XM weather on 530 vs 496

Martymccasland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M.McCasland
Q: Any strong opinion of having Wx on a 530 vs a 496?

Reason for asking: We have an A36 Bonanza with XM weather displayed on a 530 via a GDL69 (not a GDL69A that can also play XM radio). The plane is going in the shop to add an Aspen, new audio panel, and we'd like to add the ability to listen to XM.

We thought about just getting a cheap $100 portable XM receiver and plugging it into one of the music input jacks on the new audio panel. However, I have an old 496 in my closet from a previous plane that can receive the XM radio in addition to XM weather. I always enjoyed the 496, particularly the Wx display. Also enjoyed the audible alerts like, "500", "terrain", cross-filling with the 530, extended runway centerlines to better aid in finding a runway in a strange place...

We thought about just panel-mounting the 496 at the bottom of the stack, transferring our XM subscription to the 496, getting XM radio, and also having a backup GPS, audible alerts, etc...

Is there any downsides to disabling the GDL69 and just showing weather on the 496. We have the full Aviator package and I know some Wx screens available on the 496 don't show on the 530 -- like freezing level, satellite mosaic, local city forecasts, etc... Seems like the 496 may actually be better for getting the most out of XM, plus would free-up the 530 to show Stormscope data while the 496 shows Nexrad -- but I wanted to ask before doing having them cut in the panel.

Thanks in advance.

I am a fan of the XM being on the 530, especially since it's already there. What would they charge to swap out the GDL 69 for a used 69A? :D
I added a 69A on my new panel instead of the GDL 88 ADS-B, I just wanted to have music without loose wires and I like XM weather. :dunno:

The two downsides of which I can think are:
  1. The inability to display the weather from the 496 on the 530.
  2. The need for an extra box and wires in the cockpit.
That said, I'm running all my XM (weather and audio) through my Garmin Aera 510 (soft-wired into the audio system) rather than getting a GDL-69A.

I looked for an XM receiver for music only for my plane, and I would have added the GDL 88 instead of the 69A, but I couldn't find anything panel mounted that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg! :mad2:

As a kind of tie-breaker, it's worth considering that for IFR flying, the 496 has some value as an emergency back-up instrument.

It makes a pretty good heading indicator in case you lose only that instrument. I would choose it over the whiskey compass.

If you lose all your vacuum instruments, it's still helpful because of its simulated six-pack mode. I've tried my 396 in that mode while flying under the hood (with a safety pilot). Relying on only the 396 and my pitot-static instruments, I was able to fly straight and level well enough to stay alive.

If you lose your electrical system, it still works for a while because of its battery.

Last edited:
I have weather on both the 530W and a 396. I don't use the weather info on the 530W for anything other then displaying the XM radar on the navigation page; I don't get much use out of the XM page. On the other hand, my 396 is yoke mounted and I am constantly scanning airport METARs, looking at the radar track in animation mode. I personally find the METAR function to be very useful as it helps me stay ahead of the flight. I am not sure how to even pull up in-route non-destination METARs on the 530W.

That being said, my 396 is yoke mounted; it is very handy to use. I do not think I would like the 396 nearly as much if it were panel mounted. The wiring from the XM and GPS antennas and the power cord is neatly bundled and doesn't present any issue. I added a breaker to my side panel so power is fed directly without using the lighter plug.

In my opinion, if I could only have one of the two I'd give up the 530W.

I fly a BE58 Baron so my yoke is probably the same as our Bonanza provided you don't have the throw-over model. I'd be glad to provide pics on how I mounted everything to the yoke.

I agree very much with Baron2PG

I have my Aera 560 on the yoke and the GNS 530. It is easier to play with the XM weather on the 560 than on the 530. The 560 also has finer resolution for weather. No sense on putting the 496 on the panel because it would be harder to see the picture than on the yoke.

José

Attachments

• 560 on Yoke.JPG
    560 on Yoke.JPG
    684.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 396 on Yoke.JPG
    396 on Yoke.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 13
The colors and resolution on the 496 screen are far, far superior to those on the 530W screen. I think it is also easier to navigate the weather products and scan ahead with the 496. I currently have a 530W/430W combo and opted to add a 496 for XM vs. the GDL-69A 6+ years ago, and would make the same choice today if going with XM. Cost is a huge factor, but the 496 offers so many more features and adds redundancies that have value. Hardwiring it with the Garmin power & data cable means there is no concern about charging the battery or entering flight plan info either since it gets pushed down from the panel.

I just turned off XM though since I'm taking the plane out of service for an engine overhaul and am contemplating selling my 496 and going with ADS-B in the spring when I start flying again.

I fly a BE58 Baron so my yoke is probably the same as our Bonanza provided you don't have the throw-over model. I'd be glad to provide pics on how I mounted everything to the yoke.

Yes, please send Baron mounting pictures... And yes, I have a dual-yoke A36 / yokes are probably identical or close to it.

Thanks much.

I have weather on both the 530W and a 396.

One other question: Did you have to buy 2 XM subscriptions to get XM on 2 devices? My avionics shop told us the old GDL69 could not feed the 496... Very interested if you found a way to pay XM once but show it on 2 screens.

I am not sure how to even pull up in-route non-destination METARs on the 530W.

It's a pain. While in NAV, turn the the small knob to the Wx page. Put the Wx page in METAR mode. Press MENU and choose to enter cursor mode. Use the big and little knob to cursor to an airport. Once you are on an airport and it looks selected (might have to zoom in), press ENTER -- and you'll see the METAR.

Can also do it from the NRST page, but it too is no where near as straight forward as on the 496.

It's a pain. While in NAV, turn the the small knob to the Wx page. Put the Wx page in METAR mode. Press MENU and choose to enter cursor mode. Use the big and little knob to cursor to an airport. Once you are on an airport and it looks selected (might have to zoom in), press ENTER -- and you'll see the METAR.

Can also do it from the NRST page, but it too is no where near as straight forward as on the 496.

Wow, no wonder I don't use the 530W for that function! WAYYYYY easier with the 396/496.

Searched for a pic of the 396 mount and couldn't find anything worthwhile. I'll take a pic and find the model/part number of the mount when I get out to the airport this weekend. All in all, it looks very similar to the PILOTO pics.

As for the subscription, no such luck as I have two Aviator level subscriptions as well as three car accounts (ouch). I really should cancel the 530W but I also like the music; forgot about that one. The 530W provides XM music piped through the audio panel. The volume control is very poor.

The way things are going with the government these days I don't know for how long they are going to justify the ADS-B UAT infrastructure cost. After all is only used by private piston planes. Remember LORAN, and it was cheaper to maintain. Besides XM\WX I use my smartphone when flying in the Caribbean (no XM or ADS-B there).

José

The way things are going with the government these days I don't know for how long they are going to justify the ADS-B UAT infrastructure cost. After all is only used by private piston planes. Remember LORAN, and it was cheaper to maintain. Besides XM\WX I use my smartphone when flying in the Caribbean (no XM or ADS-B there).

José

It'll just be worked in as part of your user fees.

Pilot: Jose

Origin: KMDW
Destination: KATL

Nov 17, Clearance Delivery Fee, $28.50
Nov 17, Midway Ground Fee, $12.00
Nov 17, Midway Tower, $32.00
Nov 17, Chicago Departure, $44.00
Nov 17, ATC Centers, $75.00
Nov 17, ATL Approach, $44.00
Nov 17, ATL Tower, $32.00
Nov 17, ATL Ground, $12.00
Nov 17, ADS-B Services, FREE

At the risk of thread drift, what other Garmin portables should I look at to replace my 496?

I just sold my 210, and left the 496 in it, as it was wired in a nice way with music to the intercom, cross-fill from the 530W, antennae nicely concealed.

The 496 was my favorite thing in the plane. (I have always said that, after flying with XM Weather, a moving map, an engine monitor, and an autopilot, I would never want to fly without those things.

Now I will enter the ranks of plane renters and borrowers (if I cannot succeed in kicking the flying bug entirely).

I will probably buy another 496, but wanted opinions on other portable GPS units with XM.

Wells

You could go with the aera 560, which is a more modern 496. If you have the room you could upgrade to the 696, or 720.

At the risk of thread drift, what other Garmin portables should I look at to replace my 496?

I just sold my 210, and left the 496 in it, as it was wired in a nice way with music to the intercom, cross-fill from the 530W, antennae nicely concealed.

The 496 was my favorite thing in the plane. (I have always said that, after flying with XM Weather, a moving map, an engine monitor, and an autopilot, I would never want to fly without those things.

Now I will enter the ranks of plane renters and borrowers (if I cannot succeed in kicking the flying bug entirely).

I will probably buy another 496, but wanted opinions on other portable GPS units with XM.

Wells

I was in a similar situation and after looking at various options I opted for the Aera 560. Very happy with my decision. The XM\WX works very well even inside my hangar. The 560 will give you GPS position inside the hangar with the built in antenna, very sensitive.

I have mine directly wired to power, audio and remote antenna. I found the internal battery to be useable for mavbe two hours without the XM and the display dimmed. Make sure you carry the lighter cable for power.

I added a hood to my 560 for the trekie looks but found that it actually helps on enhancing the contrast in direct sunlight.

José

Attachments

• Aera on yoke.JPG
    Aera on yoke.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 8
I added a hood to my 560 for the trekie looks but found that it actually helps on enhancing the contrast in direct sunlight.

José

What pushed you to a Aera 560 vs 510? I looked on Garmin's site and see the 560 has more automotive features and the SafeTaxi stuff.

I was thinking the 510 since it would never leave the plane -- and I have the georeferenced taxi diagrams in Foreflight.

Anything else you lose by getting the 510 over the 560?

What pushed you to a Aera 560 vs 510? I looked on Garmin's site and see the 560 has more automotive features and the SafeTaxi stuff.

I was thinking the 510 since it would never leave the plane -- and I have the georeferenced taxi diagrams in Foreflight.

Anything else you lose by getting the 510 over the 560?

The taxi diagrams, the airways and the weather. The taxi diagrams had helped me a lot on finding my way at night and in haze.

I have a 530AW for primary navigation and approaches. But I always cross check my approaches with the 560 HSI, that works very well. Once you land the 560 switches to the taxi diagram.

A very well thoughout unit.

José

Back