Yet Another Raffle - 172 for $50

airspeedlive

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pat
I purchased a ticket for this raffle a few months ago. They just sent a letter in the mail saying they need to sell more tickets. They have sold 669 and need 1,200 to break even, maximum 2,500. Figured I would post it here to spread the word. I am not affiliated in any way.

Raffle date is January 5th, 2013 - They will raffle the plane regardless of the number of tickets sold.

http://www.winnaero.org/

man that looks pretty old

I purchased a ticket for this raffle a few months ago. They just sent a letter in the mail saying they need to sell more tickets. They have sold 669 and need 1,200 to break even, maximum 2,500. Figured I would post it here to spread the word. I am not affiliated in any way.

Raffle date is January 5th, 2013 - They will raffle the plane regardless of the number of tickets sold.

"A minimum of 1,200 tickets must be sold or the raffle will be cancelled and ticket proceeds refunded."

http://www.winnaero.org/raffle_new_info.pdf

Being that airport is 40 miles away, I think I will buy one :)

"A minimum of 1,200 tickets must be sold or the raffle will be cancelled and ticket proceeds refunded."

The letter I received is dated August 23rd, it states:

"The WinnAero Board of Directors at a recent meeting voted unanimously to have a drawing even if money is lost."

The letter I received is dated August 23rd, it states:

"The WinnAero Board of Directors at a recent meeting voted unanimously to have a drawing even if money is lost."

I guess $33,450 so far will do that :)

Old isn't necessarily bad, but I clicked on the raffle details PDF file and it's a 172G that they value at $27,700, which doesn't really mesh with reality.

I like old 172s but they're not worth $27k...

Old isn't necessarily bad, but I clicked on the raffle details PDF file and it's a 172G that they value at $27,700, which doesn't really mesh with reality.

For an airplane that's got an average of 75 hours a year or so on it, with a low to mid-time engine on it, with what appears to be good paint and interior, I don't think that's too far off to be honest with you. VRef certainly has it a bit higher than that yet.

For an airplane that's got an average of 75 hours a year or so on it, with a low to mid-time engine on it, with what appears to be good paint and interior, I don't think that's too far off to be honest with you. VRef certainly has it a bit higher than that yet.

Not to be confrontational, but no one at Vref actually buys airplanes, either...

We're getting to the point where something older than a 172G would be interesting because it had manual flaps, ala 172D, or a straight tail, like a 172B.

As it sits, a 172G might be really nice, but it's old enough that it has an O-300, rather than an O-320, but it's not old enough to be a really classic plane.

Kind of like how a 1959 or 1960 Chevy Bel Air has some value, but a 1962 doesn't.

In any case, the first person this year to pay $27,700 for a 172G will set the market. The second person to pay $27,700 for a 172G will validate the market. So far, neither one has stepped up to the plate so far as I can tell.

if I had 27k to spend and not a dollar more. I'd consider it

if I had 27k to spend and not a dollar more. I'd consider it

Heh, how much would you pay for a 172N with an Avcon conversion and a Garmin GTN-650? :wink2:

Yeah, it's a '66, but with less than 3500 TT... probably never a trainer, and 445 hrs SMOH isn't bad with an O-300. Looks pretty good to me. They're including $1200 for fuel or flight training... the plane and the money could get me started on my IR... hmmm...

Dammit, here I go again with another tempting raffle... :mad2:

Yeah, it's a '66, but with less than 3500 TT... probably never a trainer, and 445 hrs SMOH isn't bad with an O-300. Looks pretty good to me. They're including $1200 for fuel or flight training... the plane and the money could get me started on my IR... hmmm...

Dammit, here I go again with another tempting raffle... :mad2:

Someone needs to set the market price, might as well be you...:wink2:

But I think I'd go into the negotiation about $6k short...

Someone needs to set the market price, might as well be you...:wink2:

But I think I'd go into the negotiation about $6k short...

I'm not saying I'd pay $27K for it, just $50 for the ticket and about $5K(?) in income taxes. :wink2:

Anyway, it looks pretty sharp for that year; only drawback might be the panel, which looks like a museum display. :D

They should seriously consider using something other than html "height" and "width" attributes for image sizing, nobody on a slow cellular data connection or dial up is going to sit there and wait half an hour for multiple 2-3MB files to download.

Not to be confrontational, but no one at Vref actually buys airplanes, either...

We're getting to the point where something older than a 172G would be interesting because it had manual flaps, ala 172D, or a straight tail, like a 172B.

As it sits, a 172G might be really nice, but it's old enough that it has an O-300, rather than an O-320, but it's not old enough to be a really classic plane.

Kind of like how a 1959 or 1960 Chevy Bel Air has some value, but a 1962 doesn't.

In any case, the first person this year to pay $27,700 for a 172G will set the market. The second person to pay $27,700 for a 172G will validate the market. So far, neither one has stepped up to the plate so far as I can tell.

No doubt. I'm just saying, that without seeing the plane in person, I think $27K is a decent place to start as a seller.

Back