XM wx and on-board traffic v. Stratus

AlanM

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Needles
Hi. I fly/rent a G1000 C172SP that has an XM wx subscription (paid for by the owner) and has traffic info. Given that such systems are integrated into the G1000, why would I need a Stratus? I don't particularly care about SV, the GPS (G1000 has it) or back-up AHRS (C172SP has back-up round gauges). I just don't see the benefit of an almost $900 outlay for the S2. Thoughts???:dunno:

It's redundancy at that point. You probably don't need it but it may be nice to have. I chose redundancy in my case and I like the extra situational awareness. I have two sources of weather, two sources of traffic, two sources of Synvis and two sources of charts/plates.

It's redundancy at that point. You probably don't need it but it may be nice to have. I chose redundancy in my case and I like the extra situational awareness. I have two sources of weather, two sources of traffic, two sources of Synvis and two sources of charts/plates.

The owner is too cheap to buy a plate subscription. However, thanks for the redundancy comments, much appreciated.:D

Back