XM Radio subsrciptions and Garmin Handhelds

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone know if the XM radio subscription is associated with the plug in XM antenna or the Garmin portable itself?

In other words, if I have a active XM aviation subscription that I use with a Garmin Aera, can I use the antenna on a different Garmin or do I need a second XM subscription?

I think it's the antenna itself. I have the older type antenna with my 696, the newer ones have a different set of plans with XM.

If my antenna goes T.U., I would get the new antenna. The 'newer' base plan has winds aloft included, not so with 'aviator lite'.

When you call to get the subscription they ask for the device ID number, which is on the device, not the antenna. I know all my other XM radios didn't care what antenna I plugged in, it was all about the radio itself. I'd expect the garmin products to be the same.

When you call to get the subscription they ask for the device ID number, which is on the device, not the antenna. I know all my other XM radios didn't care what antenna I plugged in, it was all about the radio itself. I'd expect the garmin products to be the same.
Yeah, I think you are right. I couldn't remember if the ID number was on the antenna or the unit.

The ID is on the antenna.

CIMG5847_zpsdvnfaldd.jpg

And, as always, the best deal for pilots is the "master mariner" subscription. Someone please, steal my identity and renew my subscription with the number above!:yes:

CIMG5847_zpsdvnfaldd.jpg

And, as always, the best deal for pilots is the "master mariner" subscription. Someone please, steal my identity and renew my subscription with the number above!:yes:
I WANT to believe you....are you sure there isn't a separate number on the Garmin unit itself?

Here is the number to the aviation wing at XM, 800 985 9200.

Let us know what number they like.

When I activated mine a few months ago I read the number off the screen. The SID number. My antenna is stuck to the dash, so I wasn't gonna be looking at the bottom of it.

CIMG5847_zpsdvnfaldd.jpg

I see what you did there...;);)....:thumbsup:

The SID you sent it displayed on your handheld and printed on the puck.

CIMG5847_zpsdvnfaldd.jpg

Well, that didn't work.

They wanted a credit card to upgrade this number to a Master Mariner subscription. Not going there.

However, they were more than willing to change the address and send me a pro-rated refund when asked to cancel the subscription!!

Well, that didn't work.

They wanted a credit card to upgrade this number to a Master Mariner subscription. Not going there.

However, they were more than willing to change the address and send me a pro-rated refund when asked to cancel the subscription!!

We need to change the logo here to something along the lines of "Deviants of America!":yes:

You know...........

I read that SXM devices can only receive and not transmit. So when you "activate" your radio all they do is remove one more identifier from the satellites continuous transmission where your radio just picks up if it's "authorized" or not to play the data it's already receiving. When you cancel your subscription your radio eventually picks up that's it's on the "kill" list and self deactivates.

This being said, yes, I have looked into this when I was wondering if it's possible to get SXM radio in my car for free.

What I DID learn is that it's possible no matter what radio you have. You just need a soldering kit and some type of computer chip reader/writer to reprogram it's identifier so that it never "sees itself" on that kill list so it just keeps playing.

There is a different method though. Since the satellite can only transmit so much data you can simply hide your receiver without powering it on for 6 months and eventually the satellite recycles your identifier from the "kill list" However, It could pop up back on that list on and off throughout time since it costs them nothing to assure that radios that probably already did get de-activated long ago are really de-activated.

Now, I'm not sure how much has changed from 3 years ago when I snooped around on this matter but that's my $0.02 on this matter :)

I can be a cheapskate, but I am lazy too, this would be WAY too much trouble for me to save $10 a month! :D:D

You know...........

I read that SXM devices can only receive and not transmit. So when you "activate" your radio all they do is remove one more identifier from the satellites continuous transmission where your radio just picks up if it's "authorized" or not to play the data it's already receiving. When you cancel your subscription your radio eventually picks up that's it's on the "kill" list and self deactivates.

This being said, yes, I have looked into this when I was wondering if it's possible to get SXM radio in my car for free.

What I DID learn is that it's possible no matter what radio you have. You just need a soldering kit and some type of computer chip reader/writer to reprogram it's identifier so that it never "sees itself" on that kill list so it just keeps playing.

There is a different method though. Since the satellite can only transmit so much data you can simply hide your receiver without powering it on for 6 months and eventually the satellite recycles your identifier from the "kill list" However, It could pop up back on that list on and off throughout time since it costs them nothing to assure that radios that probably already did get de-activated long ago are really de-activated.

Now, I'm not sure how much has changed from 3 years ago when I snooped around on this matter but that's my $0.02 on this matter :)

You know...........

While that might be useful for some, my situation is very different. I have a working Garmin Aera 510 with active XM aviation subscription.

I am considering buying an another airplane that comes with a Garmin 696. I just want to know if I can leave the Aera in the biplane and swap the antenna back and forth between airplanes.

Sounds like I can.

I'd be interested to find out the results. Most of my experience has been with the Sirius XM radios, which you can swap antennas on all day long and they still work exactly the same.

Should be easy enough to just bring the antenna with you to go look at the new plane, plug it in and find out.

Anyone have music over their 496 with XM? How do you have things hooked up?

Same hookup, but you have to pay extra for radio($10/month I think)

Correct, you just need the intercom audio input hooked up to the garmin 496. I got an email special which allowed me to get 6 months of xm radio for a total of $20. Of course I forgot to cancel and probably got billed $20 for month 7!

The sound isn't bad, but every time you breath in the mic or someone makes a radio call it cuts off for 5 seconds. I found its only use is on a longer solo flight.

Back