Yet another migration...

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
About a year ago, I decided to purchase a VPS account on a cloud in my never-ending search for what I consider the Holy Grail of hosting: 100 percent uptime.

That didn't work out as planned.

In all fairness, the hosting was actually very good. But the uptime wasn't "100 percent" as promised. And I'm not talking about a few pings or a few minutes. Some of the outages lasted for hours. That's unacceptable to me.

But also in fairness, some of the outages really weren't the hosting company's fault. Two of them, which occurred within the same week about a month ago, seemed to have been caused by a problem with either PHP or Apache. On a hunch, I decided to update PHP and rebuild Apache, and the problem disappeared. Why? No idea. But although I agree that the problem wasn't really the hosting company's fault, I was mightily annoyed that it took more than two hours for the support techs to get the tickets.

Last night there was another problem. It was obviously a network issue. I was getting packet loss ranging from 25 to 60 percent. I submitted a ticket, and within 10 minutes of the support tech reading it, the problem was solved. Another machine in the DC had been zombied and was spewing forth UDP traffic. It was isolated and suspended, and the problem cleared up immediately. The problem, once again, was that it took well over two hours for the ticket to reach the tech. So the 10-minute fix took nearly three hours to execute.

I know that there's always a queue for support, but two hours seems unacceptable to me -- especially in view of the "100 percent uptime guarantee."

I asked to be compensated for the outages last month, and the hosting company refused, stating that the problem was not their fault, per se. (This was the Apache/PHP thing.) I countered that it really didn't matter whether it was their fault or not. What mattered was that it took upwards of two hours before the support tech even got the ticket, during which I couldn't access the server to try to fix it myself. I lost that argument.

So I started my quest again, and I found that VPS.net has had pretty consistently good reviews. I bookmarked their page and waited until the next problem, which happened last night.

So I had a little online chat session with Nick Nelson, the Managing Director of VPS.net, and decided to give them a try. I opened the account this morning, and within minutes of their receiving a copy of my driver's license (why they needed it, I have no idea), my account was activated.

Of course, all that meant was that I had an account and a number of "nodes" available for my use. I still had to build a VPS on them. That was easy enough: I selected a centOS 5.3 LAMP image, and it was up and running in minutes. Then it took maybe another 45 minutes or so to install cPanel, maybe half an hour to rebuild Apache with the modules I needed, about an hour to migrate the 30+ accounts over, about a minute to create the reverse proxy needed by one of the sites (the automated migration in cPanel missed the reverse proxy), five minutes to install and configure CSF, and about ten minutes to set up rsync for the optional remote backup.

The VPS works great so far. I still have the old VPS running, limited to pulling DNS duty until the IP changes propagate. But the page loads and script executions are noticeably faster on the new VPS, and the total resource loads are much lower.

But perhaps just as importantly, my two tickets to VPS.net support were responded to within minutes. They were simple, sure: One was a question about the CSF configuration, and the other was a request to set up rDNS. But it doesn't matter that the tickets were simple. The point is that the tickets reached the support engineers in minutes, not hours. Very nice. That's what I like to see.

So we'll see how this stage of my journey to find true "100 percent uptime" goes. I'm impressed with VPS.net so far, and the server is working beautifully; so I'm optimistic.

-Rich

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip about VPS.net

Please keep us updated on how this provider is working for you. I plan on switching services in a few months and have been looking for a reliable VPS.

You might take a peek at Hawkhost http://www.hawkhost.com/. I am using their shared hosting but I see that they also have VPS offerings.

I am in my second year with HH and I have had too many previous hosts. This one is, so far, the best ever by a large margin. Even if they live in Canada. B)

I hope this endorsement doesn't put the hex on them. So many hosting companies reach acceptable to good levels and then go into the tank. :wink2:

You might take a peek at Hawkhost http://www.hawkhost.com/. I am using their shared hosting but I see that they also have VPS offerings.

I am in my second year with HH and I have had too many previous hosts. This one is, so far, the best ever by a large margin. Even if they live in Canada. B)

I hope this endorsement doesn't put the hex on them. So many hosting companies reach acceptable to good levels and then go into the tank. :wink2:

That's been my experience, as well. A lot of hosting companies seem to have a "golden age" during which they can do no wrong. Service, support, reliability, etc. all are near-perfect. But then they start to slip. Management becomes less accessible. Ticket times creep up. Reliability starts to suffer. Connectivity slows down. I've observed this cycle several times in the ten or so years I've been doing this for a living.

I initially feel somewhat more comfortable with VPS.net because I actually had positive experiences with their sister company, midPhase. I had several accounts there years ago that I canceled because they were no longer needed, not because of any dissatisfaction on my part. So VPS.net has a familiar lineage, of sorts.

We'll see how it goes. I'm hopeful.

-Rich

EDIT: I've only dealt with one Canadian DC, and I found it to be excellent. One of my previous hosting companies used a DC in Montreal that was outstanding. But then they had to move my account elsewhere (Atlanta, I think) for some reason (I forget exactly why), and the connectivity and reliability weren't nearly as good.

Last edited:
There is no such time as 100% uptime. If you want 4 9s, talk to HostingMatters and bring money, get your attorney to review the SLA, sign it. None of the SLA-less providers will ever do what you want.

I tend to use RackSpace's and EC2 cloud instances, but I do not harbor any illusions about the real life reliability and availability.

About a year ago, I decided to purchase a VPS account on a cloud in my never-ending search for what I consider the Holy Grail of hosting: 100 percent uptime.

That didn't work out as planned.

In all fairness, the hosting was actually very good. But the uptime wasn't "100 percent" as promised. And I'm not talking about a few pings or a few minutes. Some of the outages lasted for hours. That's unacceptable to me.

But also in fairness, some of the outages really weren't the hosting company's fault. Two of them, which occurred within the same week about a month ago, seemed to have been caused by a problem with either PHP or Apache. On a hunch, I decided to update PHP and rebuild Apache, and the problem disappeared. Why? No idea. But although I agree that the problem wasn't really the hosting company's fault, I was mightily annoyed that it took more than two hours for the support techs to get the tickets.

Last night there was another problem. It was obviously a network issue. I was getting packet loss ranging from 25 to 60 percent. I submitted a ticket, and within 10 minutes of the support tech reading it, the problem was solved. Another machine in the DC had been zombied and was spewing forth UDP traffic. It was isolated and suspended, and the problem cleared up immediately. The problem, once again, was that it took well over two hours for the ticket to reach the tech. So the 10-minute fix took nearly three hours to execute.

I know that there's always a queue for support, but two hours seems unacceptable to me -- especially in view of the "100 percent uptime guarantee."

I asked to be compensated for the outages last month, and the hosting company refused, stating that the problem was not their fault, per se. (This was the Apache/PHP thing.) I countered that it really didn't matter whether it was their fault or not. What mattered was that it took upwards of two hours before the support tech even got the ticket, during which I couldn't access the server to try to fix it myself. I lost that argument.

So I started my quest again, and I found that VPS.net has had pretty consistently good reviews. I bookmarked their page and waited until the next problem, which happened last night.

So I had a little online chat session with Nick Nelson, the Managing Director of VPS.net, and decided to give them a try. I opened the account this morning, and within minutes of their receiving a copy of my driver's license (why they needed it, I have no idea), my account was activated.

Of course, all that meant was that I had an account and a number of "nodes" available for my use. I still had to build a VPS on them. That was easy enough: I selected a centOS 5.3 LAMP image, and it was up and running in minutes. Then it took maybe another 45 minutes or so to install cPanel, maybe half an hour to rebuild Apache with the modules I needed, about an hour to migrate the 30+ accounts over, about a minute to create the reverse proxy needed by one of the sites (the automated migration in cPanel missed the reverse proxy), five minutes to install and configure CSF, and about ten minutes to set up rsync for the optional remote backup.

The VPS works great so far. I still have the old VPS running, limited to pulling DNS duty until the IP changes propagate. But the page loads and script executions are noticeably faster on the new VPS, and the total resource loads are much lower.

But perhaps just as importantly, my two tickets to VPS.net support were responded to within minutes. They were simple, sure: One was a question about the CSF configuration, and the other was a request to set up rDNS. But it doesn't matter that the tickets were simple. The point is that the tickets reached the support engineers in minutes, not hours. Very nice. That's what I like to see.

So we'll see how this stage of my journey to find true "100 percent uptime" goes. I'm impressed with VPS.net so far, and the server is working beautifully; so I'm optimistic.

-Rich

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Linode for Drunken Delivery business....seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll check out VPS.net now too, just to compare.

From what I heard, Linode is a Linux geek heaven. It specializes in extremely cheap full-access VMs based on Xen, and generally caters to that kind of crowd. For example, I was told Linode is not trigger-happy killing DoSed accounts like, for example, Bluehost. Despite the street rep and market positioning, Linode still has no IPv6 on VMs. Linode will not deliver the uptime that OP seeked, but nothing will.

I understand that nothing is perfect, and things do break. In fact, I was originally trained to fix them when they do.

But if they advertise "100 percent uptime," "Full fault-tolerance," and "100 percent redundancy," then outages should be brief, and ticket responses speedy.

-Rich

Well, the first week was mixed. As it turns out, the cloud I selected to build the VPS on was having "issues," which resulted in several downtime incidents, one of which was major (well, about 30 minutes) because it required a FSCK. That was the worst outage. All the rest were only a few minutes. I just detest downtime. Maybe too much. It gives me gray hair.

On the positive side, all of the issues were addressed by Support amazingly quickly. I'd say the average response time was about four minutes. In addition, the Support Engineers didn't try to blame-shift. I got explanations, apologies, and ultimately, a full refund of my first month's payment.

I also got an offer from them to migrate my VPS to any other cloud I chose, and a suggestion as to which one. I declined their offer to migrate it for me because I prefer to do these things myself. I also got them to agree to let me leave the existing VPS running for a while to do DNS duty, to hopefully avoid client-side caching problems (because the IP addresses changed with the move).

Ultimately, I chose to do a fresh build on the new VPS because I've read good things about CloudLinux and wanted to give it a try. It's basically centOS optimized for clouds, and it does seem to run "cooler," for lack of a better word. Overall resource usage is indeed lower than it was on an identical VPS running plain centOS.

Conveniently, they had a CloudLinux LAMP template with cPanel preinstalled, so I was able to skip the actual OS and cPanel installation. I just had to do the cPanel updates, Apache rebuild, CSF installation, reverse proxy for the video feed on the turtle site, and simple stuff like that. All went very smoothly.

Until I did the mass migration using WHM, that is. I had never done it that way before, and I kind of wish I hadn't this time. Many of the databases got hosed in the process of migrating, and WHM apparently didn't pick up on it because it reported "success" for the affected account migrations. I noticed it myself when I checked and found that some of the sites weren't working right.

It was easy enough to fix, however. I just manually migrated the databases from the old VPS to the new one, and all was well. Took only a few minutes because all of the databases were small. Had they been larger I would have re-pointed DNS back to the old VPS to get the sites back online more quickly. But it was just as fast to just migrate the databases and be done with it.

Soo... despite the several problems during my first week with this company, I was mightily impressed with their speedy response times, the frankness and helpfulness of the support people, their offer to do the migration for me, and the refund. Problems do happen, and the company did bend over backward to help me and to make things right money-wise.

Quite honestly, I can't think of much else they could have done to make things right. They even let me keep the old VPS running to do traffic cop work after they'd refunded my payment. Can't ask for much more than that.

So for the time being, I'm staying. Time will tell, but my impression has always been that speedy responses by competent people are a sign that a hosting company cares about quality. So is issuing a refund when there are problems. So despite the glitches, I'm still persuaded that this is a quality outfit.

Again, time will tell. But my gut feeling is positive.

-Rich

Last edited:
You need to move all this crap to a nerd board and stick with real migrations when you're talking to pilots. Especially this time of year when we're sharing the airspace with them. :tongue:

You need to move all this crap to a nerd board and stick with real migrations when you're talking to pilots. Especially this time of year when we're sharing the airspace with them. :tongue:

dang canadian gooses :incazzato:

I just wish PoA didn't go down so much....and respond so slow...afraid we're going to lose people to the other boards.

I just wish PoA didn't go down so much....and respond so slow...afraid we're going to lose people to the other boards.

I don't recall POA ever going down... nor responding slowly...

-Rich

I think the content of conversations is more important, at this level of availability at least. If you aim at creating a Twitter-like service, you might want to think about going full-custom instead of using a PHP board.

I don't recall POA ever going down... nor responding slowly...

-Rich
It was a joke.

It's reliable mostly because it's in a solid data center and it's running on good hardware without anything else (big server, small site). Not super redundant but often times redundancy adds failure in complication. Redundancy done right is hard work...

zaitzev said:
I think the content of conversations is more important, at this level of availability at least. If you aim at creating a Twitter-like service, you might want to think about going full-custom instead of using a PHP board.
I'd wager our availability is better then Twitter but that's just because it's a simple site.

I recall one (1) time the site was down when (IIRC) a switch failed (some kind of mega-thousands switch, not the cheap-ass stuff I buy).

Site was back up as soon as Jesse (or was it Jason) could drive there and swap it out.

I think dese guys does a phenomenal job.

Back