Year in Review (2005)

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Thought we could all share our experiences here.
My year in review:

January: I bought my Mooney. Insurance requirements had me flying with an instructor again. Had to do 10 dual, then 10 solo. Thise seemed to take forever because i had so many friends who wanted to go for a ride, and I really wanted to show off my new plane. All in all the 20 hours took me about 2 and a half weeks.

Febuary: Flew out to Lancaster and met Diana. This was her first mooney ride, and i was still a newbie mooney driver. The plan was to goto PRB and meet Richard. Although we never made it because of weather, we did meet some interesting folks at Buttonwillow, and Bakersfield. I learned a few new things about scud running, weather, and RC Planes.

March: I met my Girlfriend April. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful woman. she loves to fly and even more, tollerates my enthusiasim for flying. On our first date i took her flying :yes:.

April: My first flight into LA Airspace with the mooney. Went to Long Beach, CA to pick up my Daughter for her spring break. She thought it would be cool to tell her friends she was traveling to Lake havasu for spring break in a private charterd plane.

May: April and I took a few trips together. Our first biggie was to Santa Maria. Her first look at Californias central coast. A week later we headed upto Salt Lake City to meet up with a good friend of mine. Both trips were great.

June: Gastons. What a flight. Mark flew down to meet me and fly to gastons with me. I picked him up in Vegas, and the fun journey began. The plan was to fly direct to ABQ and pick up Nick. Although we ran into weather, that pushed us as far south as phoenix, then back north to Showlow. We decided we had enough of zigzaggin Arizona, and called it a day at Showlow. The next morning at 6am we were off and on our way again. An hour later, we made it to ABQ where we picked up Nick and proceeded to Gastons. Nick flew most of the way, and Mark and I constantly harrassed him about any small deviations in altitude or heading. Poor Nick, he was a good sport though. We Landed in Arkansas in the afternoon, dripping sweat from that insane humidity. Had a blast that weekend, Met too many great people to mention here. Sunday morning, and it was time to head back. The day didnt start off well, on my takeoff roll out of Gastons, I managed to miss the trees, but it wasnt pretty. The visibillity was just barley VFR. and not the kind of VFR i am used to. We headed back to JEF to drop mark off. however, the trip to JEF proved to be hairy. The visibillity was so bad, i ended up on instruments and after landing, decided i would leave my plane and fly home commercial. A week Later i went back to JEF and retrived my baby :)

July: Again, I took April up to central californias coast. We ended up in Monterey where she swears she sawa famous football player get into a jet. (that same jet aborted their takeoff roll) Nice day walking the fishermans warf.

Aug: Another trip out to Long Beach to pick my Daughter up for another week with dad. That airport is CRAZY.

September: Diana was out in Lancaster again, so we decided to give it another try at meeting richard. This time we made it. We picked up Richard, then flew north to meet up with AirBaker. Had lunch and then headed back. When we landed in paso Robles, Richard showed us his beautiful warbird, and gave Diana and me some great parting gifts! Thanks Rich! (I love that wall chart)

October: My first trip to Mexico. Almost got thrown in a mexican jail, but had a blast.
Most memorable flight to goodyear airport in phoenix to drop off a friends daughter. This was a very dark night flight accorss the mountanous terrain of central Arizona. I did learn how hard it is to judge clouds at night.

November: A series of small hops to Bullhead. no long XCs here.

December: I got to meet Elizebeth in Vegas. She was a super nice person. We flew around lake mead for an hour then headed back to New York New York for drinks. Another friend of mine was in vegas, and we met up, and proceeded to dance the night away at a local club.

All in All a great year for flying. I look forward to new ratings in 2006 as well as meeting all of you again at Gastons. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jan - April: Just short lunch hops building familiarization with the plane (bought into in Nov/04).

May: Flew to Norfolk, VA (first major XC in plane) to meet our first grandchild (granddaughter).

June: 2nd year to Gaston's, where I took significant ribbing over being chicken to fly into the grass strip - next year!

July & August: Really major XC from DPA to Gander Newfoundland - 17 hours each way

September: flew my first LifeLine flight

Unfortunately due to new job I've been up once since. Also why I am never on this board much anymore.

Jan. - Dru (my wife), Dave and I flew (in Dave’s warrior) to Elmira NY (KELM) to go through the air museum.

Mar. - I was working in Yorkhaven PA and I meet up with Dave and we flew down to Carroll county (KDMW) for dinner. I once again left a pair of sunglasses at the restaurant I love giving my glasses away.

Apr. - I flew back from Ocean City Airport (26N) after talking to my now partner about becoming a partner in a 172, I was on cloud nine.

May. - I flew with my partner on an angel flight from Tangier Island (KTGI) to Accomack Co. (KMFV). After the first leg of the angel flight I flew from Accomack Co to Salisbury MD for lunch. We returned to Accomack Co to complete the angel flight back to Tangier Island. I flew and uneventful flight back to Brandywine.

Aug. - BFR

Sept. - Flew out to Reading (KRED) for lunch and found out the restaurant was closed (sun). We did find out that the GS was sticking (the real joys of being an owner). We turned around and headed to Chester County (40N) for lunch then home.

Well I guess I need to say this one. I picked up a friend that never flew in a little plane before to get lunch at Chester County (40N) and as I was entering the information in to the GPS I entered (N40) Sky Manor well I guess I was looking for planes just a little to hard and not the compass, lesson learned. I guess my lock was not on my side that day because both airports are 29nm away from Wings field (KLOM) in the opposite direction tho. Feel dumb, but will never do that again.

Oct. - Dru and I flew to Blairstown (1N7) for lunch with that gang on POA and AOPA. The line for a table was long but I think we all had a great time, Dru and I did. My landing was not the greatest and as wives always do she let me know by trying to ordering a three bounce pancakesJ Note: I did make the first turn off.

Dec. - This is going to be a long month.

I took a flight with my partner to get in some hood work had a great time and did well so I think. We flew to Lancaster (KLNS) and had lunch. On our return back (at night) my partner asked me to take my hood off to help him look for the runway, thinking to myself that strange he has been flying in and out of this airport a lot longer then I have. So I did and also could not see the airport. We were keying up the mic to get the lights on with no luck. We did find it but no lights, a plane landed and he told us he was going to call the manager to see if they can fix the problem. We flew to Chester Co and waited about 30 min. On our return flight I let my partner fly because he has landed at the airport once with out lights and I didn’t want to try. You can see the airport clear on final with out lights but I just did think I could do it. Well as we were lined up to land we found our self to high so we just flew over and as we did the lights came on. We landed.

Here is a great reason to have an airplane; I had a job to do in Newport News VA (KPHF) 6.5 hr drive one way for a 30 min job. So I flew to Newport News 2 hr flight with a tail wind. Great people at Mercury air center came out to secure my plane asked me if I needed anything, returned my car when I returned, just all around nice people. Well I fix the problem and headed back to the airport but not before I stopped at Sonic for my wife (if anyone remembers my sonic post) she loved it little cold but nothing a microwave can’t fix. I had flight following on my way home they jockeyed me around a little to avoid landing traffic but all was well. Just above Dover I saw my first falling star as I was flying. At first I though it was a plane but soon realized it was just a falling star.

Just before my vacation out to AZ I took my first official IFR training flight with Ed G. help. After reading the Instrument Flying Handbook I have a log way to go but will complete it. So if Ed’s hair starts to turn gray you will all know why.

Happy New Year and Fly Safe everyone,
Bob

Jan:
Met up with a Taylorcraft and a Champ and did some fun flying over frozen Saginaw Bay on a cold January day. Felt like a fighter pilot that day. Was maybe 5' - 10' off the deck (the bay was frozen over) and split some trees like goalposts on an island in the bay.

Feb:
I got night current and the next day needed a ride back to the airport.
Also bet Bruce, Kent, Barry, and Kath in Morris, IL for brunch.

March:
Finally figured out why my plane was flying so slow, or actually, found out the tach was reading high and then realized I was flying at less than 65%percent power instead of 75% power. I also made a video later in the day. I got my new Denali ANR headsets, and did some quasi-instruction for a buddy. I also flew my 6 approaches and a hold plus the tracking to remain instrument current.

April:
Flew across lake Michigan in winter :eek: . Cloud tops were about 9800 and picked up some ice as I skimmed the tops that poked just above 10,000. It quickly sublimated off but I thought it was good to see what happened with the ASI when it got some ice in it. Met Bruce, Liz, Jean, Moxie, Barry and his wife for Brunch at Lakelawn.

May:
I had my new tachometer (digital) and engine monitor installed installed. I also have to cancel my trip out west for the first time. As a consolation prize I think I set the POA record for a hamburger run (cost and distance)and got to watch Adam Z almost burn down an entire FBO at the Wings Fly-B-Q. I did enjoy 160kt groundspeed on the way there. Stayed the night with Ed Guthrie and set foot in New Jersey, and Delaware for the first time. Also met Chris (Iceman) and had my first backseat passenger when his girlfriend flew with us up to Lake City where I ran into Gary Miesch, met Lance Fisher and Barb Miller (OneShort) at a pancake fly in - my first.

June:
I had to scrub my trip out west again and I gave their first small plane rides to my grandmother (who was turning 80) and my brother (on his 18th birthday) instead. I gave grandma the smooth flight, and gave my brother a fun flight with some 0 G's coming out of the climbs. Then went to this little thing called Gaston's.

July:
Flew into a small grass strip (upper right corner, our cabin is lower left)that we are planning on reopening after the state closed it. Spend the 4th of July weekend doing some 4 wheeling at the cabin. Got stuck there for weather an extra day, and then did some serious scud running to get out of there. Picked up my IFR clearance and got home. Then I took a little trip out west. If you consider little being landing in 18 states in 12 days. Met David Hunt, saw Michael again, met Steve Link, and stayed with Bruce on the way home. 4500+ miles and about 900 pictures are on a CD. I'll bring some to Gaston's.

August:
Flew up and saw my aunt and uncle and also did my first Lifeline flight. Had dinner with Moxie, and then had a smooth flight home that night.

September:
Retained my instrument currency.

October:
Flew to Sandusky, MI for a lunch and met Steve P from here. Wandered around aimlessly on the way back. Flew up to Mio and had breakfast with Missa and a few other people from the Babes board.

November:
No Flying. Weather suuuuuuuucks in Michigan

December:
Did some takeoffs and landings, practiced some stalls and turns. Sent the plane in for annual inspection.

2005 saw me land in MI, IN, IL, PA, NJ, DE, WV, WI, IA, NE, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, NM, TX, OK, and KS. Logged 107.5 hours 88 takeoffs and landings and 97.7 XC hours.

Last edited:
January - March - After a full year of training for my PPL, started to get antsy about not being able to get the hang of steep turns and short field landings. In frustration, my flying started to get further and farther between until the end of March.

April - Got my private pilots license. Proceeded to fly all the time. Had my first runin with weather and being diverted to Santa Fe where I spent the night.

May - Finished my first semester of college with straight A's. Decided to take the summer off and dedicate it to flying and partying. Got my complex endorsement in a Piper Arrow.

June - Gastons! Great time, Michael pretty much detailed it as best as possible. First experience with Mooneys. Great planes!

July - Weathered out most of the month due to thunderstorms. Very little real flying. A few $100 hamburgers.

August - Started second semester of college, still in Aerospace Technologies Major (fancy name for Pilot). Test flew my future airplane for the first time. Also met my first girlfriend in over a year. It didn't last long.

October - Bought 1/7th share of my Cherokee 180. On my last rental flight ever, I wound up getting lost and almost flying into IMC. Wound up diverting to Las Vegas for the night with a friend. Not fun. Had to get checked out by a CFI, so I combined it with a BFR even though I didn't really need it. Celebrated the 2 year anniversary of my first flight in October also. Got a new girlfriend who was promptly promoted to be my new boss. Once again, that didn't last long.

November - Started my trek of 57 public use airports in New Mexico in 365 days. Also started working on my instrument rating. Flew out to Lake Havasu to get some video for a school project with Michael, in what would be the longest solo flight I've ever taken, including the lowest altitude I'd ever flown at solo as well.

December - not a whole lot. Continued my 57 in 365 trek.

Michael said:
Thought we could all share our experiences here.

I'm gonna do more of a "What did I accomplish" rather than month by month...

I started the year with:
125.4 TT, 92.7 PIC, 61.8 XC (50.7 PIC), 16.7 night, 37.7 instrument (7.8 actual), HP and Complex endorsements.
I ended with:
244.6 TT, 211.6 PIC, 113.9 XC (102.8 PIC), 50.0 night, 83.5 inst (8.8 act)

So, that means in 2005 I had 119.2 TT, 118.9 PIC, 52.1 XC (all PIC), 33.3 night, and 45.8 instrument (1.0 actual). Certainly my biggest flying year so far, since I nearly doubled my total time! (Started Feb. 03, PP-ASEL May 03)

But, there's a lot more to the flying than hours, right? I flew my longest cross country yet (859nm direct), KMSN to KEFD via Gaston's. Certainly a very fun and valuable learning experience!

I also got my first Multi time (Thanks Dr. Bruce, wherever you are), "flew" a sim for the first time (Frasca 141), and flew three types for the first time (Thanks to Ed G as well). I also got my first glass cockpit experience (2x in Frasca w/G1000 and one flight in a DA40 with G1000) and landed at a military field for the first time (Legally, FAA safety seminar at Volk Field ANGB, pre-registered civvies allowed). Airspace-wise, I flew into Class B for the first time (Houston), as well as the second through fifth times.

I flew from 34 airports in 10 states, 20 and 6 of which, respectively, were new to me. I also overflew a lot of new states but didn't land in them.

I flew with five CFI's (incl. two from this board), and I flew 19 passengers, 12 of whom had never flown GA before. (I love spreading the joy!) I assisted on my first Angel Flight - Time to send in the paperwork to become a Command Pilot!

Well i'm not going to bore everyone with month by month details but, in 2005 i got 32 hours in.some highlights are flew Young Eagle flights,started my Insturment training,some $100 hamburger flights,Met a bunch of people from POA,AOPA,CPA,Even went for my longest flight in a GA plane (Gatsons) with Ed G.,and even got to go on a Angel Flight with Ed G.
All in All ,i think i had a pertty good year,and Lots of fun. And I've already started my flying for 2006,brought the plane home from annual(where it was stuck due to snow)on Jan 1 ,hoping to get more hours and a IR rating this year,
Dave G

Well, some highlights anyway:

Family - 2005 ended with everyone either healthy or on the mend. Dad rang in the New Year with a (finally!) thumbs up from the doctor. Many blood clot issues which finally sorted themselves out.

My brother and his wife are expecting again, and my other brother is engaged, wedding date next August.

Flying - made very good progress despite my hectic schedule (nothing like flying several times in one month, only to not fly again for nearly two, and so on). We're doing long XCs dual and I've landed at a grass strip and one of the shortest strips in the local area (with trees to deal with, on top of it). The winter will be slow going but hopefully I can fly a few times a month and I'm going to talk to my CFI about getting my SODA taken care of this spring, if not winter. once we do the SODA I think things will move pretty quickly.

Travel - another good year. Big trips were to the Pacific Northwest (primarily Vancouver and Vancouver Island with a day in Seattle) and also New Zealand (which was a fabulous trip - met many 99s too). I met Dave Krall in Seattle who took me up and around the Cascades - a very beautiful part of the country! (thanks Dave - it was really nice meeting you!) I also flew up over Whistler (many glaciers!) with an instructor, and had my first float plane ride while in British Columbia - several actually, it's a major mode of transportation. Smaller trips included a few trips to NYC, Florida, Las Vegas (where I met Michael and April who make a very cute couple and are a lot of fun too), and Hilton Head where I am looking to buy a second home for investment and to spend some time in, too.

Home, work, everything else going very well. That's a brief sum-up of my year!

Hmm Good things:

1. Bought my own airplane
2. Got my commercial certificate
3. Company seems stable again and I got a pay raise (something that has not been happening a lot in my field lately)
4. Good vacations in Italy and in Belize
5. Side business (Scuba) was performing better than last year
6. Me and my spouse's heatlth is good and we are still happy and not bored with each other after 12 years of marriage and 16 years together.

Bad stuff
Mom has cancer again and it is not too good. Found out on the 23rd of December Merry F'ing Christmas to me and her :mad:. Kinda over shadows all the other good things.

The highlight for me in 2005 was moutnain flying in and around real mountains. I flew a few times with Eric Jensen over the Continental Divide, then flew with a CFI a few months later to Leadville (field elev. 9927') and Granby (8203'). Tremendous experience flying my Tiger through some of the biggest terrain in the U.S. I joined the Colorado Pilots Assoc. and took their Mountain Flying course which was excellent. I have a gret respect for the hazards of mountain flying and look forward to getting more experience in 2006.

Just some new highs & lows:

New High - Flew 17 Angel Flight missions
New Low - Flew only about 120 hrs, well under 140-150 avg past 5 yrs
New High - Met Ed Frederick during his stop in the Big SKy!
New Low - Cost of my annual this year!!

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Well, the numbers:
78 hours PIC, 8 hours actual instrument, 30 hours simulated instrument.
10 hours flying in New Zealand.

January - night currency. Not much happening in Chicago during the hard winter months!

February - None

March - Complex endorsement in Arrow III, Wings Phase 1, getting serious about instrument training.

April - Fly a friend (and owner of the airplane) up to Milwaukee for dinner. Aced the instrument knowledge test.

May - Hoodwork!

June - First Young Eagle! Unfortunately, she got sick, but luckily it was in a sick bag. She was still talking positively about it, though! More hoodwork. Flew to Minneapolis for a $1000 rib dinner:hairraise:.

July - Flew commercial to Richmond, then used a twin (C-310) for the 250NM instrument cross country -- Virginia to Chicago via First Flight, NC. Actual almost all the way, coming through the remnants of Hurricane Charlie.

August - BIG month. Flew a Harvard (North American T-6 Texan) in New Zealand.:D Got a New Zealand private pilot's certificate. About 10 hours flying a C-172 around the south island of New Zealand. First landing on a beach. Passenger in a glacier ski landing. Had lunch with Elizabeth Anderson in Christchurch. Fabulous! Pictures (finally) at http://www.prellwitz.org/pics/vacation/NZ.:yes:

September - Flew up to Mackinac Island for a get-together there with a bunch of pilots.:drink:

October - December - More hoodwork, simulator time. It's about time I got ready for the checkride!

Wishing you all a fantastic, healthy, and safe 2006!

Oooh! Can I play too?

Jan: my first aerobatics ride

Feb: my first flight to a Class B airport (Washington--Dulles), and first trip down the Hudson River Corridor

Mar: instrument training...

April: more instrument training...

May: got instrument rated! Used the new rating for Wings FBQ trip with Toby, and the "big trip" from Boston to Minneapolis (28 hours and over 2300 miles) Got to cross Lake Michigan and hang out with Ed Fred and Dr. Bruce along the way. Yes, May was quite the month...

June: my first encounter with really bad haze

July: my first landing on a grass field (Katama) for the beach party

August: moved to Alaska

September: started commercial training

October: more commercial training

November: more commercial training, and mountain flying

December: got to fly my sister over her house in Council Grove KS, and over the national park where she works...

I think I've flown about 130 hours this year.

--Kath

A year of some nice highs and some lows but like the weather it all came out just fine.

The highs
Yes us older pilots can go on to sport and yes we can fly with others on the right side.
work on a novel for the last 5 years now is at a publisher,maybe this year.
work on a novel on migratory birds (chidrens story) is in the final stages.
Yes got a nice raise.
Health is ok and getting bettter.

downs.
Long commute 140 miles round trip
no airplane to fly

other wise it is a nice year. Every day is a plus as one of my mentors would say. I am lucky to have enjoyed what I have

Happy new year

John

Michael: great idea! 2005 was certainly a great aviation year for me.

May - Logged my first flight as owner of my first plane - N1194J, a Commander 112A. It was a quick trip to visit my best friend before he left for a year in China for research. Second trip was to see my parents. And I'll be darned, but my mom guessed it that I bought a plane! She said what tipped her off was when I asked if both her and my dad could come pick me up at the airport. Moms. They sure do know their children :rolleyes:

October - Finally flew to Alabama to surprise the guy who got me hooked on flying. When he asked "When ya gotta be back to the FBO?" I grinned and said "Well, I've got a confession to make..." The look on his face was priceless! Got him good. Attached is a pic of him holding the bottle of "Old Fart" wine I gave him as a present.

November - Went to my first AOPA Expo, although I went on Airtran because the tix were incredibly cheap. Ended up kicking myself for not taking the Commander because the weather in Tampa was absolutely gorgeous. Oh well, at least while there I met the estimable Rev. Ron and Dr. Bruce, my virtual neighbor Lance F, Mike Andrews and Adam Z. It was a great time.

At Thanksgiving, I had a fantastic tailwind (see attached pic for proof you can get a 112 to 162 kts while straight and level :yes: ) and found that it made my typical trip to Jax only 15 minutes shorter. It was a real eye-opener about not having to pay up for a bigger, faster, more expensive plane. On the flip side, the headwind coming home after Christmas had me as low as 102 kts GS that made it a 2:30 trip instead of 2:00. Cuts both ways :) Still, it sure as heck beats the 6+ hour car trip!!!!

Happy New Year and good flyin' to all in 2006!

-Rich

P.S. Beth, I like your "lone wheel" avatar. Cool composition!

Attachments

• BruceOldFart.jpg
    BruceOldFart.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
  • GoodGS.jpg
    GoodGS.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 11
Rich - that was over a Glacier Lake in British Columbia - near Whistler! really stunning country up there. (if I could name a crayola crayon, mine would be Glacier Lake Blue. it really was that blue.)

here it is a little bigger:

jkel9s.jpg

Michael, FANTATIC idea!!! Well since I don't have much to say on a monthly basis I'll just hit on the highlights.

1) March got to meet Arnold Feldman and he went on my first flight in Actual from PNE to ILG shared a cup of coffie and made a new friend

2) May launched my now infamous and first annual Wings FlyBQ and Inferno. Where I got to meet Ed Frederick who flew in from Michigan,Toby, Kath, Gary, Bob, Ed G, Bob Bruneau, Shipoke and so many others. It was a great day .

3) Memorial Day weekend flew my Wife and daughter on my longest XC flight from Wings to KPVC Provincetown MA. A flight I have always dreamed of making. Flew it all in the system got a little Actual and just had an awsome time visiting family on the cape.

4) Right seated on some other fun flights in a twin to Boston and Martha's Vineyard. Experience a gear failure in a lance.

5) Flew many flights to KLNS and KUNV

6) Got to fly with Bob Brunea in his beautiful Archerto the fly In Toby planned at WWD, Had breakfast with some great folks.

7) Went to AOPA EXPO in Tampa with my good friend and pilot mentor, drooled over the static display and did some serious looking at the show. its amazing how much better the show is when you are really looking for something. I got to meet Rich Padua and see Ron Levy and share a beer with them.

8) Perhaps most exciting is that I and my friend are seriously considering partnering in a plane.

Let's see.

Jan through early August - flew about twice a month. It should be planned for 4x a month with weather causing 3x a month, but my wife was under the threat of losing her job at the end of September.

August-October - several XC's with friends/family including a photo mission to take a picture of the church camp that I worked at 20 years ago to be a gift to the retiring director. Completed WINGS Phase I.

November - December - after bad weather weekends in November plus a vacation, started instrument training

42.6 hours for the year - I'd like it to be closer to 75

February - checkout in Cherokee 180 (I'd been solely in Warriors until then) Also, flight with wife where she asked if I'd completed the "GRUMP" check yet.
March - Safety Pilot for a friend
April - almost got landed on by a plane calling the wrong runway in the pattern and landing the opposite way while I was on the takeoff roll
July - first time in Class B (even after private training)

In general, my skills have improved since getting my license in 2004, and I've started instrument training.

JAN, thru MAY
Flight lessons as always and mountain flying with beach landings practice on the beach at low tide
at Copalis beach with selected students. Some Little Eagles
flights and a Project Pilot instructor flight. Let my MCFI of 4+ years
lapse because even though all requirements were exceeded again,
it was just a bit too much drudgery of paperwork and still can't get motivated to draw up the records !

A flight student gets picked for fighter jet training after returning from Iraq !

JUNE
Lots of Alaska flying and filming for mountainflyingvideos.com with
the strangest being a flight of 2 way out into the lush
muskeg to film simultaneously at least 4 grizzlys (2 FULL grown and 2 cubs) AND over a dozen black bears living together uncaged, surrounding us and free roaming in the bush ! Very strange and totally contrary to nature, been going on for over 20 years but when the sow with 2 cubs appeared, we took off pronto !

Beach bar landings in under 400 feet.

SuperCub fly-in at Shearer airstrip in Idaho with about 20 Cubs showing off STOL, MCA and airwork stuff and cruising around to places like Big Creek Lodge for a great steak dinner grilled on the porch while waiting with my student for downdrafts to tame down over the threshhold just before an evening take off.

JULY
Got to meet Elizabeth at the BFI Museum of Flight and then flew around
in my backyard for awhile (The North Cascades) before she landed us nicely at BFI.

Annual EAA NW Fly-In at Arlington visits with little Eagles & Dad.

AUG, SEPT, OCT
Flight lessons as always and mountain flying with beach
landings practice on the sand at low tide
at Copalis with selected students.

NOV
Some wicked night X Wind landing practice (5) at BFI in a C150 with
student. Caravan and Beaver pilots whining on radio and Biz Jets reporting 53 knots on final @ 1500 MSL ! Less at ground level of course.

DEC
Lots of night MVFR flying in rain with broken clouds in December's darkness
above freezing ground fog sparkled with Christmas lights, twice with all
the northern constellations in full view !
Pushing 5000 LDGs total now.
Got my CFII re-upped for another 2 years with the FAA.

Last edited:
Back