YES! Got my signoff to take the Written Test!

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
I met up with my CFI this evening to take a practise test and I scored a 88%. My CFI signed my Logbook and wished me the best of luck!

Now I just have to call and schedule the test! :fcross:

What all should I bring in with me for the test? I know I'll need my E6B (electronic and mechanical), a calculator. What else?

I met up with my CFI this evening to take a practise test and I scored a 88%. My CFI signed my Logbook and wished me the best of luck!

Now I just have to call and schedule the test! :fcross:

What all should I bring in with me for the test? I know I'll need my E6B (electronic and mechanical), a calculator. What else?

Check the web page of the testing centers.. they'll tell you.
http://www.catstest.com/html/applicants/faa/private_pilot.html

Pencils, E6B, be prepaired to remove and reinstall the batteries. Leave your cell phone, iPod, earbuds, in the car. They will provide and collect all scrap paper for computations. They will provide all charts, etc needed, it's all in the "testing materials" that they provide.

Two forms of ID, Picture ID, (I think two forms of ID) and your logbook with the endorsement in it.

Good Luck:fcross:

Thanks!

So, would my Drivers License and Birth Certificate be fine, or are they looking for something else?

Thanks!

So, would my Drivers License and Birth Certificate be fine, or are they looking for something else?

I'd call ahead to the testing center.. but drivers license, yes.
Passport, birth certificate, and maybe your SSAN card.

I just took the test and all I needed was my drivers license, sign-off, calculator, E6B, and plotter. They provide everything else. (They want you to use the pencils they provide.) Also, make sure your ID has your current address.

I got a very good score and I attribute it to doing LOTS of practice tests. Do as many as you have time for. (Nothing wrong with getting an 88% however.) Good luck!

Last edited:
Also, make sure that the name on your drivers license exactly matches what you put on your IACRA 8710-1 when you fill it out for the checkride - apostrophes,hypens anything at all must be exactly the same. I had a glitch w/ my commercial because of an apostrophe on one form and not on the other.

I just took the test and all I needed was my drivers license, sign-off, calculator, E6B, and plotter. They provide everything else. (They want you to use the pencils they provide.) Also, make sure your ID has your current address.

Thanks!

Also, make sure that the name on your drivers license exactly matches what you put on your IACRA 8710-1 when you fill it out for the checkride - apostrophes,hypens anything at all must be exactly the same. I had a glitch w/ my commercial because of an apostrophe on one form and not on the other.

:rolleyes2:

I'd call ahead to the testing center.. but drivers license, yes.
Passport, birth certificate, and maybe your SSAN card.
Proof of citizenship is not required to take either the written or practical test. All you need is photographic proof of identity, e.g., driver's license, and your logbook endorsement for the test (if required -- not needed for CFI or ATP writtens). While a passport would do for that photo ID, so will a DL or state ID card (like state MVA's issue for nondrivers), but neither a birth certificate nor social security card will do (no photo). And they are legally prohibited from demanding your SSN.

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'm so freaking nervous and I have butterflies in my stomach and it's still the night before the test!

Yall have any tips (other than relax lol)?

The best test prep is a good night of sleep. Okay, so that didn't help much.

A test taking strategy which works for many folks is to go through the entire test answering the "easy" questions. Mostly the knowledge questions which you know you have nailed. Then go through and answer the questions which require a little thought but not much more. Write down the question number on the ones you say "oh darn" about. Save the flight planning/nav questions for last since the calcs tend to take more time.

After the first pass at answering all the questions, stop for five minutes (or so) and think about just about anything else, like maybe your last flight. Now go back through the "oh darn" questions. Now review the other knowledge questions remembering to read the entire question, not just what you think it says. If you have time, work through the rest of the questions again to check your arithmetic.

If you have the discipline to do that then you'll do quite well. You may do quite well anyway. I know you've done your homework on this one.

I have to get 0.5 more hours of instrument work in. We'll do that just before the checkride to make sure I'm good there.

Other than that, Just make sure I can do all the maneuvers by the PTS. My CFI seems to think I can have the Checkride by this time next month!

Back