XP & Vista

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
About a year and a half ago I upgraded my home desktop and of course it came with Vista. Despite all the negativity surrounding Vista, I have never had a problem with it.

Yesterday I wanted to do some stuff and went to install a couple of programs I've had for years and ran on my old XP system. Needless to say, the installation only went so far and the "Windows XP Installer" hung. Now I know you can run a program as XP when its installed (as with Golden Eagle) but if I can't get it installed, how do I run it as XP?

I use these programs so infrequently that it doesn't make sense to buy new copies at $100+. Is there a way to install them?

Also, how do I find out if I'm running 32 bit or 64 bit?

To ascertain 32 or 64, right-click "Computer" and select "Properties" and then the "General" tab. The version will be displayed somewhere on the panel. (You can also try entering "winver" in the search box; but I'm not sure this works on Vista.)

As for the XP compatibility mode in Vista, to say it's imperfect would be a compliment. Here's the "official" answer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Or you can right-click the Setup executable, choose "Properties," select the "Compatibility" tab, and choose "Windows XP."

It works sometimes. YMMV.

-Rich

Try running it as Administrator.

vista_updated.JPG

I have used both of the above solutions to get Golden Eagle to work once the program is installed, but how do I install it?

P.S. I'm running 64 bit, thx

Just do the same with the setup executable itself. That should tell the OS to install the program in compatibility mode. YMMV.

-Rich

I don't understand. How do I do that?

The easier way, if it works, is to right-click on the installer's executable (the setup file, usually called "setup.exe" or "install.exe"), then select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and then select Windows XP as the compatibility option.

The other way is to go to Control Panel -> Programs, and then click "Use an older program with this version of Windows," or something quite similar to that (not sure if those are the exact words, but they're close).

If you have UAC enabled, you'll be asked to confirm, and may have to enter an Administrator's password.

-Rich

The easier way, if it works, is to right-click on the installer's executable (the setup file, usually called "setup.exe" or "install.exe"), then select Properties, then the Compatibility tab, and then select Windows XP as the compatibility option.

The other way is to go to Control Panel -> Programs, and then click "Use an older program with this version of Windows," or something quite similar to that (not sure if those are the exact words, but they're close).

If you have UAC enabled, you'll be asked to confirm, and may have to enter an Administrator's password.

-Rich

I'll try that. Thanks.

Back