Yikes...its cold!

mpartovi

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mpartovi
Woke up today at about 6...got ready...went outside...YEOOOOOWWWWW....went back inside....wore 2 more layers and grabbed my coat.

It was a good 15 degrees this morning...and not to mention the light snow that fell a couple days ago.

Yeah...you midwesterners know....winters here!

Get ready for COLD DENSE air, unlimited visibility, crystal clear skys, engine preheat, and icing.

Not to mention the gloves, hats, coats, scarfs, and so on...:D

Yep, had to wear a fleece today.

I'll get out the winter coat when it gets to -25C

My dad left ORD yesteday and it was snowing. When he arrived at RDU it was a balmy 78. I wish I could have gone on that trip. It would have been interesting to have seen the deicing process.

HPNFlyGirl said:
My dad left ORD yesteday and it was snowing. When he arrived at RDU it was a balmy 78. I wish I could have gone on that trip. It would have been interesting to have seen the deicing process.

It ain't that much to see. They spray stuff on the plane. That's pretty much it.

N2212R said:
It ain't that much to see. They spray stuff on the plane. That's pretty much it.

It's much more fun to just watch the truck on a cold night. At least, one of the ones at MSN does this thing to keep itself warm where there's a sudden flame-thrower type of event at the top of the truck. :D

jkaduk said:
It is? Love those Santa Ana's.
KMYF 171853Z 24004KT 10SM CLR 24/M04 A3008

Yeah, but I can get climb rates of 2000fpm in my Cherokee 180 this time of year.

Deicing is boring.

I remember being on a January flight from Rochester MN to Minneapolis. It was snowing heavily. Due to delays, they ended up deicing the plane 3 separate times.

It was 3 degrees in Grand Forks this morning. :) The 50 mph wind gusts have diminished. I don't mind the preheats and doing a preflight in -30 windchills. All I'm asking is for it to clear up enough for me to fly. (And that the carb and pitot heat work properly. :) )

mparvati said:
Get ready for COLD DENSE air, unlimited visibility, crystal clear skys, engine preheat, and icing.

terry

We had to suffer through a bone chilling 61F this afternoon. Well, last night was down to 30F!..... thats the high desert for you, heater in the morning, a/c in the afternoon many times!

Hey Terry, how far from Hope, ND are you? I remember stopping off there on my trips to Minnesota as a kid to visit cousins, which included, well, nearly everyone in town...

Well it's 10:34 PM and the temp here in harrisburg is 31 degrees,guess i'll have to start preheating. Dave G

One advantage to renting....

I go out to RST. Get the keys.. Go into the heated hangar and preflight and check fuel.. Grab my fuel samples and go pour them outside.. Hop inside the plane in the heated hangar and have the line guys tow me out

:)

and winds and low ceilings and snow!

I'm pi**ed because I had to cancel a LifeLine flight Sunday (winds), a business flight Wednesday (snow with high winds) and now an introductory flight for a friend tomorrow due to 1,00 ft ceilings and rain/snow.

I don't mind the cold and would love some CAVU!

gkainz said:
Hey Terry, how far from Hope, ND are you? I remember stopping off there on my trips to Minnesota as a kid to visit cousins, which included, well, nearly everyone in town...

Hope is appx 77 mi SSW of GFK. (I had to look that up. I've lived here since '98 and still don't know the state that well.)

terry

Re: Yikes...its cold! Yeah but...

RotaryWingBob said:
Our huskies are loving it -- they don't want to come back in the house :dunno:

I'll never forget one of our Akitas in 20 below zero F cold one day (NOT factoring any wind chill). She was not curled up in a fur ball with her tail over her nose but instead, stretched out on her side on the snow taking a nap !

terzap said:
Hope is appx 77 mi SSW of GFK. (I had to look that up. I've lived here since '98 and still don't know the state that well.)

terry

A good friend of mine has a farm near McVille about 40 miles west of you.

Back