Yahoo closes Free Geocities - New Home Needed

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
I got an email saying Yahoo/geocities was ending their free web hosting this year. Anyone have a free site they use they'd recommend?

I use what my service provider at home provides me with at no extra charge. Of course, you could always get a static IP address, and host your own website at no charge - other than the cost of the static IP and storage.

Thanks all. I do have the option with my service provider but I kind of wanted to stay away from them since I've moved 4 times in the last 3 years. Since I seem to have anchored myself here (bought the house), I guess I could consider it.
What I liked about a service was that I could move and it didn't have to. Kind of like having a webmail account.
I'll take a look at the microsoft site. That might work for my needs.

I got an email saying Yahoo/geocities was ending their free web hosting this year. Anyone have a free site they use they'd recommend?

I use sites.google.com for my home page, and it works for me. (My page is fairly simple and doesn't change much 'tho, so my experience is limited.)

Chris
[Disclaimer: I work for Google. I don't work on the Google Sites project.]

Paid web hosting isn't terribly expensive for low-volume web sites these days. Somewhere in the area of $9-10/month can get you a decent bandwidth and storage setup.

I'm currently using HostGator and hosting mine as well as my dad's websites on there. I think it's $10-14/month or so - paid annually.

Back