Yesterdays Flight...

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Had an Awesome Flight with a Pilot friend of mine yesterday. We both rented a Cessna 172 (his was an N Model, mine was an E Model). Our plan was to just fly around the local area, but at about 10am yesterday, he called asking if it would be alright if we headed up to 66R (Wells), to visit his Sister. So, We made our Flight Plans and he met me at BYY, we then took off and set course for 66R. We climbed through the bumps and leveled off at 4,500ft. The air down low was a little bumpy, but at 4,500ft it was smooth flying all the way to 66R.

Once we got near 66R, I looked to my 12'o'clock and saw the sky filled with Vultures. I knew in the distance I had, I could not climb above them. I also know that when frightened, they dive away. So I was just hoping that the ones above me would stay put. I was at 4,500ft and a long way from home, I did not want to have a bird strike. I lucked out though and it was an uneventful flight, and both me, and my Friend made a safe landing at 66R.

We then had his Sister meet us at the Airport, to pick us up. We then drove over to an all girl dorm area where we hung out for a while.

At about 6pm, we were back in the Planes, ready for take off at 66R. We flew right over the campus as we headed for LBX. This was my favorite leg of the Flight, as we climbed up to 5,500ft. We had an awesome view, one that I wont forget for a long time to come. long Cross Country flights, and flying at higher Altitudes are my favorite things to do in Aviation, so I was taking in the view.

The plan was for me to follow my friend back to LBX (his homebase), make a touch and go, then depart back to BYY (my homebase). The sun was setting a bit faster than I would have liked, so I made the decision to divert to BYY when at 10NM out from LBX. Good thing I did, because I was just getting down as the sun was starting to set.

I'm working on a vid right now, and I'll post it when it's done. For now, these pics will have to do.

FlyingwithAustin002.jpg

FlyingwithAustin003.jpg

FlyingwithAustin012.jpg

FlyingwithAustin011.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43TIpdeqeY

Last edited:
Friggin' vultures are a definite menace.

Friggin' vultures are a definite menace.
You do have to be careful around them, but when you're looking for "blue" thermals in a glider they are a welcome sight. They don't seem to mind gaggling either, whereas hawks can get a little possessive when they're working a thermal.

All girls dorm area, eh? You're organizing the next fly in. ;-)

What's the tabs sticking down from the wings? The left one, even in its reflection, seems to have goop or something trailing from the back side. Looks like the same tab is on the left and right wing. Bomb racks? LOL

All girls dorm area, eh? You're organizing the next fly in. ;-)

What's the tabs sticking down from the wings? The left one, even in its reflection, seems to have goop or something trailing from the back side. Looks like the same tab is on the left and right wing. Bomb racks? LOL

It was a Bible College, so I'm sure there are planty of Preachers daughters running around the Campus.

Those tabs are the door stops. The one of the right side is broke. You must remember, the 172 I fly, is an E Model made in 1964. lol

That right there is an excellent use of GA :thumbsup:

Excuse me Mr. High and mighty, Have I ever disparaged your former occupation.:D

Eh never mind what I said aboveB)

Hey, I hear Preachers Daughters are pretty wild...

Nice video Dustin. What kind of camera did you use and did you have it attached to the brim of your cap?

It's a Kodak M530.

I was holding it in my right hand. I need to find a better way to do film while flying, so I can get take off and landing vids while flying solo.

I really like that last picture, by the way.

Thanks. I like it too, It was way better in person though. lol

Back