yet another bucket list item

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
My 3yo logged his first 0.4 today. :rockon:

Fun stuff, if I ever have a kid (and get the Com/cfi) I wonder if I could log him/her a ton of duel. Be pretty cool to be 16 and go for your checkrides with 1000 hours duel logged and 10 hours solo :rofl:

Fun stuff, if I ever have a kid (and get the Com/cfi) I wonder if I could log him/her a ton of duel. Be pretty cool to be 16 and go for your checkrides with 1000 hours duel logged and 10 hours solo :rofl:

Get him started in a glider, he can solo at 14. Why wait 2 more years!

Of course, I suppose he would prefer dual, and not duel.
Why would he want 1000hrs of sword play to fly?

If you have the airplane and the rating ,get him all the dual you can.

That is cool. How did he like it? I have a 2.5 year old granddaughter. I have not taken her flying yet because I wanted to order her a childs headset first. The headset came in last week but I put my airplane in the paint shop Friday afternoon and I will be suffering through separation and anticipation anxiety for the next 3 to 4 weeks. When I get the plane back I will be ready to take her up.

Overall, I think he did really well! My two big concerns were seat belt and headset, and he kept both on.

He was a little apprehensive when boarding. I reminded him that he didn't have to fly if he didn't want to, but he said he was ok and hopped in.

Departure went fine, but after a couple of rapid fire vectors from ATC, he asked if we could land, so we returned. I was impressed that he verbalized that request.

The intercom isolate switch was very useful, and a big shout out to mom for running crowd control from the back seat.

Maybe next year I'll get him in the right seat.

My 3yo logged his first 0.4 today. :rockon:

Overall, I think he did really well! My two big concerns were seat belt and headset, and he kept both on.

He was a little apprehensive when boarding. I reminded him that he didn't have to fly if he didn't want to, but he said he was ok and hopped in.

Departure went fine, but after a couple of rapid fire vectors from ATC, he asked if we could land, so we returned. I was impressed that he verbalized that request.

The intercom isolate switch was very useful, and a big shout out to mom for running crowd control from the back seat.

Maybe next year I'll get him in the right seat.

From what seat did he get the 0.4 in?

He was in the back. Do we need to start a "can you log it" thread? :)

We've been "preflighting" his 172 cockpit poster before bed, and he even yells "clear!". Someone's getting toy compasses and gyroscopes for Christmas...

Dunno if he'll be in the right seat any time soon, too much gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.

He was in the back. Do we need to start a "can you log it" thread? :)

We've been "preflighting" his 172 cockpit poster before bed, and he even yells "clear!". Someone's getting toy compasses and gyroscopes for Christmas...

Dunno if he'll be in the right seat any time soon, too much gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.

So how did he get 0.4?

My daughter has time at the controls but since I'm not a CFI she can't log it

I was being facetious, he didn't log the time.

Go get him his medical before he could come up with a disqualifying condition - under PBOR-II get a medical now, and he will then be set for life.

My son has been flying with me for all of his life. When he was little I would put him in the back of my student's 172 while she was learning to fly. Buy the time he was 7 we started putting some time in his log book. It was funny to have a 7 year old talking on the radio and sounding more professional than most of the older students flying, but he still had a 7 year old voice.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

A year ticked by and I took my now 4yo up again yesterday. This time, he was not apprehensive while boarding. We flew for about an hour. He started to get fidgety towards the end but overall he did pretty well.

[ Editor's note - It's funny to revisit this thread- as of this writing, I have a 10yo and a 5yo, and both fly with me in my own plane instead of rentals. Time flies like a banana... ]

After many years of "someday...", I checked another item off the bucket list yesterday and took my dad to Tangier Island.

It was already pretty warm when we got in the air at around 10. Had to leave a few gallons of gas behind. There was a slight breeze from the south, so we departed 18. A bit of flaps helped us break ground, and, as expected, climb rates were anemic, but we made it over the trees. Not bad for a 70 year old plane close to max gross. At 3400', it was a comfortable 75 degrees, as he watched the eastern shore slip by below us, mesmerized.

An hour later, we landed. I'd never been to TGI on a weekday and was surprised to see not only other planes there, but also a packed restaurant. We managed to get a table before a boatload of tourists arrived and made a line out the door. The food came out quickly; my crabcake was good, but dad's softshell was piping hot and delicious.

Back