XM Weather Link Logs from Avidyne EMAX

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
The Avidyne MFD records logfiles of engine, flight parameters as well as XM weather downloads. I've been working on some software to analyze these things. Now I'm looking at the XM logs which are pretty cryptic and contain fields with names like sat1_ber_lsb and rs_block_msb.

Of course there is no documentation (at least that I can find) on what these mean and what kind of values to expect.

That hasn't stopped me. I've put together a short write up of what I know, deduce, and guess this stuff means. You can view it here.

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide in figuring out what to look for and how to present it.

Joe

Joe,
XM broadcasts from 2 satellites in geosynchronous orbit and from ground based repeaters. The currently transmitting satellites are Rhythm at 85W and Blues at 115W.
explains why they don't have it available in AK or HI, right? (Or did I get that incorrectly off their website?)

Joe,
explains why they don't have it available in AK or HI, right? (Or did I get that incorrectly off their website?)
Grant,

I think the satellite locations explain HI but AK is by design. A bigger footprint like Sat TV means more power, and ground based transponders are probably cost prohibitive. There is coverage in the southern Canada and AK.

Joe

The Avidyne MFD records logfiles of engine, flight parameters as well as XM weather downloads. I've been working on some software to analyze these things. Now I'm looking at the XM logs which are pretty cryptic and contain fields with names like sat1_ber_lsb and rs_block_msb.

Of course there is no documentation (at least that I can find) on what these mean and what kind of values to expect.

That hasn't stopped me. I've put together a short write up of what I know, deduce, and guess this stuff means. You can view it here.

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide in figuring out what to look for and how to present it.

Joe

I know I've seen some documentation on the protocol used by XM receivers but I can't remember where. I do know someone at XM that might point in the right direction, I'll send him a query.

I know I've seen some documentation on the protocol used by XM receivers but I can't remember where. I do know someone at XM that might point in the right direction, I'll send him a query.
Thanks Lance!

Analyzing these files is a fun project but it would be easier if I didn't have to guess so much.

Joe

You haven't anything on the 'net?

Usually some intrepid 15 y/o Finnish kid has already produced nice documentation, but then, again, I guess that the piloting community doesn't have a lot of those.

~ Christopher

You haven't anything on the 'net?

Usually some intrepid 15 y/o Finnish kid has already produced nice documentation, but then, again, I guess that the piloting community doesn't have a lot of those.

~ Christopher
I've been searching but haven't fond anything, yet. Maybe it's because there's no XM coverage in Finland yet.

Joe

Back