounds right.

probably because he actually wrote Spirit. I've got a copy of We at home though I should really read it just to say I have.

When I fly the glider, its We.

We, are more comfortable and happy when "we" are in a group of us's. Were a flocking, herd, pack, etc. species. We look to safety in numbers.

Our idea of entertainment is congregating with large numbers of our own kind, such as concerts, parades, amusement parks, movies, etc. We think if there is a problem, like pigeons, we will be able to hide and stay safe, in among all the rest of "us". We also think that if we get in trouble, others will be there to help us.

We build our homes close to and among a lot of other homes, for the same reasons.

We also like to be alone, but we feel much safer if we have a means of communicating with others if we find ourselves in any sort trouble. Some of us consider themselves as loners, yet they watch TV, listen to the radio, and read books that involve others of our own species. We, as a species, like the thought that we are part of a group, even if that group consists of ourselves and our airplane, car, or boat.

Then if you think about it, the only reason we are interested in planes, cars, or boats, is so that we have a method of traveling to others of our own kind.

When we make decisions, we are more comfortable saying things like "we" have decided, rather than "I" have decided. If our decision is wrong, the blame can be spread. There is safety in numbers.

We, are always, we.

John

Last edited:
'We'
Used to dupe the controller into the inflated importance of the flight, and the need for expeditious handling. Ie if atc thinks its just one guy in that flivver, he won't you give any breaks; gotta use 'We'!!

Last edited:
We was his first account of the Atlantic crossing and he wasn't happy with it, so to set the record straight he wrote The Spirit of St Louis, a far better read, IMHO.

Agreed. I've also read them both.

I like everyone's thoughts on this. Here's my take:

When the controller calls you, he doesn't Tim, descend maintain 2k.

He/she says Cessna 13081, descend maintain 2k.

He/she is talking to you, but buy using the correct callsign, is addressing you and the plane.

Tim

That's it. I'm going to legally change my name to 727DS, so the controller *is* addressing me. :D

Afraid I've never been a huge fan of the editorial or royal 'we', and the airplane with me in it somehow doesn't make us plural. Must be insufficiently sentimental, but much as I like the beast, 58H has never had a gender or pet name, either. If I'm alone, it is I. If I have passengers, it's 'we.' But more often, it's something like "58H, leaving 12 for 8000."

Delta Sierra stand for something...?

Bwahahaha... I'm so going to use that in conversation from now on.

"You're such a delta sierra."

Were my first thoughts when I first looked at the plane. One of the few Comanches that doesn't end in Papa. Looked through the logs but couldn't determine who changed the tail number, and therefore do not have a clue as to why. If I get it repainted, I may change the tail number again.

58H has never had a gender or pet name, either."
I've always held that since whenever women or airplanes get real quiet real fast it's a good sign that I am in deep do-doo, is enough to call my airplanes she.

If I'm alone, it is I. If I have passengers, it's 'we.' But more often, it's something like "58H, leaving 12 for 8000."
I agree when it contact with atc it's rare we need a first person pronoun.

Joe

BTW, I'm not asking for a regulatory opinion.

fwiw - I don't use "we", at least as far as I can remember. It's
either something like "N56713 with a request" or "I'd like to ...".
I'm not even sure I ever use "we" even when I have a pax.

Jeanie;559999 If you spend many hours w/ a machine said:
When I'm in the driver seat of my minivan (where I have sat for well over 100K miles), I mostly yell at other drivers. :goofy:

That's bizarre, I never thought about it before -- but my radio work is always "we", and I do 95% of my flights solo.

I wonder if they have meds for that, and if I need to disclose them on my next medical exam :D
That's funny. :D

I've always thought it was the royal we as in "We are not amused".
Joe
Joe, you almost sound like you've been on the receiving end of that comment. ;)

I've always held that since whenever women or airplanes get real quiet real fast it's a good sign that I am in deep do-doo, is enough to call my airplanes she.
Joe
See what I mean? :D

I know my airplane has a soul and mind of its own, because when I have a not so pretty landing it has to be the airplanes fault. :D
:D Yeah, I prefer to blame the airplane, too. ;)

It's been interesting, reading all the comments here. :)

Why do we do that, though?

When our body is alone in the airplane, we have all kinds of interesting discussions about any number of topics. There's no one else there to listen, so who cares if we talk among ourselves? Only one or two of us are allowed on the radio, though, to keep the controllers from freaking out.

:loco:

When Lindbergh was given the Keys to the City of New York, the Mayor referred to Lindbergh as a "great grammarian" for "introducing to the English language the aeronautical 'we'" (see Lindbergh, A. Scott Berg)

So there it stands.

My airplane is just that, an airplane. Just like my mount in 1974, government issue with four T54s and 11,000 hp. Just an airplane.

When our body is alone in the airplane, we have all kinds of interesting discussions about any number of topics. There's no one else there to listen, so who cares if we talk among ourselves? Only one or two of us are allowed on the radio, though, to keep the controllers from freaking out.

:loco:

That was funny. :D

When Lindbergh was given the Keys to the City of New York, the Mayor referred to Lindbergh as a "great grammarian" for "introducing to the English language the aeronautical 'we'" (see Lindbergh, A. Scott Berg)

So there it stands.
I didn't know that. Interesting!

No we for me.

When talking to ATC I am the plane and the plane is me. Nothing separate and distinct about it. It's behavior reflects my skill and concentration. It is not something I address. It is something I connect with.

Just my 2 bani.

Great Thread!!!

I guess I also use 'we' in the plane, just sorta a partnership between the plane and myself...

I haven't thought about naming the plane, I just call her 71D. Sometimes I have interesting names when the MX issues arise, but won't use that language here...

Always thought of the plane in the female vernacular...

Back