Yet another "best" airplane question, but

Wow... thank you all for the suggestions. I am leaning towards the C182 since it will be more familiar considering i've been training on the C172. Though i am a bit concerned about the constant speed prop since i've never worked one. Hate to sound like a complete beginner, but since i am, i will ask anyway: Is there some sort of overview on how to use a constant speed prop?

Someone also mentioned the possibility of partnering with someone. that sounds like a great idea, but where would i go about finding this mystery pilot near my home base?

Prop control is easy. In the beginning: Full in for take-off and landing, dial it back to 2500 (or so, check POH) for cruise-climb and cruise at 1000 AGL. That's about it. There's fancy things you can do, but that'll cover the basics while you get used to the rest of the airplane.

The more difficult control, surprisingly, is the cowl flaps. The 182 requires a lot more engine management due to the six cylinders over the 172. The carb'ed ones, especially can have hot and cold spots, so managing cowl flaps, leaning, speed, etc. is actually the biggest extra workload in a 182 over a 172.

And at as few hours as you have, just ignore all the folding leg suggestions. The insurance would be unbearably high for a while yet.

And at as few hours as you have, just ignore all the folding leg suggestions. The insurance would be unbearably high for a while yet.

I wouldn't ignore ALL retract options. Just realize that they do carry a higher insurance penalties than fixed gear for some lower time pilots. When I got into the partnership our insurance only went up about $300, and the rest of it split 4 ways is very bearable. I had just south of 90 hrs when I got in. As I said before, I think I was very fortunate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't ignore ALL retract options. Just realize that they do carry a higher insurance penalties than fixed gear for some lower time pilots. When I got into the partnership our insurance only went up about $300, and the rest of it split 4 ways is very bearable. I had just south of 90 hrs when I got in. As I said before, I think I was very fortunate.

... I tend to think one should decide if they want retract or not... I suspect it's more difficult to transition to Complex after 800 hrs in straight leg than 75... Fewer built in habits at 75, but that's just my suspicion.

... I tend to think one should decide if they want retract or not... I suspect it's more difficult to transition to Complex after 800 hrs in straight leg than 75... Fewer built in habits at 75, but that's just my suspicion.

I wouldn't doubt that. I got my endorsement around 200 hours, so that was a reasonable time to build good habits. No close calls yet...knock on wood. But I have forgotten to suck the gear in until pattern altitude a couple times. I know why, too...My GUMPS check inbound is burned in, but I'm sloppy about such checks on take-off. Must fix that. That's definitely a fixed-gear trainer oops, as the trainer has nothing to do after take-off: no prop, no flaps, no gear, no cowl flaps.

I was basing my advice on his budget, actually. With partners, I can see it work, but if you're working with $75,000, the extra hit for retract insurance plus the added MX for the gear would wind that budget down significantly. I'm sure right now is the right time to get complex experience, but maybe it's best to do with with a rental and a club and not on your own airplane. ;)

........ Is there some sort of overview on how to use a constant speed prop?

Keep the Prop on Top. it'll make sense when you look into it a little more. Don't shy away from one because you think it's going to be complicated to learn. It isn't. Little more money to buy and maintain though.

Also consider that the low end of the high performance single engine is now fixed legged. If forming complex habits early is an issue, then one might think that if your future has a say a TBM or Pilatus or professional pilot in it, flying retracts early may make sense. If a Cirrus or an RV10 is more likely, the retracts may be yesterday's news.

Re CS prop - no worries, piece of cake.

My 2 cents...

If you are learning in and flying a 172, a 182 may meet your intermediate needs. If you intend to pretty much stay local, then it would be fine even though you may have an occasional trip that is longer. Familiarity will be a good thing, and the 182 is very similar to the 172 with some obvious exceptions. Prop control is no biggie, just learn the numbers. You'll save on insurance due to fixed gear.

Like those learning in Archers, Warriors etc., a Dakota or similar (28-235/236) is a good upgrade option for a first plane being flown by a student pilot.

BTW, those commenting about finding the right partners is good advice. I never thought I would be able to afford the plane we just bought. I lucked out and found right partners and the right plane. The right partners makes it all more affordable, both from the initial cost and monthly, and the plane will fly more which will keep the engine in better health (assuming its flown correctly)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Something "practical", but still fast.

Is there where I re-insert the advice to buy for most of the time and rent when needed?

If you want fun fast two-place riding... Vans -6, -7, -9 nose or tailwheel, available in your price range.

When you "need" to load up go with a rental.

I'm in a club with a couple of "bigger" planes that I fly every month or two but most of my flying is in my RV.

If I had the courage to calculate it I think I'm getting "value" from riding the line :)

I would buy a plane that fits your new pilot abilities. Piper 140, 160, 180 or Cessna 172 are good safe planes that would help you grow as a pilot. In a year or so sell it and move up to a bigger faster plane that matches your abilities as a pilot.

Ok, that's terrible advice. And that's my "expert" opinion ;-)

My first plane as a low time pilot is my Mooney M20C and it fit's your mission almost exactly. 1015lbs. useful load, with a comfortable 500nm range.

Not so much, I flew a C208B a U206 before the PC12, no biggie.

Also consider that the low end of the high performance single engine is now fixed legged. If forming complex habits early is an issue, then one might think that if your future has a say a TBM or Pilatus or professional pilot in it, flying retracts early may make sense. If a Cirrus or an RV10 is more likely, the retracts may be yesterday's news.

Re CS prop - no worries, piece of cake.

A CS prop is harder than swinging your gear, put it up after take off, lower before landing, not rocket surgery.

A CS prop is like a manual transmission, still not that big of a deal, after a couple flights you'll be safe, after 20hrs you should be able to make it really work for you.

I disagree with the advice to buy something for local and rent for a cross country.
1. You don't want to be flying a strange airplane on a cross country, this is where you want a plane you know well.
2. Renting for cross country trips is expensive, you will be charge per day whether you are flying or not.
3. Renting will pressure you to have the plane back at a certain time,day: having the freedom to fly when you want to will be safer.

Back