Yes on 18m. Regular Issuance?

F

FrequentFlyer

Is it possible to have been diagnosed with a disorder and still obtain a regular issuance? Could a HIMS Psych eval decide you are “good to go”.

I realize this situation depends on a lot of factors. Anyone out there diagnosed with a disorder and now on a regular issuance? Would love to hear your story.

Generally not. Much more likely “Special Issuance”. Psychiatry is not like that.

It’s possible but depends on the disorder and course!

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Only one occurrence, meds less than 1 month, treated by psychologist and treatment summary stated complete remission. After an initial deferral and HIMS psychiatrist eval (no neuropsych)… regular issuance the past 3 times. No SI but an initial deferral. So as Dr B said, it just depends on the case and how good your AME is. Airline pilot, 1st class medical.

That would be nearly all alcoholics and drug users prior to 2021.

There are thousands...

So here’s the deal. It ain’t the condition so much as does the FAA believe the associated safety risk has been mitigated to the point FAA involvement is moot?

Doctors, bless their hearts, are always worried about your health... Well, the FAA doesn’t even use normal medical standards for much of this, they don’t care about your health, only their liability with respect to saying you’re not a hazard to the public. THAT is why I keep harping that an airman should consult a lawyer IN CONJUNCTION with an AME.

Last edited:
Anyone out there diagnosed with a disorder and now on a regular issuance? Would love to hear your story.

I was diagnosed with depression, then got a regular issuance, but my depression was associated with a severe physical condition and was temporary. Basically, it wasn’t actually a mental disorder so much as a reaction to a serious physical injury that was eventually resolved. My understanding is that to get a regular issuance it pretty much has to be something like that. Can’t be any chronic primary psychiatric disorder.

Well, HIMSPROGRAM.com specifically refers to “alcoholism” as a primary chronic mental disorder, and there is an FAR specifically outlining a path to an unrestricted 1st class medical.

If anyone doesn’t think the docs in the FAA don’t take these requests directly to the lawyers and ask, “what do ya want us to do?”...

I was diagnosed with depression, then got a regular issuance, but my depression was associated with a severe physical condition and was temporary. Basically, it wasn’t actually a mental disorder so much as a reaction to a serious physical injury that was eventually resolved. My understanding is that to get a regular issuance it pretty much has to be something like that. Can’t be any chronic primary psychiatric disorder.

Was your dx Adjustment Disorder (possibly with depressed mood) or minor depression? 1 adjustment disorder dx or minor depression that is declared resolved can be regular issue.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/table/

Are you Special or Regular Issuance?

it was deferred and then OKC did a regular issuance after review. I spent a year getting better, proving I was better, and waiting for the FAA final approval. Lucky I had a good LTD plan

Started as adjustment disorder, went untreated because “I didn’t have a problem”, then diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, finally got help and got better. No depression diagnosis.
The FAA’s draconian view on mental health has pushed many pilots down this road and I’m sure will continue to do so. How many people have ignored a problem fearing their medical, only causing it to get worse? I know personally that fear of the FAA caused me to not seek help when I needed it. Thankfully I finally decided that my mental health was more important than flying and did so, but I wish I had done so substantially earlier. I’m sure it would have saved me some pain and suffering.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back