Xplane 11.10-now with G1000 and true VR

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
An FYI that may be of interest to some from a training aspect. The new x-plane upgrade is out and now contains GA aircraft with G1000 style avionics. If you are looking for transition training (as I am), this would be significantly less costly than actual hobbs hours for getting familiar with the display.

Also in this version is a true VR capability. The description is that you can now sit in the plane with full 360 degree views by turning your head. All the controls you see are VR enabled, so you can interact with them directly rather than via the keyboard. I have not done anything with this yet since it will require a pretty hefty graphics card upgrade plus a rather expensive VR set up - estimating $1000 for me and I already have one of the best CPUs out there. I suspect, with this being the first iteration, that it is pretty rough, but that it will continously get better over time.

I'd be really interested to see how this comes out for Samsung Gear. From reading the release notes, I'm not sure how the controls are manipulated. Looks really cool tho.

I'd be really interested to see how this comes out for Samsung Gear. From reading the release notes, I'm not sure how the controls are manipulated. Looks really cool tho.

While not able to fly I had contact with a friend of mine who is an avid flight sim person, and very good with data, so he invited me over so I could see what sims might help with and not. He had Xplane.
He had all the graphics, etc. for normal so we worked with that first. But then he handed me his VR goggles, said "try these" and man...after adjusting, I was sitting in a Cessna 172.

I was very blown away. Was my first time using VR so I can't compare but it was amazing.
Out of the air I see him handing me two controllers, one each hand.
Now keep in mind he said it was the beta version. And he had JUST hooked it up, had not tweaked parameters, etc.

I say this because I had two main problems. He hand controllers he had, uses a kind of vertical axis motion for flipping say the master switch on. Was very hard to do consistently....for me.
But the hardest was with the yoke, aileron control was natural, and normal (same motion as in life) but elevator control was also...hard to explain but kinda the same as switch flipping, which consisted of...if it were a gun, angling to the roof, without moving the hand then down to below the horizon, using wrist only. Probably just needs a Lillie getting used to.

It was amazing through!

While not able to fly I had contact with a friend of mine who is an avid flight sim person, and very good with data, so he invited me over so I could see what sims might help with and not. He had Xplane.
He had all the graphics, etc. for normal so we worked with that first. But then he handed me his VR goggles, said "try these" and man...after adjusting, I was sitting in a Cessna 172.

I was very blown away. Was my first time using VR so I can't compare but it was amazing.
Out of the air I see him handing me two controllers, one each hand.
Now keep in mind he said it was the beta version. And he had JUST hooked it up, had not tweaked parameters, etc.

I say this because I had two main problems. He hand controllers he had, uses a kind of vertical axis motion for flipping say the master switch on. Was very hard to do consistently....for me.
But the hardest was with the yoke, aileron control was natural, and normal (same motion as in life) but elevator control was also...hard to explain but kinda the same as switch flipping, which consisted of...if it were a gun, angling to the roof, without moving the hand then down to below the horizon, using wrist only. Probably just needs a Lillie getting used to.

It was amazing through!

So the controls were all virtual? Or did he have some sort of hardware? If I'm not able to use my yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant, and trim it would be a non-starter for me.

So the controls were all virtual? Or did he have some sort of hardware? If I'm not able to use my yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant, and trim it would be a non-starter for me.

Sorry, I can't answer that. He let me use it just towards the end. There was an issue, he didn't have dedicated rudder pedals so turned on some kind of auto-rudder adjustment so it followed the ailerons. Best probably to go the Xplane forums, I'm sure they talk about it there.

Back