Yes you CAN (change instructor)!!!

MCube78

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MCube78
Dear fellow aviators, here is my little contribution to the community. It's a small (and trite?) issue, but it brought me back from no-flying-land..:

So, after a couple years away from flying -- due to expat-ting -- I found a new home in the US and got back to that IFR ticket I dropped half a way to go across the atlantic. Can't even begin to tell you how much I missed flying and the amount of couch and e-flying I had done in the meanwhile.. (but you guys already know if you are here ;) )

Started well, but 2 lessons into it my instructor just wouldn't listen to me, wouldn't listen to how I learned, it was pretty much like military camp. I had no space to understand anything, just had to do what he said (but if I don't understand I just forget..!!) I tried explaining my needs, but it was just his way or the highway. I just wasn't learning. Now, I pride myself of being an excellent private, but gosh the C172's cabin is pretty small, can't even begin to tell you how much smaller it became and how stressed I was at every lesson, at every knob twist, at every word on the radio, at every single thing. As if IFR doesn't already give you enough stuff to juggle..!!!

Was it me? Am I just not cut for this? Am I not understanding his (brilliant) lessons? Is it him? How do I know? I mean the guy has a CFII and plenty experience, who am I with 160+ hours and a PPL to judge??

Eventually I started cancelling lessons, making up excuses, and one week, and another, and I was just not flying anymore.

Just around the same time, a friend of mine, a pilot with some million logged hour, was in the area, and we went flying together. We had an instructor on board (a different one), since I never flew the 182, and he is unfamiliar with the region.

He asked about my instrument ticket and I fessed up I had 'lost it,' and explained why. He didn't say a word, and didn't waste a single second. At the end of the flight he took the (new) instructor on the side and told him I needed a new IFR instructor, could he pick me up? I felt terrible saying I had a problem with my instructor, but, turns out, I'm not the first! (Although in all fairness, many students have gotten their ticket with that instructor, so..)

One week later I was back into it, and several months later, I twist knobs, work the radio and shoot approaches like there is no tomorrow -- and can't get enough of it. I told my friend about the progress, all he said was "I've seen that movie a thousand times before".

MORAL OF THE STORY:
IT'S OK, YOU CAN CHANGE. Students learn differently, and instructors teach differently. If it's not a match, find another one. It's not your fault. No hard feelings. Sometimes it just happens. But above all, don't let crap like this interfere with your passion!

I hope this may help any lost soul out there,

cheers

MCube

My learning style requires a more structured environment for ground (not in the airplane) and not memorizing the Q&A. So altho I passed the IR written, it's been more than 2 years so I'm taking the IR/COM ground at a local college. First day the instructor asks each of us 1) what are we flying, out of which airport/flight school , 2) how many hours 3) longest XC trip (most of the students don't even have the PPL yet) and 4) what are our goals.

1) My airplane's in the hangar at FTG but the engine's getting overhauled
2) getting close to 800
3) 10.5 hours in one day to SoCal (but with 2 pilots trading off and a 3rd pilot in the back as flight attendant and referee)
4) full-time, professional CFI because I'm sick of the beginners who are time-builders, don't know how to teach, don't know much else than what's on the written exams

I figure I need a year of apprenticeship to a really good CFI, starting next spring. To me, this is the real failing of CFI-land - newbies are turned loose with little or no evaluation if they can teach or not.

It's the same as new PhD faculty. Last week they were students, this week it's assumed they know how to plan lessons, develop exams, teach, etc...All by magic or something.

I agree, there should be more support for teaching how to teach (though personal style is a real big thing..). Ironically, my first instructor was somewhere in his early 60s I would guess, while the second one is a young time-builder..!

It's the same as new PhD faculty. Last week they were students, this week it's assumed they know how to plan lessons, develop exams, teach, etc...All by magic or something.

So funny you say this, as a new PhD faculty, I couldn't agree more! Luckily I have a good "intuition" for it, but if it weren't for that, many students would have suffered a lot!

Cheers

MCube

Oh my gosh. This really is similar to some issues I went through. Though I did try to find other instructors (and even took a few lessons).

I tried to talk myself out of really leaving, that it would cost too much. 92 hours later, I highly doubt it would have.

If others can learn from us, that will be good. Do not be afraid to switch instructors....

So funny you say this, as a new PhD faculty, I couldn't agree more! Luckily I have a good "intuition" for it, but if it weren't for that, many students would have suffered a lot!
Amen. When I was teaching at the university, the only faculty trained and certified to teach were in the Aviation and Education programs. And our students definitely noticed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back