Yoke mounted map light

Airbossbob

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airbossbob
How to remove and replace bulb in Cessna 182T yoke mounted map light?

If you figure it out, let me know. Ours has always been burnt out. The one in the eyebrow panel works well, though.

Also want to know. The one in our 182P (similar to Nate's) is intermittent. Occasional use of deadly force and nasty will make it operative, but more often, it is INOP

I do now have an answer to replacing the yoke mounted light bulb on late model Cessna 182's. The "bulb" is really a plastic reflector with the bulb molded in. I checked a nearly new 182 and the bulb came out like a regular bulb with pins on opposite sides Push up (in) slightly and rotate counterclockwise. Out it comes...however I found the the bulb and its plastic molded socket on the plane I recently purchased had separated from the aluminum L--shaped bracket that supports the plastic socket and pushing inwards did nothing but move the whole assembly inward (upwards) making the removal of the bulb impossible.
A single lock nut behind the yoke holds the light assembly bracket in place. Remove this nut, (nothing else is attaches to this stud) the bracket/bulb very carefully as no to break any soldered wire connections and snake the bracket/bulb out from behind the yoke. Looking at the back side of the yoke, there are four studs molded into the yoke and they are used to hold the cabling and other stuff in place.

The nut to remove is at the 8-oclock position looking at the rear of the yoke. In my case the plastic socket had just "slid " up the plastic socket, so I opted to epoxy the plastic socket to the bracket where there is a slight circular indentation about .060" from the open end of the socket where the bracket was originally "press fit" into place.
This is a real cheap and unerdesigned light assembly and does not belong on a half million dollar machine.
I repeat, be careful not to break either of the 2 soldered connections on the plastic socket. The plastic socket contains the metal socket that the bulb /reflector plugs into.QUOTE="Airbossbob, post: 2461493, member: 32785"]How to remove and replace bulb in Cessna 182T yoke mounted map light?[/QUOTE]Tricky, but can be done.
airbossbob

Do you have the bulb number? I got the bulb out, but don’t know the number I need to purchase.

Back