yet another first solo

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
The weather was perfect at KGAI this morning. Preflighted, got my endorsements, filed, and waited for gas. Three laps with my CFI followed by three laps on my own. Excitement didn't start setting in until my last turn to base or so. I've been grinning from ear to ear since.

There's nothing like being on downwind for your first solo landing and glancing at the empty seat...

Congrats!

Congrats...

It's sad that the word "filed" is now part of describing a first solo.....

Congratulations! It's a great feeling.

Congrats.

Even though I only live 10 miles away, I've never been to GAI.

Been there a few times, before & after the dreaded SFRA (nee ADIZ). A nice field, and OK lunch counter. Not as nice IMHO as Frederick, though. But I am partial to my hometown; I like to visit as often as I can - -Mother sometimes buys me lunch at the nice restaurant there. It's about an hour from Phila. and a fine trip, VFR or IFR.

congratulations, good sir! let's see a pic of the shirt once it's decorated.

Been there a few times, before & after the dreaded SFRA (nee ADIZ). A nice field, and OK lunch counter. Not as nice IMHO as Frederick, though. But I am partial to my hometown; I like to visit as often as I can - -Mother sometimes buys me lunch at the nice restaurant there. It's about an hour from Phila. and a fine trip, VFR or IFR.

Nice restaurant where? The one that used to be in the old tower (I was told it closed)or are we talking Sheetz? I love KFDK but it's also where we tuck the ship in at night so I'm a bit bias.

I would have to say that second best so far would have to be Bay Bridge (W29), well, kind of. I say "kind of" because I never actually landed there. I put her down in the front lawn of the seafood restaurant that sits between the field and the bridge.

I've heard the restaurant at KESN is good, too.

congratulations, good sir! let's see a pic of the shirt once it's decorated.

"Decorated" is one way to put it...

Attachments

• 201570_211168112245124_159578264070776_772742_3282254_o.jpeg
    201570_211168112245124_159578264070776_772742_3282254_o.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 110
Outstanding, you never forget your first!

Second solo yesterday. No VASIs this time, and a touch of crosswind.

XC solo from KGAI to KLNS scheduled for next weekend.

Way to go! I hope he's not dousing you in avgas in that photo. :wink2:

Congratulations! I have this thrill upcoming AGAIN.

I solo'd 20 years ago in a 150, then about three months ago again in a 150. Now I'm starting over again in a taildragger. I expect that my taildragger solo will be equally exciting, especially since it should accelerate my training rate and get my PPL finished up.

Keep us posted regarding your ongoing training progress.

Doc

Out to KLNS at 3500, a go-around, and three landings to a full stop. Slightly bumpy ride back to KGAI at 4500, one go-around, and one landing to a full stop.

Last edited:
Wow, George that was so fast I nearly got dizzy!

Long XC solo tomorrow, KGAI-KLNS-KFDK-KGAI.

There's nothing like being on downwind for your first solo landing and glancing at the empty seat...
No kidding. And then have the words "HOLY *****! I'm up here by myself and gotta land this thing!" go through my brain.

Thoroughly enjoyed the eperience....

Congrats to the OP! It gets more fun from this point.

Long XC solo tomorrow, KGAI-KLNS-KFDK-KGAI.
Enjoy that flight. My first long XC solo was the moment when I realized the fun of travelling by air with me at the controls.

That video was too fast to see your landings! Congratulations though! They didn't dump water on me or cut my shirt (they did nothing) when I solo'd. Fun that you have that dumping water photo forever. You will look back on it and remember what a great day it was.

I go on my first solo XC tomorrow and I am now starting to get nervous! I've done two pattern only solo's and one practice area solo thus far.

Kimberly

That video was too fast to see your landings!

That's probably for the best...

I go on my first solo XC tomorrow and I am now starting to get nervous! I've done two pattern only solo's and one practice area solo thus far.

Excellent! Have fun.

Scrubbed the long XC solo due to time constraints, so just went to LNS again. P-40 was in its engorged state today anyway, so it's just as well. Filed my first flight plan via 122.2, which kept things interesting. Had a handful of decent crosswind landings after I remembered not to be so shy with the rudder.

Last edited:
Good luck. I just did all my solo XC requirements in one weekend, and what a weekend. You will have a blast.

Another day, another 2.4 hours PIC, and my solo XC requirements are done too!

The engine misfired or stuttered three times within a few moments of each other about 30 minutes in to the flight, thankfully never to occur again. These were later attributed to either crud in the fuel (sumps were clean) or crud flaking off of the plugs (I'd leaned). Those moments felt very long. Otherwise, no major snafus.

Another day, another 2.4 hours PIC, and my solo XC requirements are done too!

The engine misfired or stuttered three times within a few moments of each other about 30 minutes in to the flight, thankfully never to occur again. These were later attributed to either crud in the fuel (sumps were clean) or crud flaking off of the plugs (I'd leaned). Those moments felt very long. Otherwise, no major snafus.

Oh my, I would have peed my pants. But perhaps I should post about that in the pee thread.

But seriously, great job and way to go keeping your cool after hearing a horrible sound such as an engine stutter. Yikes. Did you get to park the plane at a stop or two, or did you just do stop and go's?

I say stop and go's because I found out that touch and go's don't count if you need those three solo towered airport landings, they must be to a full stop. However, if you train out of a towered airport already, this is never an issue.

Kimberly

Yeah, I parked at LNS to walk around a bit and report the sputtering incident. I had already met my landing requirements (my home field is untowered), but I did full stop landings anyway.

Still need to work on dealing with variable crosswinds on short final. Argh.

Yeah, I parked at LNS to walk around a bit and report the sputtering incident. I had already met my landing requirements (my home field is untowered), but I did full stop landings anyway.

Still need to work on dealing with variable crosswinds on short final. Argh.

I didn't "get" crosswinds until about now (75 hours). It will come to you, just keep trying. I don't see crosswinds that often at my airport so I didn't get the chance to practic much.

I didn't "get" crosswinds until about now (75 hours). It will come to you, just keep trying. I don't see crosswinds that often at my airport so I didn't get the chance to practic much.

Hope so. I'm at about 45 hours. Sometimes, I get the nice wing-low squeaker, sometimes I get the balloon/bounce/plop. Seems random; last week's landings were pretty good, this week's, less so. So it goes.

One week, I was lucky enough to fly every other day and noticed huge improvements. On weeks where it has been 7 or more days since I have flown I usually don't perform as well - not sure how often you are flying.

Usually once a week, sometimes twice. I will probably ramp it up as I get closer to the checkride...

Hope so. I'm at about 45 hours. Sometimes, I get the nice wing-low squeaker, sometimes I get the balloon/bounce/plop. Seems random; last week's landings were pretty good, this week's, less so. So it goes.

If you balloon, get blown too far off the centerline, or are otherwise out of shape in your flare, you can usually fix it without going around.

As long as you have plenty of runway, just feed in enough power to keep the airplane slow flying, and fly it till its straight and you're in good shape for a touchdown. Then pull off the power and set it down.

However, if you're way off the centerline, or you're running short of runway, best just to go-around.

Congrats, and best of luck with your training.

As long as you have plenty of runway, just feed in enough power to keep the airplane slow flying, and fly it till its straight and you're in good shape for a touchdown. Then pull off the power and set it down.

My balloon salvage attempts usually include a blip of power to arrest the descent, but not enough to do as you suggest; that may be something to try.

However, if you're way off the centerline, or you're running short of runway, best just to go-around.
Yup. I've had a few of those, and a few more that, in hindsight, should have been go arounds.

Congrats, and best of luck with your training.
Thanks!

My balloon salvage attempts usually include a blip of power to arrest the descent, but not enough to do as you suggest; that may be something to try.

Yup. I've had a few of those, and a few more that, in hindsight, should have been go arounds.

Thanks!

I used to be good at "salvage" until I realized my instructor just wanted me to GO AROUND. After this I did much better and was allowed to solo again.

I can still "save" landings but have learned it is best to go around.

Back