XM WX on the iPad

But what’s been missing when comparing the iPad to a more robust, dedicated GPS is XM weather connectivity. No more. Baron Services announced the development of a system that will enable XM weather to be displayed on the iPad.
I hope Baron Services has no relation to Baron Thomas!

What's it mean - " connects to the WxWorx receiver through the antenna."

I have an XM radio/antenna that I use with my Garmin 496 and I already have an XM weather subscription that it uses. Somebody please, develop a way to just unplug that from the 496 and into my iPad and get all that on Foreflight!

If it involves the WxWorks box, then it's not happening for me -- I just don't want another box and more wires loose in my cockpit than I have already.

Hmmm. Sounds nice, but you need the WxWorx box ($546), the Bluetooth module ($185), and the MobileLink device ($200) for a total of $931 - And that's before you even start paying for the subscription. Still not gonna do it for me - I'd sure like the wx on my iPad, but the value just isn't there, especially considering that my iPad with everything it does cost $100 less than this mess of gadgets that only adds weather.

I guess I'm still stuck holding out for ADS-B to be built out - Even if the hardware is this expensive, there won't be a subscription fee.

If it involves the WxWorks box, then it's not happening for me -- I just don't want another box and more wires loose in my cockpit than I have already.

And there's that. Even though it looks like Bluetooth is the only interface via which the WxWorx box and the iPad can communicate, something tells me that the WxWorx' battery won't last nearly as long as the iPad's, so there'd have to be a power cable in use there.

Too bad the iPad doesn't have built-in ADS-B. ;) Unfortunately, there will ALWAYS have to be some sort of "another box" to get weather into the iPad. It's just not an aviation-specific device, and nobody else cares.

Last edited:
Wonder if it will work with the older WxWorx receiver.....

Talking about ADS-B receiver for iPad. I just googled it and the first link I got was http://www.skyradar.net/. SkyRadar Receiver is $895 for the next couple days which makes it cheaper then XM setup.

Hmmm. Sounds nice, but you need the WxWorx box ($546), the Bluetooth module ($185), and the MobileLink device ($200) for a total of $931 - And that's before you even start paying for the subscription.

Yes bit for those of us who have access to a receiver and a subscription already and have no desire to ever use it or boot the FlightPrep machine ever again... This is a mega-win. :D

(As long as Foreflight truly supports it and that's not just wishful thinking and press release pressure from Barron.) ;)

Yes bit for those of us who have access to a receiver and a subscription already and have no desire to ever use it or boot the FlightPrep machine ever again... This is a mega-win. :D

(As long as Foreflight truly supports it and that's not just wishful thinking and press release pressure from Barron.) ;)

With permission now granted, I am allowed to tell you that Baron's press release was written with ForeFlight's permission... And that is all I can say for now. ;)

And hopefully it will work with the older "hockey puck" WxWorx receiver. If not, I'll have to contemplate a NavWorx ADS-B portable receiver & some other kind of software package.

Back