Yet Another Logbook Program

airdale

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
airdale
I was a happy user of Safelog until they decided to to lock up my data if I didn'nt pay for renewal. At that point I decided to write my own program. Now, after a year & a half of tinkering, I think it has gotten pretty good. It'll probably never be a commercial product but I am curious to get others' inputs.

Main features:

The data is in an Access file, so the user always owns it and can import/export, analyze, etc. at will. There are only two user tables, Flights and Aircraft, so migration is relatively easy for people with home-made Excel logbooks.

The program is preloaded with the layouts for all Jepp, Sporty's, and Gleim logbooks, so the data display can exactly match the user's paper logbook. Data display is completely customizeable, however, so special column titles can be added and column order can be changed. The user can create and use as many different display layouts as he likes.

Flight data entry is designed to reduce errors. You can't, for example, log approaches unless you are logging hood or actual IMC time. You can't log "dual given" if you have said the flight is solo. It prompts if it thinks the flight description is incomplete. Lots of that kind of stuff.

It provides all the 8710 data for airplanes and gliders, including # of PIC glider flights (which is required by Part 61 but actually not asked for on the 8710).

It tracks both "Cross Country" and "Cross Country > 50" and includes a distance calculator that knows lat/long for 4,300 airports.

PM me if you'd like to try it. I'm willing to send out four or five copies initially. Understand, though, that is is an alpha-type release and is almost guaranteed to be frustrating at times. I am pretty sure it will never mess up your data, however.

Yes, it's called "YALP."

Last edited:
I now have enough volunteer alpha testers. If testing goes o.k., I'll repost here about availability.

Thanks.

Back