Yosemite visit

TheFB

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TheFB
Planning a Yosemite visit late summer/early fall. I’ll be coming from Southern California and returning to there. Wanting to visit Yosemite and (with the wife) that requires hotels, not camping. While I’d like to land closer to Yosemite, I’m looking for which field makes the most sense for hotels, rental cars and a pilot that is new to higher DA flying. We plan to do all takeoffs as early am as possible. Any suggestions?

Planning a Yosemite visit late summer/early fall. I’ll be coming from Southern California and returning to there. Wanting to visit Yosemite and (with the wife) that requires hotels, not camping. While I’d like to land closer to Yosemite, I’m looking for which field makes the most sense for hotels, rental cars and a pilot that is new to higher DA flying. We plan to do all takeoffs as early am as possible. Any suggestions?

Mariposa-Yosemite is about as close as you'll get. Nice airport. Call ahead about rental cars.

Merced calls itself the Gateway to Yosemite. I wouldn't stay at any of the hotels there.

Fresno??? Well, it's Fresno.

You could go to Mammoth-Yosemite (KMMH) airport, rent a car and drive over Tioga Pass. A great way to see more than just Yosemite. Mammoth has whatever accommodations your wife wants. Motel 6 to high dollar condos.

My son is a CHP Officer in that area. So wave as you pass any CHP cars. :)

Oct 2011
KMPI Mariposa in Bellanca Viking
car rental, 3 mi to local motel
early am departure into Yosemite, 35? mi
hike Half Dome, then retreat
partner half-dies from dehydration, exhaustion, hyponatremia
Gatorade recovery, but delay by one night
Mariposa Pizza Factory burns down next spring
KMMH is on the other side of the Sierras, would add a day to the trip

They used to run the bus from KMPI to the park, but not sure if they still do or if the schedule will work for you. KMPI is a fun airport, bit of an odd runway slope, so pay attention when deciding whether to take off downhill with a tailwind or uphill with a headwind. If you can get a rental car there, it is ideal.

If you're new to mountain flying, KMMH may not be a good choice, that can be hardcore mountain flying when the winds are up.

Consider an AirBnB at Pine Mountain Lake (E45). A rental car is available. Nice restaurant in the gated community, beautiful lake, championship golf course, 26 miles to Yosemite gate. Or fly in here and stay at Rush Creek Lodge. I live here and can provide tips if you need.

Many parks require advance reservations.
Probably caught by your due diligence already...but people still get turned away from our state park, after hours of driving.

Thanks for the tips. Looking into several now.

Back