Yearly physical & renew medical... GP vs AME

Shunpiker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Shunpiker
Hi guys and girls. I'm new to the board and relatively new to the cockpit. My name is John and I fly out of KTTA in beautiful North Carolina. I've been lurking here a while, and have found it a great resource... thank you. I look forward to the day when I have valuable knowledge and experience to share, too.

I now have a question about my upcoming re-medical and my yearly physical w/ my GP. Basically, is there anything that my GP or I need to do differently during my annual physical? I ultimately have to see the AME to renew the 3rd class medical, but should they somehow be involved w/ my annual physical, too? BTW, I have just begun the online medical process (medXpress). Thanks in advance and any feedback will be appreciated.

I think most folks will advise keeping your primary care physician and your AME at arm's length from each other. If your PCP tells you something which you think might affect your flying, get some advice from someone who knows aviation medicine (like the AOPA Medical Help Desk or Dr. Bruce Chien here on this forum) before you share it with your AME. The biggest reason for this is you can put yourself in a deep hole by telling your AME something which might disqualify you for an FAA medical certificate when you could have either:
  • Grounded yourself until the problem went away, or
  • Been prepared with all the paperwork for issuance with that condition, or
  • Chosen to stop flying where a medical is required and either go to ballons, gliders, or Light Sport operations if the condition is disqualifying for a medical certificate but still allows safe flying within those categories.

Some pointers that help lots of folks in your situation:

1) Once you complete the online MedXpress form, save or print the summary as a PDF. Saving the PDF file keeps it for reference at next visit.

2) Cut off the reference number at the bottom of both pages that you printed out and keep that in your pocket until the AME completes the exam and says you pass and will be issued your certificate right now. If he says there is a problem, do not hand him the confirmation code. (see below for why)

3) If the AME refuses to do the exam without having the code, vote with your feet and consider finding a different AME. Nothing requires you to hand this over before the exam. (see below for why)

4) Do not go into your exam unless you know with greater than 100% confidence that you are going to pass and do not have any health gremlins lurking about (high blood pressure, cardiac issues, high blood sugars, past alcohol issues such as DUI, etc).

Once the form and the exam is "LIVE", the AME and the FAA can only approve or deny, there is no middle ground. They may set up a very short deferral period to permit gathering of records, but this still is setting up the approval or denial decision. And you do not want to get denied.

5) Again, don't surrender the confirmation code given to you by MedXpress and printed at the bottom of the PDF and go "LIVE" until the AME says he will issue the certificate. Retaining the code in your pocket or wallet keeps the office visit in "consultation stage", which is not reported to the FAA. So if something is discovered, you have a change to handle it and return at a later date.

6) If you ef up and hand over the code, and a surprise show stopper is found, you risk getting denied lose any chance of flying as pilot in command.

Again, only go in when you are 100% confident that you'll pass. Don't hand over the code until the AME confirms you have passed. And don't eat the fish. Good Luck! We are all counting on you.

Last edited:
I use my GP for annual phys to make sure everything is fine.I keep the ame and GP away from each other.too much info is not always a good thing with the FAA just a thought.

Just give yourself the exam first!?

It's what ive always done, print up the eye chart, do the online color test, look up the tolerances for vitals, check any conditions or meds, there's a AME guide online, google it. Maybe have your glucose checked for free at the supermarket (don't give a name, non of their business).

Pass all that and when the AME checks all the same stuff nothing should be a surprise

Yearly physical & renew medical... GP vs AME

Maybe have your glucose checked for free at the supermarket

This I advise against. To many variables and to easy to get a incorrect result.

When it comes to blood glucose levels and any issues that go with that, stick with your primary doc and a proper blood draw from an accredited lab.

A single finger tip stick at the megamart isn't going to provide the correct information. But the $30 Bayer home A1c kit might.

Re: Yearly physical & renew medical... GP vs AME

This I advise against. To many variables and to easy to get a incorrect result.

When it comes to blood glucose levels and any issues that go with that, stick with your primary doc and a proper blood draw from an accredited lab.

A single finger tip stick at the megamart isn't going to provide the correct information. But the $30 Bayer home A1c kit might.

We used the single finger stick with EMS

Hi guys and girls. I'm new to the board and relatively new to the cockpit. My name is John and I fly out of KTTA in beautiful North Carolina. I've been lurking here a while, and have found it a great resource... thank you. I look forward to the day when I have valuable knowledge and experience to share, too.

I now have a question about my upcoming re-medical and my yearly physical w/ my GP. Basically, is there anything that my GP or I need to do differently during my annual physical? I ultimately have to see the AME to renew the 3rd class medical, but should they somehow be involved w/ my annual physical, too? BTW, I have just begun the online medical process (medXpress). Thanks in advance and any feedback will be appreciated.

Do people still get yearly physicals? I'm 61 and I can count the number of physicals I've had on one hand. Including my time in the Army.

Do people still get yearly physicals? I'm 61 and I can count the number of physicals I've had on one hand. Including my time in the Army.

Dad did that. He died of a massive stroke at 61. Not kidding, the docs say it was probably untreated hypertension and a single pill per day could have probably given him 20 more years.

Go a *little* more often, please. :)

My insurance wants one every year.

My old man didn't believe in physicals or going to the doctor either. "Never been sick a day of my life." That worked right up until the day he passed out in an FBO men's room. And it went downhill from there - way downhill. Down, down, down. It was a relief when he finally died.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Thanks for all the replies... that's the kind of info I was looking for. I'm lucky that I don't have any serious medical concerns (yet), but I still want to play it safe/educated. Thanks again.

:) Appreciated the chuckle here, too:
And don't eat the fish. Good Luck! We are all counting on you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back