Yet another I hate modern cars rant

My personal beef is with the push for larger and larger infotainment screens and then making it easier to synch to phones. People spend more than half the time driving looking at their phones. How much bigger before it's too much?

Attachments

• Truck Big Screen Display for 2023.jpg
    Truck Big Screen Display for 2023.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
I'd love a back up camera that works in parking lot when I'm stuck between two massive SUV's. Looks around the back of the behemoths to let me know if I can back out. I end up having to do the ease out very slowly and hope the cars going way too fast will notice. It's a given that I did not park between these giants, they came after I parked.
I almost always back in for that reason, as backing out of a space is quite a setup; idiots try to shoot the gap and if you hit them, you are at fault. Backing in does slow things down in a crowded lot but it’s worth it.

My point as well. Your insurance may be cheaper somewhere with those safety items, but premiums overall will go up to wipe that away because every car is now more expensive to repair due to having to replace numerous sensors, modules, etc every time someone is in a minor fender bender.
This:

I almost always back in for that reason, as backing out of a space is quite a setup; idiots try to shoot the gap and if you hit them, you are at fault. Backing in does slow things down in a crowded lot but it’s worth it.

Worth it to you. This is a common thing now where I live and it's mildly annoying -- mainly because people here are about as nimble at backing into a parking space as they are with parallel parking, and I get to sit while they get it kinda sorta right on the fifth try.

Not directed at you of course. :) Hopefully everyone gets better at the "fast getaway parking" fashion trend.

Worth it to you. This is a common thing now where I live and it's mildly annoying -- mainly because people here are about as nimble at backing into a parking space as they are with parallel parking, and I get to sit while they get it kinda sorta right on the fifth try.

Not directed at you of course. :) Hopefully everyone gets better at the "fast getaway parking" fashion trend.
It might be apocryphal but I recall a question, I think asked of aspiring Naval aviators. “Which you rather have happen, throw up on a crowded bus or slam your hand in the door?” I know which one I would pick.

There have been reports of cars self locking the doors with the key fob inside. Do you really want to risk that?
You can unlock it with an app in most cases.

My list of things I like about modern tech is much larger than the list of annoyances.

Back