YAK 52 or 53

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I'm thinking of buying another plane and would like a two place acro. Barnstormers have several YAK's listed at pretty enticing prices. Have any of you flown or own a YAK? I would like some input on them.

Dean said:
I'm thinking of buying another plane and would like a two place acro. Barnstormers have several YAK's listed at pretty enticing prices. Have any of you flown or own a YAK? I would like some input on them.

Never flown one but I'd consider a Nachang CJ-6 with the Yaks. Its a good parntership acro plane.

SF260 beats them all IMHO.

Anthony said:
Never flown one but I'd consider a Nachang CJ-6 with the Yaks. Its a good parntership acro plane.

SF260 beats them all IMHO.

I've flown both a Yak 52 and a CJ-6. The Yak is supposed to be more acro capable, but the CJ is pretty good and quite a bit faster in cruise. There are engine and prop upgrades that I believe to be very desireable if you are looking to get as much acro capability as possible. Both aircraft have a unusual systems with almost everything run by pneumatics including flaps, landing gear, and engine starting. One other thing I remember is that visibility from the rear seat is much worse in the Yak than the CJ.

Some info on the Yak-52

http://www.warbirdalley.com/yak52.htm

Many pilots who fly Yak-52's are members of

http://www.flyredstar.org/

The Yak-53 is a one of a kind variant of the -52.

http://www.nanchangaircraft.com/yak53.shtml

A collection of links related to Yak aircraft is located here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~yak52driver/

It's a matter of personal preference I suppose, but I have been told the CJ's are "better built" than Yaks. A trip to OSH or Sun n Fun may be worth the trip to talk to owners directly. I'd be glad to introduce you to a few if you can find me on the WB flightline. I'll stay with my 4-place aerobatic plane for now. :)

Steve said:
Some info on the Yak-52

http://www.warbirdalley.com/yak52.htm

Many pilots who fly Yak-52's are members of

http://www.flyredstar.org/

The Yak-53 is a one of a kind variant of the -52.

http://www.nanchangaircraft.com/yak53.shtml

A collection of links related to Yak aircraft is located here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~yak52driver/

It's a matter of personal preference I suppose, but I have been told the CJ's are "better built" than Yaks. A trip to OSH or Sun n Fun may be worth the trip to talk to owners directly. I'd be glad to introduce you to a few if you can find me on the WB flightline. I'll stay with my 4-place aerobatic plane for now. :)

I'll be at Oshkosh for the whole week, I'll keep an eye out for your IAR. How is the IAR priced compared to the YAK and CJ?

You'll find the IAR parked west of the T-6 area near the YAK/CJ/F-W line. If the Yaks and CJs do what they've done the past couple of years a majority of them will arrive en masse just in time to participate in the WB airshow and then leave each evening as a group. Not sure where they are staging out of. (maybe Kenosha?)

Right now IARs are running 1/2 to 1/3 of the asking price of those "other" eastern bloc aircraft. But I'm trying to promote them as much as possible to increase demand and run the price up! :) They are a much rarer commodity! :yes:

Ask for me in the -51 area, depending on the time of day we may be able to track down a current CJ/Yak owner and maybe even get him to talk about his plane.:rolleyes:

Dean said:
I'll be at Oshkosh for the whole week, I'll keep an eye out for your IAR. How is the IAR priced compared to the YAK and CJ?

Steve said:
If the Yaks and CJs do what they've done the past couple of years a majority of them will arrive en masse just in time to participate in the WB airshow and then leave each evening as a group. Not sure where they are staging out of. (maybe Kenosha?)
They stage out of Manitowoc. Ken Ibold and I flew into OSH with the group of Yaks and CJs in 2004.

I have about 6 hours in a CJ-6. If I remember correctly, the one I flew didn't have inverted systems and wasn't as versatile as the Yak that Terry's partner flew in their air show.

If all I wanted was to do acro, I would personally get a Pitts or a Decathlon, instead of a war bird.

Manitowoc would probably be a better venue to meet the owners, then, as the ones that fly formation don't hang around OSH for very long. There are a few on the field that aren't part of the "arrival" though.

Diana said:
They stage out of Manitowoc. Ken Ibold and I flew into OSH with the group of Yaks and CJs in 2004.

I have about 6 hours in a CJ-6. If I remember correctly, the one I flew didn't have inverted systems and wasn't as versatile as the Yak that Terry's partner flew in their air show.

If all I wanted was to do acro, I would personally get a Pitts or a Decathlon, instead of a war bird.

Diana said:

Both great planes, but don't have the cross country capabilities (Pitts) or coolness factor of the CJ or Yak.

Anthony said:
but don't have the cross country capabilities (Pitts) or coolness factor of the CJ or Yak.
Ohhh, the coolness factor. As far as I'm concerned, the Pitts is not only the coolest, but also the sexiest airplane out there.

Diana said:
Ohhh, the coolness factor. As far as I'm concerned, the Pitts is not only the coolest, but also the sexiest airplane out there.

Oh yeah the Pitts is absolutely sexy. But, warbirds, like the Yaks, CJ's or Marchettis are REALLY sexy. Just something about the ability to add win cannon. :)

Diana said:

First, I was under the impression that all Yak-52s and CJ-6s were "fully aerobatic" complete with inverted systems. I've flown inverted in a couple CJs and one Yak 52 and they were all capable of that. Personally I'd put the Yak 52 between a Pitts S2 and a Decathlon. The Yak has a faster roll rate than a Decathlon but it doesn't have teh ability to do vertical maneuvers without diving for speed which a Pitts can easily do. OTOH the Yak doesn't have a symmetrical airfoil.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
First, I was under the impression that all Yak-52s and CJ-6s were "fully aerobatic" complete with inverted systems. I've flown inverted in a couple CJs and one Yak 52 and they were all capable of that.
It's my understanding that the standard CJ-6 does not have inverted oil, but there is an option to add that in some cases.

"The CJ-6 doesn't have inverted oil so negative G requires me to plan to wash the airplane when I am done flying."

"The 400hp M14PF costs about $25K. Installation adds another $5K. An inverted fuel and oil system can be added if you want it. This transforms a CJ-6A into a Whole New Thing. Full-Tilt Boogie barely begins to describe it!"

"Because the CJ6A is so aerodynamically smooth, it can enter most aerobatics maneuvers with surprisingly low energy. This factor makes any planned maneuver very graceful and recovery from those unplanned maneuvers easily accomplished. She will Hammerhead as if you are guiding the reins on a dressage horse, loop with so little energy a first time aerobatics passenger will hardly notice the "g" load, but will pull six of those "g's" with very light pressure and turn inside of itself when you want it to. She has no inverted oil system, but then neither does the AT-6 at a price of several hundred K. If you want to travel cross-country upside-down, join the circus. The CJ, like most military trainers, will keep a normal person suspended upside-down for as long as is enjoyable."

I'll ask Terry about his CJ...I don't think it has the inverted oil.

All this talking about the Pitts is making me want to go watch "Cloud Dancer" again. :D

Diana said:
All this talking about the Pitts is making me want to go watch "Cloud Dancer" again.

I've got one word for you Diana and its not a clear flight bag. Marchetti.

Anthony said:
I've got one word for you Diana and its not a clear flight bag. Marchetti.
Hmmmmm. I need a visual aide. Are there any video clips of a Marchetti in flight? How much do they cost? How can I get a ride in one?

Diana said:
It's my understanding that the standard CJ-6 does not have inverted oil, but there is an option to add that in some cases.

I guess you're right. Perhaps the two CJ's I've flown were the exception.

Diana said:
Hmmmmm. I need a visual aide. Are there any video clips of a Marchetti in flight? How much do they cost? How can I get a ride in one?

Some of the mock air combat outfits use the SF-360. The pilot and copilot sit side by side rather than tandem. IIRC there is a third seat for one passenger behind the crew but it cannot be used when flying acro. Other issues are tip tanks that must be empty for acro and retractable gear which makes this a rather slippery airplane. I flew one a couple times a long time ago and I think I recall the controls being a bit heavy, certainly a lot heavier than Chip's Extra. IMO these aircraft are most appealing to someone who wants a combination travelling machine and acrobatic bird. Last time I looked you could buy a decent one for around $200k.

Anthony said:
IMHO. Don't see the Air Combat guys using the "Romanian Wonder". :rofl:

Uh oh....Sounds like fighting words...

Anthony said:
Both great planes, but don't have the cross country capabilities (Pitts) or coolness factor of the CJ or Yak.
What?!?!? The Pitts is a fine cross country machine. I just flew a 1400 nm round trip to Gastons. And loved every minute of it.

:hairraise:

lancefisher said:
I guess you're right. Perhaps the two CJ's I've flown were the exception.
I just heard back from Terry "The CJ does not have inverted oil. There is a header fuel tank which keeps you from losing fuel pressure so the answer (how long can the CJ fly inverted?) is probably until the engine seizes from lack of oil pressure. My experience is the oil pressure goes to zero after about 5 potatoes, or even quicker in a negative G environment."

Nor will you see me taking Air Combat rides either...don't need to.B)

I prefer utility and affordability over panache.:frog:

This one performs aerobatic at airshows in CA:

Dcp00612.jpg

Anthony said:
You get what you pay for. Don't see the Air Combat guys using the "Romanian Wonder". :rofl:

That's a really nice looking IAR. What I like about the SF260 is its aerobatic capabilities and its ability to cruise at 190 knots. I think its a great combination between the aerobatic and cross country machine. They are a little pricey though but not totally out of reach like some of these toys.

And I have a weakness for the sexy planes.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/tap/large/0000738580-01-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dean said:
Well, Dean, I'm not sure if you really got the answers you were looking for. Would this be as a second airplane that you wouldn't travel great distances in, or would it be your only airplane that would need to be versatile as well as aerobatic? Do you want a warbird?

Back