Yet another repuation suggestion

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Would it be possible to have the "20 different posters before you can give the same person rep" rule have a time limit?

Steve Pocock made a funny today that's had me giggling off an on several times, and I thought that bit of happiness deserved a pos rep hit. Turns out I can't, gotta spread it around to other people first. Heck, the last time I gave anyone rep was in June 2005. I think it would be nice to be able to give someone rep after a reasonable time frame (1, 3, 4 months?), regardless of who else you've given rep to. Facts are, some people post more than others, and are more likely to generate posts deserving of recognition, pos or neg.

Joe thats a great suggestion. I tried to give you a + rep point but I gave you one 14 months ago so it wouldn't let me. LOL just kidding. But it is a good idea!

Along those lines is there anything I can get with my positive reputaiton points? Can I get something if I collect enough like Frequent Flyer miles or green stamps ( am I dating myself) Perhaps if you get 20 reputation points you get free POA membership the next year.

Chuck Joe's idea gets my vote. For that matter why even have a limit.

Its a good idea, but I'm afraid the software doesn't have an option for restricting the 'spread around' factor by a certain time period.

The reason for the "spread around" factor is that otherwise, one person could just repeatedly give + or - hits to another without any limit.

AdamZ said:
Along those lines is there anything I can get with my positive reputaiton points? Can I get something if I collect enough like Frequent Flyer miles or green stamps ( am I dating myself) Perhaps if you get 20 reputation points you get free POA membership the next year.

You get more you get rep points, the more rep point power YOU have!

Bill is that like picking up extra life in video games:rolleyes: . Chuck what is wrong with loading on the rep? I mean will it really cause a problem? Fact is some folks just have a lot of valuable posts.

AdamZ said:
Bill is that like picking up extra life in video games:rolleyes: .

Kinda, and you get to spead that life around!

For example, I was only able to give rep to one of the four posters so far in this thread... Too bad this feature doesn't exist!

Greebo said:
Its a good idea, but I'm afraid the software doesn't have an option for restricting the 'spread around' factor by a certain time period.

The reason for the "spread around" factor is that otherwise, one person could just repeatedly give + or - hits to another without any limit.

Since no one brought up the 20-spread around factor as being too large/small. I just want to say that I think it is just right. It forces you to also give rep points to other people and not just have your favorites.

AdamZ said:
Bill is that like picking up extra life in video games:rolleyes: . Chuck what is wrong with loading on the rep? I mean will it really cause a problem? Fact is some folks just have a lot of valuable posts.
Yes, they do, but without limits on how much reputation can be given at one time, and how often rep can be given to person A by person B, abuses can take place, and in systems like this, if abuses CAN happen, they WILL happen.

I've posted a query on the vBulletin fan forums asking how hard such a mod like this would be.

Greebo said:
Yes, they do, but without limits on how much reputation can be given at one time, and how often rep can be given to person A by person B, abuses can take place, and in systems like this, if abuses CAN happen, they WILL happen.

Not sure I understand how it could hurt if I gave you for example a + rep point every day:dunno: but FWIW I trust ya so I'll go with that. :yes:

Greebo said:

We need the limits because as Chuck has indicated abuses can and have taken place. Just look what happened to this poor soul when reputation is given without constraint http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/member.php?u=229

:hairraise::rofl::eek::hairraise::rofl::eek:

AdamZ said:
Not sure I understand how it could hurt if I gave you for example a + rep point every day:dunno: but FWIW I trust ya so I'll go with that. :yes:
Scenario 1: Someone gets a bug up their wazoo and decides they didn't like you, would you like them to be able to give you a negative hit, over and over, for every post you've done, driving your reputation down rapidly?

Scenario 2: two people who are not socially well adapted team up and give each other positive rep hits over and over again, inflating their reputation artificially high.

In either scenario, a new person could then join the forums and see the artifically inflated or deflated reputations and reach the wrong conclusion about the person with that reptuation.

Reputation is intended to be a serious reflection of how the community views your value as a member of the community. Thats why I don't like it when people give out positive rep points "just because". Thats why we need brakes on how out of control "cliche rep pointing" can get.

Please note, in the previous post, I'm not trying to target anyone. The less than serious usage of the reputation system is too widespread to target any individual.

Honestly, in our latest MC meeting to discuss whether to keep or toss it, I nearly voted for toss it. Its been a year, and I don't see much benefit coming from it.

But we're giving it a little longer. :)

Greebo said:
Please note, in the previous post, I'm not trying to target anyone. The less than serious usage of the reputation system is too widespread to target any individual.

Honestly, in our latest MC meeting to discuss whether to keep or toss it, I nearly voted for toss it. Its been a year, and I don't see much benefit coming from it.

But we're giving it a little longer. :)

I don't see it really having a "benefit" to the board, I just see it as a toy, but then, there's nothing particularly wrong with having toys. The problem I see as to its usefulness actually rating people IS the limitation. Face it, there's no particular reason to give many people a point, and if you want to go by value of posts, some people have more high value posts than others. Really, I think that's what the reputation system is set up to establish, who has the high value posts, but that doesn't really become obvious because once they've had a few hits, they can't get anymore because the people who use them as intended, can't give any more points. It's a conundrum.... I think Joe did have a good idea, wonder if you can get a patch to do that?

Well, I suppose it would be LESS of a problem if we had more people to whom it really was worth giving those valuable rep hits.

So there's two solutions that we could implement w/o a code mod:
1) Get more people involved at PoA;
2) Lower the "spread it around" limit.

Of course, we'd like to see a lot more of #1 - and we *are* growing - but the rate is hardly lightning speed. :)

Perhaps we could consider lowering the "spread it" limit to 10...

Greebo said:
Well, I suppose it would be LESS of a problem if we had more people to whom it really was worth giving those valuable rep hits.

Of course, we'd like to see a lot more of #1 - and we *are* growing - but the rate is hardly lightning speed. :)

I count 7.

Chuck I guess my confusion rests in the fact that I don't understand how the rep points acutally work. I mean if you put your cursor over the little green square near your user name it either says " Greebo will be come famous soon enough" or " Greebo is on a distinguished road". What does that really mean. I like the rep system because it lets me just drop a line to folks and say hey I liked you post. or Thanks for a good explaination etc. but I never looked at it as a rating system because I just don't see or understand that aspect of it. I guess you could accomplish what I want to do by sending a PM that says hey Great idea or something like that.

I do have one request. If you are going to give me +rep points PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME ON IT so I know who you are. If you give me -rep so be it. I'd like to know who you are but wont' push that issue. I think many folks think that thier signature line is automatically added to the reputation comment. I always type my name.

AdamZ:

Read the sticky threads in the Site Feedback Forum for info on how Reputation works.

Greebo said:

That might help. In my case, the "spread around" limit is the primary reason why I rarely attempt to give rep points anymore. It seems that almost every time I try I can't.

lancefisher said:
That might help. In my case, the "spread around" limit is the primary reason why I rarely attempt to give rep points anymore. It seems that almost every time I try I can't.
Yes! This is what I was trying to say earlier. Thanks Lance :) :yes:

Back