Ya think this is NOTAM'd?

Saw that earlier today on weather.com and couldn't find one. Turns out the airfield is private, though, and used to be used for Grumman's aircraft. Something tells me they don't use the strip much, and any pilot intending to land would likely see that whole mess of cars pretty quickly on short final!

I flew over Calverton last week and from a distance just thought there was a massive car show going on...this explains it.

According to Google Earth, the runways are X'd out.
Doesn't look like it's used as an airfield anymore.

There are a few skydive operations that run out of Calverton Airport. They're seasonal operations, but I doubt the runway is closed seasonally.

After searching, I don't find 3C8/Calverton in an A/FD, but did find some info that 14/32 was closed at one point but was returned to service.

After Hurricane Katrina, Hope Arkansas airport had something like 10,000 of the FEMA trailers parked on all but one of its runways -- quite a sight from the air.

After Hurricane Katrina, Hope Arkansas airport had something like 10,000 of the FEMA trailers parked on all but one of its runways -- quite a sight from the air.

And I think there is still 9,999 left sitting there rotting in the weather....:eek:

Back