Yikes. Truck pile up

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
35858223-20082553.JPG
It is a little icey around here. Several road near where I work were closed this week for ice.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-michigan-city-crashes_webfeb21,0,3924504.story

35860138.jpg

I think I'll stay off the roads until April.

Kent said that WI highway decided to save salt by waiting to do the roads...until the road through Janesville starting piling up became impassible.

With temps in the single digits rock salt doesn't work. They have to spring for calcium chloride.

My village got salt. They have a hired vendor who secured some from Kentucky.

Last edited:
...with your back to traffic, at 3 AM...

I feel bad for everyone involved and the driver of the car who hit everyone is as much a victim as the others (maybe more, unless he likewise did something stupid). I couldn't imagine being in his position.

Ahh....... beautiful Puget Sound, 2500 bkn and 55 today and my daffies are up ready to bloom.

Ahh....... beautiful Puget Sound, 2500 bkn and 55 today and my daffies are up ready to bloom.

It will be nice to get home to that next week. Nothing blooming in Copenhagen, and I suspect Paris won't be much different this weekend.

Kent said that WI highway decided to save salt by waiting to do the roads...until the road through Janesville starting piling up became impassible.

With temps in the single digits rock salt doesn't work. They have to spring for calcium chloride.

My village got salt. They have a hired vendor who secured some from Kentucky.

Where you at Mike? I was in Gurnee (Grand Ave) and the town just below there (west of the interstate on Milwaukee Ave) about 2 weeks ago and the roads were snow/ice packed due to lack of available salt.

Where you at Mike? I was in Gurnee (Grand Ave) and the town just below there (west of the interstate on Milwaukee Ave) about 2 weeks ago and the roads were snow/ice packed due to lack of available salt.

It's it's east of Gurnee, that sounds like Waukegan. I'd be impressed if they even had plows. ;)

Yep. Gurnee ran out, too.
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/gurnee/news/781155,gu-snow-020708-s1.article

We got the calls, and my cul-de-sac was unsalted and unplowed for almost a week. I'm sure the village hall got complaints. The village pickup trucks eventually came through and plowed. They just don't have that many trucks. They later gave more work to the contractor and they got salt.

The state dept of transportation doesn't have a shortage, so the state routes are fine.

You don't mess with snow removal around Chicago. Snow cost Mayor Daley #1's successor the election and Chicago got Jayne Byrne. Daley #2 even lost to her.

BTW, we very well could be hit another 15" storm before Spring really arrives. I remember when I was a kid we got like 21" in April. :hairraise:

Last edited:
Just remembered, I went from Gurnee to Libertyville.

Interesting how the wx influenced politics.

Uhhh, I think you misunderstood. Last time, they didn't put the salt down. Two trucks couldn't make it up the hill, resulting in a 21-mile backup that lasted over 12 hours. The Governor declared a state of emergency and the National Guard along with some helpful folks on snowmobiles took food to the stranded motorists.

The NEXT storm, they put salt down.

35858223-20082553.JPG
It is a little icey around here. Several road near where I work were closed this week for ice.

I think I'll stay off the roads until April.

Well, I'm glad they waited until Wednesday morning to do that - I went through there while the snow was falling on Tuesday - Twice (very early AM and late night.)

Now, I understand why you sought so much help to wire your home. :)

That's not evidence. THIS is evidence:

I raised the front blinds this morning. As they are wont to do from time to time, and with my ham-handed strength, the whole shebang came crashing down.

I went to pop them back in the brackets, but this set was different from the others! There was no recessed groove on top to put the bracket in. These had the groove covered with a sliding cap. I looked at the how the next window's was. Yep. The bracket dips into the recess on top and grabs the lip on the bottom. This set was different.

I stuck the blinds in the raised position in the brackets as best I could.

So later in the morning I Googled for and downloaded the blind installation instructions. They weren't much help. They mainly showed how to attach the brackets to the window frame. No mention of how the blinds snap into the bracket.

So I looked back up at the troublesome set of blinds - and realized I had them upside down. :redface:

Last edited:
So later in the morning I Googled for and downloaded the blind installation instructions.

Mike: I'm so sorry. First we have to read that "Adam's Gone"; and now that you've hit such a low point that you had to resort to reading the "blind instructions." That should raise a little hell with your next medical. Hopefully, you'll be able to sight in on a proper solution.

HR :fcross:

Back