Yet anothe AFSS Issue...

AWACSEng

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Bill
Today after I landed, I attempted to cal FSS via cell phone to close my flight plan. My phone is a 405 area code and I am in a 907 area code. I received the message that the number I dialed could not be reached from my calling area. I checked and rechecked to make sure I dialed the correct number and I had. I was under the impression that the 1800wxbrief number could be dialed from anywhere with any phone. Anyone else ran into this?

Nope, but it could indicate a temporary problem with your carrier or the phone provider for AFSS.

Don't think it's the phone. What's weird about the phone is even though it's from an out of state area code, i can dial local numbers without an area code. When I got home, I called FSS via land line and had no problems.

Last edited:
Sounds as if the local cell company has a provisioning problem in their database. Lots of luck getting it fixed.

I run into those every once and a while. The helpless desk will not have a clue what you are talking about and will not know how to write up. It may never get to a tech that actually knows the engineer that can fix it.

Just curious did you dial 1-800..... or just 800?

1-800. Hmmm, maybe I should try without the 1.

EDIT: Same result. Eh, guess another reason to buy a handheld. I just renewed my contract with the out of state number, too. Oh well.

Last edited:
As it turns out there is an alternate phone number listed for the Kenai FSS. Works just fine and is the same automated menu as if I dialed 1800wxbrief.

Back