XP, 7 or 8?

I don't know "van", but he's saying the Virtual machine characteristics. Changing the number of processor cores, etc. Leave the VM settings alone, Windows Genuine Disadvantage doesn't think you moved it to new hardware. Can even copy the virtual image to a different physical host. If you do change something all you have to do is tell the nice lady or gentleman in India it's a virtual machine and you gave it more cores. They'll give you a code to type in and you're done.

That's all well and good as long as you don't end up needing to replace the real machine that the virtual machine is installed in.

I don't know "van", but he's saying the Virtual machine characteristics. Changing the number of processor cores, etc. Leave the VM settings alone, Windows Genuine Disadvantage doesn't think you moved it to new hardware. Can even copy the virtual image to a different physical host. If you do change something all you have to do is tell the nice lady or gentleman in India it's a virtual machine and you gave it more cores. They'll give you a code to type in and you're done.

I meant VM, iPhone autocorrected to van.

I've probably called that damn Windows activation number a hundred times, maybe even more. I've never had them not give me the code to please the activation system nor have I ever met someone that says they've experienced anything other than that. It's just a scare tactic to keep piracy at bay and is used to identify product codes that are being mass-used so they can shut them down.

That's all well and good as long as you don't end up needing to replace the real machine that the virtual machine is installed in.

It doesn't matter. Windows doesn't see the underlying hardware change. It only sees the VM hardware.

Back